Grim Dawn - ARPG

Soldato
If you find the game a tad too easy, keep an eye on DAIL mod.
It adds insane levels of difficulties, devotions, classes & so on.
It will be updated for the new expac under a new name eventually.
tbh I enjoy DAIL so much I can't play the game without it any more :)

I'll have a look. Will this require me to start a new game? Also is it possible to move health bars? I want to put enemy health bars just above my own at the bottom.

Soldato
they do gain some health back, like 10/15% ish i think. :)

Your only playing on Normal i guess? or did you start on Veterna? thats normal but with increased spawns, once you finish the first play through you go onto Elite difficulty, stuff gets a lot harder, complete that and you end up on Ultimate, that is no joke, some of the bosses are incredibly tough.

Theres a few hidden bosses you probably wont have encountered, also Nemesis bosses, these are also very hard. Dont worry about Warden Krieg, him and Cronley and a few other bosses are not really meant to be too hard, once you start seeing Nemsis and the hidden bosses then you will know the meaning of tough :)

Also lots of people are saying the expansion zones, even on the easiest difficulty are harder than the regular content, so be prepared for that.

A few tips for you

Try and keep your HP roughly 100*level, so if your lvl is 30 you want roughly 3000hp.

Try and get your DA to the point where you cant be critted, this becomes important later, as some bosses will one shot you if not :)

It is extremely important to try and cap your resists, on normal there are no penalties to resists, on Elite i think its -25 and on Ultimate its -100 iirc, obviously as you get higher and better gear it often has better resists, but it is important to keep your resists high especially in Elite and Ultimate.

Points spent in skills can be refunded, points spent in the mastery bar cannot.

Points in devotions can be refunded.

There are secrets everywhere, tons of them, keep a good stack of dynamite and revisit old towns like Devils crossing as often new quests based on level appear.

Associate
I'll have a look. Will this require me to start a new game? Also is it possible to move health bars? I want to put enemy health bars just above my own at the bottom.

Make a copy of your save file just in case. Under documents/Grim Dawn.
tbh it's better to start from fresh, because the amount of stuff added is insane.
The DAIL mod is a collection of many mods, the mod compiler has said they're waiting for the modders to release a new version to work with the expac. but it works for me (I have DRM free game without new expac).

As for moving health bars, not sure, as I play without them on display, but more than likely there's a way to move them.

Soldato
Some good advice here by SiDeards. Though I thought the following had changed regarding this part???
I thought they had introduced a potion to reset attributes now too??

Yeah thats from an early quest in the expansion i think? no idea if its repeatable or whatnot? i think its a once only thing?

Soldato
I completed the main story last night on my Cabalist and now im deep into the Expansion, currently lvl53 on a Pet build, have noticed my pets die a lot more now, the abundance of poison procs and spells etc from monsters absolutely wreaks total havoc with my pet skellies lol.

I have to say im enjoying the expansion content, its a lot tougher, ive died more times in 3 hrs of expansion play than the previous 52 lvls worth of playtime combined. Im already thinking "oh god this is going to be rough in Elite/Ulti" haha

Kinda excited to see the end of the content but also dont want it to end, just remembered also that i havent done Port Valbury yet on this Cabalist, need to do that to chalk it off the list, i try and complete ALL content once on each difficulty, and other than the expansion stuff, Port Valbury is the only thing i have not finished on my current character.

Associate
OP
I completed the main story last night on my Cabalist and now im deep into the Expansion, currently lvl53 on a Pet build, have noticed my pets die a lot more now, the abundance of poison procs and spells etc from monsters absolutely wreaks total havoc with my pet skellies lol.

I have to say im enjoying the expansion content, its a lot tougher, ive died more times in 3 hrs of expansion play than the previous 52 lvls worth of playtime combined. Im already thinking "oh god this is going to be rough in Elite/Ulti" haha

Kinda excited to see the end of the content but also dont want it to end, just remembered also that i havent done Port Valbury yet on this Cabalist, need to do that to chalk it off the list, i try and complete ALL content once on each difficulty, and other than the expansion stuff, Port Valbury is the only thing i have not finished on my current character.

yeh i found the skellies pretty squishy too so skipped the veteran play through of the expansion and carried on the main game to elite and ultimate hoping for some good drops and to get the devotion points. changed things around also going for full resists on pets as best as i can, currently level 86 in homestead on ultimate and they've held up much better.

this... http://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gaEq7Z is where i am currently

one of these... http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVWPylJZ http://www.grimtools.com/calc/gZwRAmzV is what im aiming for with maybe some changes to skills, most likely the first one.

