Grim Dawn - ARPG

Soldato
It's quite hard to tell without seeing your skill tree. But it sounds as though you are a bit too spread out with your skills.

You can use grimcalc.com to give us a layout so we could point you further mate.

Associate
http://grimcalc.com/build/SOy9iV

Approximately that - I've missed a few points somewhere but that's the basic outline.

I haven't played your particular build but I would comment that, in my opinion, you have spent too many points in raising mastery levels ( of both classes ) rather than concentrating on fleshing out actual skills.

Don't try and spread points too thinly across multiple skills either. Try and stick to a theme eg. skills with fire damage and select other skills that will add synergy. For higher levels of the game you also want to think about some defensive skills.

Associate
You seem to have played all of them a bunch - can you tell me any good tips for a 2h ranged character?

I've got a Solider/Demolitionist (Commando). Fire Strike seems super weak - even with a few points in the explosive and lightning modifiers, and the side modifier (aether?), it still feels weaker than a single point in Cadence with a 1h melee weapon.

Am I doing something wrong build-wise or are ranged weapons designed to be a bit weaker to make up for the safety of range?

I'm only level ~21, have killed the warden and moved to the next area to the NW, so maybe I just need to play more.

Heres two ranged 2 handers I'm running.

First is a 2 hander ranged physical/lightning.
http://grimcalc.com/build/NK8OqS

This one is 2 hander physical/fire.
http://grimcalc.com/build/VHFqYt

Associate
I haven't played your particular build but I would comment that, in my opinion, you have spent too many points in raising mastery levels ( of both classes ) rather than concentrating on fleshing out actual skills.

Don't try and spread points too thinly across multiple skills either. Try and stick to a theme eg. skills with fire damage and select other skills that will add synergy. For higher levels of the game you also want to think about some defensive skills.

Thanks,

Yeah - I went Soldier first then switched over to Demo 'main', hence the higher mastery than needed in Soldier. I respecced a load of points out of soldier, but do probably need to pump more into core skills in demo. There are several 'one point' skills I've taken because I have +x to them on gear, but again, I could respec to focus more.

Defensively, I've taken the Turtle devotion cluster that procs a shield on low life and that's been good enough so far - was thinking of taking Blast Shield higher up.

If I was going to increase a skill more, would you think Fire Strike (main) or
Explosive Strike (modifier) would be best? Levels on Fire Strike don't seem to add much, but maybe I'm underestimating that flat fire amount - with the increase from Flame Touched it may add up faster.

Heres two ranged 2 handers I'm running.

First is a 2 hander ranged physical/lightning.
http://grimcalc.com/build/NK8OqS

This one is 2 hander physical/fire.
http://grimcalc.com/build/VHFqYt

Thanks for these. It looks like in the second you are using Cannister bomb just for the stun - is that right?

Associate
Character stats or item stats?

Character stats, the general advice seems to be save up 10 or so levels worth in case you need them for equipment, otherwise put them in Physique. Spirit would be your DPS stat but you get a bunch from mastery levels.

If you mean item stats, what class are you playing and what abilities are you using? Depending on those, it's likely to be %increased elemental damage, or %increased [damage type] (fire, burn, acid, whatever's relevant).

I think later you can get -% enemy resistances, which would be good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely loving this. 12 hours in and around level 30 playing soldier.

What a bargain for £20

It gets even better once you start becoming familiar with the options available to you in terms of spec. For example if you chose arcanist as a second mastery and put a few points into olexra's flash freeze it'll help you enormously against big packs, or go into the nightblade tree for pneumatic burst to give you a quick recharge heal

Soldato
Can anyone comment on the controller support for this game? Steam page says full controller support but cant seem to find any feedback on how well it plays? Would like to play over steam link on tv but if support sucks ill just play at the pc!

Associate
Not sure - I'll try and plug in my 360 pad at some point on Sunday and give it a go. That said, the forum posts I've found (from march this year) refer to it as 'rudimentary' support, so it may still be a bit patchy.

Soldato
Ah ok yea its a bit unclear, when they list it as fully supported i was expecting like a diablo 3 on console level of controller support, that actually worked amazingly! But i understand this genre is quite complex, lots of skills to map etc.

If you could have a quick go that would be great but tbh i will probably get it soon!

Back
Top Bottom