Grim Dawn - ARPG

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Not even got to the new expansion areas yet :)

Have a level 46 duel pistol illusionist/soldier adds are so much fun, just not enough of them.

Really should try multiplayer at some point.

Associate
I've missed the expansion launch and most of the info. Could anyone summarise what's added and whether it's worth it?

Expanded story, 2 new chapters, 2 new classes, new gear, new versions of old gear (higher level), dx11 support, 4 new factions, level cap is now 100 instead of 85 with 20 more skill points to spend, devotion cap now 55 instead of 50 with new devotions added (14 iirc), new story parts a lot harder than the old one on ultimate imo. Enjoyed it personally, feels like a proper expansion rather than dlc, certainly way better value than d3s necro "expansion".

Soldato
Dinged 41 on my Cabalist, i have 8 Skeletons, 1 Bile fiend, 1 Ghost Crab and the Storm Crow thing from Occultist so far as pets, im absolutely smashing content, however if i get too cocky i can die easily enough, my pets are crazy good but it does require constant attention to position etc. So far im loving the new Necromancer class, havent had a chance to try the new content yet as i wanted to play though on a new Class, hopefully i can hit 50 before Log so i can get a Leggy drop from the quest for doing him etc and them move into the new content.

Only been using self found gear too as i deleted all my pre 50 gear from my old stash before the expack, so i know this could be even nastier if geared better. Loving it so much.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
For about 5 seconds, spam the buffs and just stand in one place and watch everything die, if for some reason they mob decides to drop a hex on me, it is a oh heck kite kite kite, great fun.

Cadence and duel pistols is OP especially with the volcano up and running :)

Soldato
Looking through all the options for each class. I'm thinking about going either of these 3; Arcanist/Inquisitor, Arcanist/Occultist or Arcanist/Demolitionist.

Any thoughts on any of these? My idea for playstyle is to use magic as a primary for most damage but I also would love to wield guns for distance shooting also.

So far character build wise, I have the following stats:

Physique: 166
Cunning: 103
Spirit: 73

Should I start my character over to get more on cunning, so I can use guns or just continue from what I already have?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looking through all the options for each class. I'm thinking about going either of these 3; Arcanist/Inquisitor, Arcanist/Occultist or Arcanist/Demolitionist.

Any thoughts on any of these? My idea for playstyle is to use magic as a primary for most damage but I also would love to wield guns for distance shooting also.

So far character build wise, I have the following stats:

Physique: 166
Cunning: 103
Spirit: 73

Should I start my character over to get more on cunning, so I can use guns or just continue from what I already have?

generally speaking its a bit like Diablo 2 with attribute points, enough cunning + physique for weapon + armour, spirit for jewellery/ magic offhand then everything else into physique for health, unless you decide to go mega crit and have plenty of hp, then left over into cunning for the extra offensive ability.

as for mastery options, honestly, pick anything that you think looks fun, most work well together, although people tend to stick to either gun skills or spells as apposed to merging them. that's not to say don't try it though. inquisitor would be a start though for elemental (magic?) gun procs. :)

Soldato
Do you have the Crucible DLC @Spacedeck ?

It's basically an arena mode which you can visit anytime with any of your characters and fight waves of increasing mobs to a final boss/elite. If you manage to kill all the waves and boss without dying you can visit a reward treasure room which has tons of loot.

This mode also rewards you with other tokens you can swap for extra Devotion points.

It's easy to level up to say 20 and test builds as there are NPC's at the sides so you can reset points and store any loot you get.

Soldato
Just realised I can't do Arcanist/Inquisitor :(, inquisitor requires the DLC. So going to decide on going down the Arcanist/Demolitionist route.

Do you have the Crucible DLC @Spacedeck ?

I didn't but since I like this game, I just bought it now after you mentioned it :p. I was lucky it's still on sale on Humble. Where is this located? At Devil's Crossing?

Associate
Just realised I can't do Arcanist/Inquisitor :(, inquisitor requires the DLC. So going to decide on going down the Arcanist/Demolitionist route.

I didn't but since I like this game, I just bought it now after you mentioned it :p. I was lucky it's still on sale on Humble. Where is this located? At Devil's Crossing?

From main menu, below start etc.

