Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [1st - 6th February 2019]

Don
Supports a club with just a few thousand fans but only, regularly watches Liverpool games? So you are an Evertonian ;)

Anyway, it doesn't really clear much up but you're not going to say who you support or why you follow Liverpool so we may as well end it here.

Caporegime
Not a great result looking back on the game last night but in the grand scheme of things, we've suffered injuries to players covering the same positions and it's clear our reserves aren't up to standard. Even so, two bad performances and results in a row and we only dropped 1 point to City in that time. Get our players back and the results will pick up again :)

Caporegime
At least our bitter and nasty cretin doesn’t send out our players to injure the other teams when we’ve bottled winning a trophy :)

Oh did Poch say that was on purpose then or was that down to the players? Did Klopp send Mane out to smash Ederson's face in as well then? That was down to the referee letting the game get out of hand on purpose for his own ego and players from both sides should have walked.

At least pick out real quotes or examples. He even admitted he was talking rubbish after the West Brom game because he was angry they didn't win.

I don't like Klopp, I've given examples rather than having some sort of irrational dislike.

Don
Oh did Poch say that was on purpose then or was that down to the players? Did Klopp send Mane out to smash Ederson's face in as well then?

At least pick out real quotes or examples. He even admitted he was talking rubbish after the West Brom game because he was angry they didn't win.

I don't like Klopp, I've given examples rather than having some sort of irrational dislike.
But your examples make you sound very hypocritical. As I've shown, Poch uses the pitch as an 'excuse' too* - didn't hear anything from you on that. This is no different to your criticism of Salah's alleged diving all while never saying a word about Kane or Alli or your 'excuses' posts when Liverpool supporters mentioned the injuries and selection vs Wolves contributing to our FA Cup defeat yet when Spurs got knocked out vs Palace you wrote:
As soon as I saw the line up I knew we we're done for.
He's not going to risk league positions by playing rotation players so they get dragged out in the cup and exposed.

Pretty much what you criticised Liverpool fans for saying :/

*To be clear, unlike you I don't believe he was making excuses. It was a statement on what happened - the pitch was terrible and the ball bounced right as Lamela was about to score. It's just a statement, just like when Klopp said the pitch was poor vs West Brom.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Dunno what you lot are arguing about, but I'm hoping the officials from last night all get a few weeks practice in lower leagues before coming back to the PL.

Offsides, miss-called corners etc, not booking pull-backs on attacks, was just awful all round.

Caporegime
Not criticising Liverpool fans for having their own opinion, they know a lot more with what's going on with their own club than I do. Poch hasn't been given the resources and will rest players in cup games because they don't matter to him. That's gotten on my nerves.

I was questioning how many nearly seasons can Klopp get away with.

Caporegime
Oh did Poch say that was on purpose then or was that down to the players? Did Klopp send Mane out to smash Ederson's face in as well then? That was down to the referee letting the game get out of hand on purpose for his own ego and players from both sides should have walked.

I assume you’re referring to the Chelsea game, but there has been more than one occasion we’ve seen spurs do it. Also the Mane one is a very poor comparison lol

Not sure what your second paragraph means but I’ve said as much above?

You’ve given examples of something managers do in many circumstances, particularly one with heightened media attention.

I don’t hate (although not sure if you’re alluding to I do irrationally or trying to defend your odd position on hating Klopp for very little)Poch and have stated how fantastic I think he has done despite his ‘trickery’ coaching and how he lets his team behave. If we didn’t have Klopp he’d be the manager I want :)

Edit actually it’s probably Pep then Poch

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not criticising Liverpool fans for having their own opinion, they know a lot more with what's going on with their own club than I do. Poch hasn't been given the resources and will rest players in cup games because they don't matter to him. That's gotten on my nerves.

Top 4 + CL knockouts isn’t a nearly season for us and I think our owners accept that. Likewise Spurs haven’t had lots of nearly seasons, rather lots of good ones and one they failed to take advantage of along with the rest of teams who should be above Leicester

Don

As I've said when defending Poch and Spurs in the past, you cannot judge somebody on small details but the overall job they're doing.

You've mentioned the funds Klopp's had previously so lets address this first. He's spent approx £100m net since he arrived. Lets be realistic, over 3-4 years that's not a massive amount and certainly not comparable to what City and Utd spent, heck it's even a fair bit less than Arsenal have spent in the time Klopp's been at Liverpool. The fact that we're signing players for sixty and seventy million is a result of the good work he and Liverpool as a whole have done in the transfer market. When he's spent money he's not wasted it and because he's not frozen players out, when we've sold players we've got decent fees for them. You've mentioned Spurs struggling to sell certain players that have been left to rot in the reserves, Liverpool haven't had this issue. In another thread you've raised the possibility of Spurs selling a key player to allow them to spend more on the squad, well Liverpool done this - we lost our most talented player. It's not a given that you'll be better off as a result though which I'm sure you recognise following the issues Spurs found when spending the Bale money. It appears Klopp/Liverpool didn't make those mistakes though. We've spent more money than Spurs though, no arguments about that but we've also done things different to Spurs and as a result we've built our side quicker (obviously that extra money has also helped in that regard).

