Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [7th - 12th February 2014]

Don
Love the celebration for our 2nd goal. Coutinho, Sterling, Cissokho and Henderson run to our fans to celebrate, Gerrard and Suarez are shouting and pushing the four of them back to the halfway line.

Caporegime
Absolutely dreadful for toure on the second goal too, doing **** all on right side of the box with no one there, then jogs until he realized its dropping to a fulham player, he is too stupid to play for us
Bit harsh on Toure, the whole defence should move over in that situation and Toure had to cover the space. Skrtel was at fault for that goal, should've allowed Flanagan to defend the ball but passed it to their striker instead.

Don
Bit harsh on Toure, the whole defence should move over in that situation and Toure had to cover the space. Skrtel was at fault for that goal, should've allowed Flanagan to defend the ball but passed it to their striker instead.

If Skrtel didn't go for that, the Fulham attacker's favourite to score there.

Caporegime

Think Skrtel going for it is fine, made a hash of it, but if Kolo isn't fannying around it is cleared.

Caporegime
Wow, that celebration has confirmed to me that I never want to see a Stevie G striptease.

snf12womgerrnewe_434775a1.jpg

Yes you do

Don
Good spot on motd re their 2nd goal. Flano and Skrtel seem to agree that Skrtel was picking up Bent and Flano was to watch Richardson. Flanagan left Richardson and went with Bent.

Don
LOL @ the commentator for the Newcastle - Spurs game :D

edit: I watched our game on a Spanish channel. I think I had Sammy Lee commentating in Spanish. It was equally fantastic as this guy.

This guy has got to stop saying Cisse. I'm in tears.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Flamini's available for the FA Cup game this weekend? I thought he got a 4 game ban?

Pretty sure his ban includes the FA cup tie against you lot. He was banned for the Palace game, Liverpool game, Utd game and the game on the weekend.

Not sure where you read or heard that Baz??, cant find anything on the net regarding him being back for the FA Cup tie this weekend.

EDIT: Just reading an article about Ozil on the evening standard website and it says in there that Flamini is serving a 3 match ban. So dont know whether to take that with a pinch of salt or if they have reduced it to 3:confused:

The link: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...t-hes-working-hard-to-get-better-9121037.html

Right near the bottom.

Caporegime
It's really not clear if he got a three or four match ban with multiple stories saying one or the other.

I'm going to hazard a guess that it was only a three match ban as I finally found this on the FA website.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/suspensions

list of current suspensions which doesn't include Flamini so will assume Utd was the last game it counted for.

Reading up on it, I think people believed it would be a 4 game ban as a 3 game ban for a straight red + one more for having a previous suspension. But you only get a longer ban for getting suspended for the same offence. So if you get a red card for a bad tackle, and get 3 games, then further in the season get a red for two yellow card offences, it's just a one game ban. If you get another red for a bad tackle, same offence, it becomes a 4 game ban rather than 3 game.

So I don't think there is any chance it's a four game ban.

Soldato
Not buying a striker in the window was a monumental **** up by Wenger. How many chances does Giroud miss? He must have one of the worst conversion rates in the premier league. He's not even holding up the ball well any more although to be fair there is never anyone near him.

I watched Ozil quite closely last night and think he's being let down by the team, there is hardly anyone offering for the ball in the final third, no runs behind the defence and no one busting a lung to support a break / attack. Without a Ramsey / Walcott there is no outlet at all. He's not a player who will beat a bunch of defenders or rocket in long shots, he's a passer and needs people to pass to. Can see it being a typical Feb for Arsenal, we won't beat Liverpool and Bayern playing like that.

Soldato
Not buying a striker in the window was a monumental **** up by Wenger. How many chances does Giroud miss? He must have one of the worst conversion rates in the premier league. He's not even holding up the ball well any more although to be fair there is never anyone near him.

I watched Ozil quite closely last night and think he's being let down by the team, there is hardly anyone offering for the ball in the final third, no runs behind the defence and no one busting a lung to support a break / attack. Without a Ramsey / Walcott there is no outlet at all. He's not a player who will beat a bunch of defenders or rocket in long shots, he's a passer and needs people to pass to. Can see it being a typical Feb for Arsenal, we won't beat Liverpool and Bayern playing like that.

I thought Giroud gave Vidic a bit of a torrid time in the first half. In fairness to him I don't think he had a guilt edge chance that you could lament him missing. However I do agree that he is not a world class striker and I think you need one to win the EPL or CL for that matter. Arsenal look less of a threat without Walcott and in some ways they suffer the same sort of selection conundrum as United. Trying to accomodate players in positions that are not their best. I wasnt impressed by Carzola or Rosicky. Wilshere I can see is a out and out CM but Arteta seemed to be the holding CM. I think all those players make the Arsenal style quite narrow. Without Walcott's pace things did look a little sterile and there seemed little Wenger could do to change that.

Having said all that, I do feel that Wenger has fashioned quite a hard working unit that closed down very well for the most part, making it very difficult for United to have much decent possession. In the past Arsenal have a periods where they completely bamboozled United with their passing but it never really got going last night. As for Ozil. I think he is over rated. He looks mentally weak to me but hey what do I know.

Back
Top Bottom