Soldato
generally speaking its a bit like Diablo 2 with attribute points, enough cunning + physique for weapon + armour, spirit for jewellery/ magic offhand then everything else into physique for health, unless you decide to go mega crit and have plenty of hp, then left over into cunning for the extra offensive ability.

as for mastery options, honestly, pick anything that you think looks fun, most work well together, although people tend to stick to either gun skills or spells as apposed to merging them. that's not to say don't try it though. inquisitor would be a start though for elemental (magic?) gun procs. :)

Im currently running a 2hander close quarter melee build that scales damage fantastic with spirit and thats what i really like about grim dawn.. there are multiple ways of doing things and the loot is proper.

Soldato

Buy the expansion, if only for the Necro and Inquisitor classes, Inquisitor would fit *perfectly* into what you want to do as they are basically designed around dual wield pistols with a ton of elemental stuff added ontop. If you have bought the Crucible its definitely worth getting the Expansion, i have both and i rarely touch the Crucible as i find it very boring, i prefer to go out and hunt for loot rather than just do arena waves etc :)

As above has said, most people pickup enough Cunning / Spirit for Gear and pump the rest into Phys, what i tend to do is put 3 points into Phys, Bank a point, repeat, keep back 5 or so points at a time because if something awesome drops that will fit your build but you lack the phys / Cunning / Spirit etc you can usually have enough banked to get it, also dont be afraid to use components, the green emerald ones i think they are? have +8 to Phys Cun Spir on them, so can be used to artificially plug gaps to use gear, just be careful to not put them on bits your going to replace until you have the required base amount or you will end up like me removing something that was enabling you to use an item and realise you cant use that item now as you lack a few points of Phys Cunn Spir etc lol

Soldato
What does the orange glowy bit mean around the health bar? I know it decreases when attacked and eating food will put it back to full but what does it actually do?

Buy the expansion, if only for the Necro and Inquisitor classes, Inquisitor would fit *perfectly* into what you want to do as they are basically designed around dual wield pistols with a ton of elemental stuff added ontop. If you have bought the Crucible its definitely worth getting the Expansion, i have both and i rarely touch the Crucible as i find it very boring, i prefer to go out and hunt for loot rather than just do arena waves etc :)

As above has said, most people pickup enough Cunning / Spirit for Gear and pump the rest into Phys, what i tend to do is put 3 points into Phys, Bank a point, repeat, keep back 5 or so points at a time because if something awesome drops that will fit your build but you lack the phys / Cunning / Spirit etc you can usually have enough banked to get it, also dont be afraid to use components, the green emerald ones i think they are? have +8 to Phys Cun Spir on them, so can be used to artificially plug gaps to use gear, just be careful to not put them on bits your going to replace until you have the required base amount or you will end up like me removing something that was enabling you to use an item and realise you cant use that item now as you lack a few points of Phys Cunn Spir etc lol

Yeah, got my Arcanist/Inquisitor underway! Already reached my previous level in very little time at all and the damage I do is much more :D. Gunning it with magic is pretty awesome.

Do I need to increase Spirit to increase my energy?

Associate
OP
What does the orange glowy bit mean around the health bar? I know it decreases when attacked and eating food will put it back to full but what does it actually do?

It's called constitution and displays how much you can rapidly regen health once out of combat (aside from any regular hip regen), so once it's gone you can't rapidly regen health and can only use a health potion to increase your health again. :)

Soldato

The Crucible is located via the options in the main menu, you have to change it from main campaign to crucible then launch it like normal.

Soldato
Fired this up for first time in months last night to see what chars I had left over. Looks like they've reworked the starting town / castle as things have moved around since I last played.

Soldato
Does this game make boss fights too easy? I just defeat Warden Krieg in Hidden Laboratory. I died a couple of times trying to keep my distance, however the game simply allows you to carry on the fight where you left off. So the health of bosses don't replenish while you regain full health. Sort of defeats the object of it being a boss fight.

Associate
OP
Does this game make boss fights too easy? I just defeat Warden Krieg in Hidden Laboratory. I died a couple of times trying to keep my distance, however the game simply allows you to carry on the fight where you left off. So the health of bosses don't replenish while you regain full health. Sort of defeats the object of it being a boss fight.

they do gain some health back, like 10/15% ish i think. :)

Associate
If you find the game a tad too easy, keep an eye on DAIL mod.
It adds insane levels of difficulties, devotions, classes & so on.
It will be updated for the new expac under a new name eventually.
tbh I enjoy DAIL so much I can't play the game without it any more :)

Back
Top Bottom