Liverpool fell off a cliff in the 14/15 season and by the end of that season Rodgers had lost the plot, the team had no identity, couldn't defend and most worry of all, couldn't score goals. From day 1 there's been clear signs of Liverpool progressing under Klopp. In his first 3/4's of a season he made us competitive again - we were still inconsistent but on our day we were a match for anybody. Yes we lost the EL final but lets add some context to that - our squad was on it's last legs by the time we got to the final and at 1-0 up we had 2 clear penalties not given, 2nd half we were non existent though and we looked like a side that played 60 games with a threadbare squad. In his first full season you started to see Klopp building his side and we had a great first half of the season are were pushing Chelsea close going into the xmas period. We didn't have the depth to our squad though and we fell away when injuries etc built up. We got back into the CL though and used that to build further the summer before last. I don't think anybody could argue that we didn't have a good season last year, despite the loss of the final - there was clear signs of this side taking shape and had it not been for the CL distraction we're probably finishing last season 3rd, if not 2nd. Obviously there was much disappointment in losing the final and there were plenty of trolls jumping for joy after it but it was clear to me that wasn't the end for this side as we've seen this season - we've improved again and despite me not even believing we could at the start of the season, we're challenging City to win the league. It's very possible that we won't win the league this season but if we finish with 94 points, a point behind City is that a failure? I know people love to blame somebody but sometimes you just have to accept that only one side can win the league. If we don't win the league that doesn't mean Klopp has been perfect (or vice versa with Pep if we do win the league) but nobody is - there would have been times where he's made a poor call on team selection, tactics or made a poor sub but that applies to every football manager past and present.

Judge him on what he's done as a whole and whether you believe somebody else is likely to be able to do better. Just like with Poch, Klopp has done an outstanding job and I do not believe anybody else could obviously have done better nor do I believe if we finished 1st or 2nd this season that Klopp isn't the best person to take us into next season.

On the point you make about Poch not taking Cups as seriously, we've had Liverpool supporters saying the same about Klopp and it's a difficult balance to make. Unless you've got a massive squad full of senior players like City and Utd then you have to sacrifice something. Yes you want to win trophies but without the CL it's very difficult to build a side capable of winning the biggest trophies. I'm very much in the camp that qualifying for the CL is worth more than a FA Cup, providing that the club continue to invest, with the aim to reach City's level where you can compete on all fronts. If Liverpool ever got to the situation Arsenal found themselves in during the 2nd half of Wenger's career at Arsenal, where they were qualifying for the CL but seemingly not trying or believing they could progress further, then my views on that would change.

Man of Honour

Right at the moment Klopp can get away with as many nearly seasons as he wants, there are VERY few Liverpool fans that don't want Klopp and even if Liverpool ended up failing to win the title this season I still doubt that Liverpool fans would flock to wanting him out. He is, understandably imo, enormously popular and the majority of Premier League fans would happily have him as their manager I suspect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ironically, the only man who could do better than Klopp is probably Pep, but that’s not happening.

I disagree. We are top of the table by 3 points with a team that cost a fraction of Peps. Peps spent 600 million euros and inherited a title winning team yet is 2nd. He's spent more at City then Klopp has in his entire career, hes also had to deal with one of his best players leaving last Jan.

Permabanned
I disagree. We are top of the table by 3 points with a team that cost a fraction of Peps. Peps spent 600 million euros and inherited a title winning team yet is 2nd. He's spent more at City then Klopp has in his entire career, hes also had to deal with one of his best players leaving last Jan.

Three points will be gone after the direct meeting :D

But last summer transfer window you spent £170.8million [Signings: Alisson Becker (Roma, £65m), Naby Keita (RB Leipzig, £52.8m), Fabinho (Monaco, £40m), Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke, £13m), Bobby Duncan (free)],

while City spent only £60m [Signings: Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City, £60m), Philippe Sandler (PEC Zwolle, undisclosed), Claudio Gomes (Paris-Saint Germain, free), Daniel Arzani (Melbourne City, undisclosed)].
https://talksport.com/football/400115/premier-league-clubs-spent-most-transfers/

Soldato
Very selective there. Just the 60 million on top of the 500 plus he's spent. He's a genius evidently.

Why aren't Newcastle top? They spent 20 mil more then Liverpool in the last window. Rafa out.

Back
Top Bottom