1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greta Thunberg

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rubberduck, 24 Sep 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ahleckz

Capodecina

So, you spend the same as I do each week but you grow veg and herbs. So, how is a vegan diet more expensive? And, as I’ve demonstrated, you don’t have to eat the same stuff. I appreciate some stuff is certainly more expensive, oat milk for example is a fair bit more than dairy milk. However in my experience I’m spending a lot less than when I ate meat and fish.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2021
  2. 200sols

Sgarrista

Hope your dog is not vegan as well..

3. plasmahal

Mobster

Why not start your own post about it and stay on topic for this thread.

4. Ahleckz

Capodecina

He is not. He does enjoy a bridle sprout, but have you ever met a Golden Retriever who won’t eat anything? :D

5. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Yes, advocating shifting to a plant based diet and demonstrating how it is cheap, flavourful and varied is definitely off topic in a thread about climate change. :rolleyes:

Anyway, stop picking and choosing who you try to silence. I was responding to a non plant based dieter who said it wasn’t varied and very expensive. Why not criticise him for being off topic?

6. jpaul

Capodecina

The sooner they have a carbon credit card - you spend you carbon allowance on long haul flights, or meat, petrol, you choose.

7. dLockers

Sgarrista

I would love to speak to the manager of veganism and ask why all of its members act like it is a multi-level marketing scheme.

That's an interesting way to move the problem from those in control to everyday citizens.

8. PlacidCasual

Sgarrista

Plainly it doesn't go far enough. Some people have wrong thoughts or behave the wrong way, is it right they have the same number of carbon credits?

9. 200sols

Sgarrista

Waay off topic now but my dogs eat raw diet and they love all vegetables, 10% of their diet is vegetables.

10. 200sols

Sgarrista

This whole Cop26 thing seems to be about Carbon offsetting which is proven not to work, polluting now and planting a few small trees that they'll probably rip out and concrete over with houses in 10 years time doesn't solve the problem. Its all lip service.

11. GIBURROWS

Mobster

A lot of it isn't very nice in my opinion, good to try but it is expensive if you try and make the things you are used to but veganise them.

12. Tom_ed1987

Wise Guy

"John Spartan, you are fined 1 credit for a violation of the positive ecological behaviour statue; section 32b.p4: Daydreaming about a juicy medium-rare 8oz Ribeye"

13. adam cool dude

Capodecina

14. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

I already said in my post our ancestors OCCASIONALLY ate meat - you missed that.

However as it was 99% majorly overwhelmingly plant based, we evolved to fit the available diet.

Your post is heavily trying to impose that omnivore must also include more meat or at least 50/50..............if you want to eat healthy though, and eating healthy literally means eating what our bodies evolved to run on - you would be eating 99% plants only - this is fact, in the modern age where I don't have to go find food in a forest, its really not much of a stretch to go that extra 1% - I can give up v v v occasional meat because I am self aware modern farming practices are cruel & induce suffering, I'm also aware the amount of humans on the planet is disproportional to what nature intended (so to speak).

Of course, we are a wildly successful species, but with that we also gained the tools to become self aware of the cost of our success, its a double edged knife, I choose not to contribute to a clear and present problem - I choose that, because the mathematics checks out - earth cannot sustain this level of meat eating - it really is that simple and black and white.

I met a middle ground between trying to reduce env harm, & not sacrificing my own entire life, i.e. I still have to drive to earn money, I'm aware my vehicle causes env damage, but I must exist unfortunately in the capitalist hierarchy our society functions on.....I don't like that's how the world works, but I still must exist within in, and survive - I can however give up stuff that has zero effect on my life (in fact my health has improved removing animal products, my weight went down, my cholesterol is amazing, I have more energy, I have a more stable mood in general etc etc)

15. plasmahal

Mobster

LOLZ, what a couple of ass hats.

16. Freakbro

Capodecina

Absolutely, nothing is going to change enough or in time. A good grasp on what is needed is they have said the reduction we saw last year of 1.9 billion tonness of CO2, due to the lockdowns and reduced consumption, would need to be virtually replicated every single year for the next 20 years to reach our net zero target and keep warming to just 1.5C by 2050.

And already emmissions have shot up to near pre-pandemic levels, with reports that oil & gas production will soar over the next decade.

17. adam cool dude

Capodecina

But the point is great. The dog doesn't understand what is right and wrong. He eats what he has evolved to eat through thousands of year. Humans seems to forget we have evolved over tens of thousands of years with meat in our diet. You cannot just switch off that tap over night without complications in health.

18. jpaul

Capodecina

good point - we've forgotten about mans tastiest friend - greta has several ?

[​IMG]

19. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

if only

20. [email protected]

Capodecina

The lack of meat is making you thought process wonky