Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [7th - 12th February 2014]

Associate
I don't think any Liverpool fan seriously reckons we're gonna win the title this season. Too many bad decisions went against us in the Chelsea/Man City/ Arsenal away games. I think we will finish in the top four though. Optimistic for third.

Soldato
A question for Lliverpool fans: Do you believe that you can win the title this year?

I believe that we can, but I don't necessarily believe that we will. It will take a fair chunk of luck and some almighty performances against United/Spurs/City and Chelsea to even see us in with a chance.

I do think though that Arsenal could be out of the top 4 by the end of March and so there could be a lot of movement in that top 6.

Caporegime
I currently think Liverpool can and probably will finish above Arsenal, though I think that might partially depend on who goes through this weekend and/or how they treat the competition. If either team just puts out a b team for this game or every game if they get through and ignore it then they have a better chance at the league. Arsenal have euro games but lets be honest, that is only two games. The moral hit from losing, the games around the two games and any injuries we pick up over a more busy period will determine what is likely to happen for the rest of our season. Busy and tough games then followed up by a very tough couple weeks in March. I just see us continuing to drop.

Pool have their best shot at the title this year than many years into the future, financially they can't afford the same kind of squads, no Euro has been huge for Liverpool this year and City/Chelsea are both building up with new managers, their improvements in form has been obvious throughout the season. Okay City are having a blip, have to see how long that lasts and how well Pellegrini deals with it. Next year City/Chelsea will be slightly more established with another summer/preseason to work on problems managers found in the year and for both managers to address their weakest spots. For City that will be another dynamic midfielder and probably a CB, Chelsea, maybe a fullback and real striker, both can afford to buy such players. Liverpool will almost certainly have Euro football and not huge amounts of cash to invest so this is their one chance for the next 3-4 years at least I would think.

Arsenal are going to screw it up, Wenger will buy the wrong players, buy someone like Draxler and want him to lead the line instead of Giroud maybe, won't get the defenders we desperately need and we won't have another lucky season injury wise again.

I think probably Chelsea, City, Pool, Arsenal, Spurs this year for top 5 in that order. Next year, probably switch pool/Arsenal around... a lot will depend on if Utd sack Moyes and who they get in. I think most top managers would do big business and get the team working pretty well pretty quickly and could well be in with a shout at top 4 straight away. If they stick with Moyes, I don't be on them being top 4 again next season.

Caporegime
If Liverpool are going to win then they will need to win every match they have against City, Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea and Spurs. (I haven't checked what fixtures they have left) because they cannot rely on other teams slipping up again. Oh and drop Kolo. He's a liability and doesn't look confident on the ball at all.

Associate
Think they still have to play Utd, City, Spurs and Chelsea though.

All at Anfield :cool:

I am worried about Spurs, on paper they have a stronger squad than we do

You forgot Professor Dim Sherwood. They're still in that exciting new manager phase, but the players will get bored in the coming weeks I imagine and his tactical ineptitude will be ever more clear.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with this 100%.
This is a decent team. The problem is that when the tactics are messed up or the motivation/confidence is low, you end up with a title winning side, losing/drawing games that they would previously have won.

This has to be down to management (and within reason, luck).

This is not a bad side and most of the clubs in our league would gladly do a straight swap - their squad for our squad.

The problem is the manager and I'm not sure if Moyes can raise his game...maybe he might improve. Not sure.

Yesterday, I think we played pretty well. We were "solid". Which is what you want when you are not playing at your best. And I also noticed that the attack was more balanced (ie. we didnt see every attacking ball being routed through our wingers). NO complaints from me.

I disagree, last season there was countless matches where RvP bailed the team out time and time again. United were getting outplayed in matches for large periods. It was just the Fergie factor and the fact RvP was scoring for fun last season that won u games that u probably did not deserve to win imo.

It was evident RvP was just covering over the cracks last season and the league was no where near as strong as it has been this season.

Soldato
All at Anfield :cool:

You forgot Professor Dim Sherwood. They're still in that exciting new manager phase, but the players will get bored in the coming weeks I imagine and his tactical ineptitude will be ever more clear.

Yep wait till the honeymoon period is over, i have seen it happen with countless managers and players tbh. Maybe it might last till the end of the season and if he is there next season watch it all blow up in his face. I think he is just an inferior version of Redknapp tbh. Redknapp is a very good man manager but tactically i dont think he has a clue.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I disagree, last season there was countless matches where RvP bailed the team out time and time again. United were getting outplayed in matches for large periods. It was just the Fergie factor and the fact RvP was scoring for fun last season that won u games that u probably did not deserve to win imo.

It was evident RvP was just covering over the cracks last season and the league was no where near as strong as it has been this season.

He wasn't papering over that many cracks. We are something like 21 points worse off than we were last season. Moyes is just not showing any signs at all that he has got what it takes to be the manager of man utd. Tactically he is inept and unless the players are completely ignoring what he tells them it doesn't matter who he signs in the summer.

Last edited:
Soldato
He wasn't papering over that many cracks. We are something like 21 points worse off than we were last season. Moyes is just not showing any signs at all that he has got what it takes to be the manager of man utd.

Well if u watched United last season and dont think he was papering over any cracks then i dont know what to tell u :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
Well if u watched United last season and dont think he was papering over any cracks then i dont know what to tell u :p

Of course he was but he wasn't papering over the chasms that have suddenly appeared in our side. Do you think we would be doing this badly if a top manager was in charge. I watched most of our games last season and we were not as bad as this. We had a shakey start and RvP saved us on a few occasions but generally we were deserving of the wins. This season we have been beaten and deservedly so most of the time.

Soldato

I actually think this is spot on. The other challengers also self destructed at various points of the season. United have be erring towards average since selling ronaldo. Rvp had a great season. He played 37 times in the league and scored numerous goals from half chances. Honestly that was the difference. I watched United outplayed at old Trafford on several occasions last season yet still win. This season rvp has been injured and since returning he is not in the form of last season.He may never be again.

Last edited:
Soldato
SAF papered over the cracks for years without doing anything.

Scholes , Giggs, Vidic and Rio wre in their prime when Ronaldo was around , now they are either on their last legs or retired (and no disrepect to DDG at all but he isnt yet a VDSar either). Thats 1/2 the team from when Ronaldo was at OT

Back
Top Bottom