:)

Soldato
Cabalist too here, lvl 46 on Veteran. Still have Port Valbury, Modragons Shrine and the Bastion to do then will move onto the new stuff. Oh and the one leads you to the Mad Queen. Can't remember how to start most of them though (with the exception of Rovers rep for the Shrine one).

Permabanned
Got the game on account of all the positive comments here. Was not dissapointed. Love how it just drops me in the game and lets me figure stuff out as I go along. Now stupid tutorial/hold-handing missions for the first hour.

Level 15 Battlemage. Played for about 3 hours so far. Must admit it is very easy even on Veteran (whatever that does) so I'm just piling everything into damage at the mo.

Should I save my Iron for something? Can't really justify buying anything as the upgrades are negligible.

Any other tips? I like to explore and do as much as I can.

Stopped playing D3. I'm really sick to death of everyone having a 'set build'. There's just no variety in it and everyone strives to have the same thing.

Associate
Got the game on account of all the positive comments here. Was not dissapointed. Love how it just drops me in the game and lets me figure stuff out as I go along. Now stupid tutorial/hold-handing missions for the first hour.

Level 15 Battlemage. Played for about 3 hours so far. Must admit it is very easy even on Veteran (whatever that does) so I'm just piling everything into damage at the mo.

Should I save my Iron for something? Can't really justify buying anything as the upgrades are negligible.

Stopped playing D3. I'm really sick to death of everyone having a 'set build'. There's just no variety in it and everyone strives to have the same thing.

irons used for component crafting mainly and open bridges and such.
really expensive to craft relics at end level.

veteran just a bit thougher, if you do well on veteran you do well on elite.

Associate

If you want more difficulty, give this mod a shot. It doesn't change any of the story as far as I recall. They're also going to compile a new pack for those with the expansion.

https://www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/11/?

It adds more classes/gear/spells & all of that stuff.
It adds a massive amount of difficulty options from basic (base game) to more mobs, more bosses etc.
I've played on more mobs & bosses & soon as you enter some dungeons you can be running for your life. That option needs a beast of a pc though.
I now stick to just bosses, where they can spawn anywhere in game & dungeon bosses, instead of fighting one set of boss/mobs, you can be fighting 2-4 sets of boss/mobs.

The amount of loot can get insane at times too.

https://imgur.com/EE9DxEq
https://imgur.com/uOHPtXX
https://imgur.com/urQagQC

Soldato
Has anyone completed the expansion yet? im not sure if i have actually finished it or not lol, i'll try to avoid spoilers but needless to say i have opened up all the entire map, cleared out the entirety of Malmouth, including the Fleshworks stuff, went back to the NPCs and turned in the quests, and im not getting anymore quests... so is that it? no end Cut Scene or anything?

Associate
Has anyone completed the expansion yet? im not sure if i have actually finished it or not lol, i'll try to avoid spoilers but needless to say i have opened up all the entire map, cleared out the entirety of Malmouth, including the Fleshworks stuff, went back to the NPCs and turned in the quests, and im not getting anymore quests... so is that it? no end Cut Scene or anything?

No cutscene

Soldato
I have re-rolled twice already :( Got bored of the Cabalist as you just let the pets do everything. Made a Death Knight and got him to 30 and he destroys!! But, I heard there is no gear that lends itself to DK so it gets really weak later on. So I shelved him until they release some goodies for him. Now working on a Tactician who is actually pretty similar to the DK.

Hopefully I stick at this one XD

Soldato
I have re-rolled twice already :( Got bored of the Cabalist as you just let the pets do everything. Made a Death Knight and got him to 30 and he destroys!! But, I heard there is no gear that lends itself to DK so it gets really weak later on. So I shelved him until they release some goodies for him. Now working on a Tactician who is actually pretty similar to the DK.

Hopefully I stick at this one XD

Currently doing Elite on my Cabalist, 73 atm and just about to clear through the fields towards homestead, im enjoying Cabalist but i am dreading doing the Expansion content on it, the pets are very fragile and a few bosses ive had to kite as the pets die fast lol, i was looking at DK also and your right, gearing for them is not good at the moment, pretty sure Crate will add some DK sets though.

Next build is going to be a dual wield type build focusing on Lifetealing :) should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom