Grr bloody wildlife

Last night I managed to clip a full on stag.

I was driving home, and a little more spirited than normal as I was late and had promised to be home on time. Not that it would have made a significant difference to what happened, just means I was probably 5mph faster than normal at that point.

So i was driving home down unlit country lanes, did a right turn into an uphill narrow section and gunned it a bit. No lights from opposite direction etc.
As i flicked on main beam about 5 meters in front of me to the side of the road I saw something. Initial thought was some idiot is walking down country lanes in camo level gear with no torch or anything. Then I realised it wasnt, it was the arse end of a stag, at about the same height as my head. So I braked hard and went as far to the right as i could, but as I passed it the idiotic thing tried to run towards me.

Luckily no real damage, couldn't tell last night. Its cleaned the mud off one side a far bit, and I have very slight cracks in the rear wheel arch trim, looks like it moved a little and the paint cracked.

I hope it was a normal deer and not a reindeer or santa maybe be a little slower this year ;)

I actually think I have some minor whiplash type thing as my neck is sore on the left and causing some head ache on that side. Think me steering fairly hard right and it hitting me from the left probably tweaked something.

Im just glad I was probably only doing 20mph when we came together and he left it late to try to run across, could have been significantly worse for my car ;) I suspect hes got a sore arse this morning. I dont think he probably got injured enough to cause death, although I know shock can be the issue.
I didnt go back, I would have but as i was running late I didn't. In the cold light of day I wish I had, but suspect nothing would have been there anyway. The hit felt like a bumper car glancing you at the fair, so I am genuinely suprised no real damage to car.

Associate
As was said to me [many years ago] when a fox decided to redesign my front wing one early winter morning... "Top Driving! Or did you have a copy of Horse & Hound in your pocket?".

More seriously, you are very lucky it wasn't much worse. Deer are big, dense and heavy and make big impacts with many vehicles.

As was said to me [many years ago] when a fox decided to redesign my front wing one early winter morning... "Top Driving! Or did you have a copy of Horse & Hound in your pocket?".

More seriously, you are very lucky it wasn't much worse. Deer are big, dense and heavy and make big impacts with many vehicles.

Yeah I know, one of my mates managed to virtually write off his Elise when taking it out for a final drive the night before trade in and managing to hit a deer head on.

We see very very few of them in reality, 99% of the time its the tiny ones.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I hit a dog once, ran out on me on my way home on christmas eve on a NSL road, I managed to slow from 60 but I don't know what my actual speed was when I made contact. I pulled over and went to go take it out the road and the ******* got up and ran off! Was barking a lot, but I can't imagine that it didn't take a significant injury....

I had no idea where it had came from or where it went, it was dark and no street lighting, ran off into some trees. Rang 101 when I got home and heard nothing since.

I felt god awful about it, thankfully I wasn't far from home. Didn't realise till I was home that it had destroyed my bumper, I don't know why I didn't check it before I drove off but I think I was just in shock. Animals and cars really don't mix.

I used to drive through an area called Herons Ghyll by Ashdown Forest, the amount of deer that get hit on that road is astonishing, you really do have to slow down around peak deer times!

Man of Honour
I used to drive through an area called Herons Ghyll by Ashdown Forest, the amount of deer that get hit on that road is astonishing, you really do have to slow down around peak deer times!

My dad hit a deer somewhere around there in early 2017 - didn't stand a chance apparently it jumped out while they were going around a corner and then jumped towards them instead of away. Did around 3 grands worth of damage. Something like 2 weeks after they'd had the car repaired someone went into the back of them while they were stationary at lights - ultimately did them a favour as their new car is much nicer.

Man of Honour
I hit a stag in a stag once, on my way to a stag party with that stag in the passenger seat. It was staggering but the stag staggered off in the end.

This happened, honest.

Soldato
I very nearly hit a huge stag once. Anchors full on, just managed to stop as it pirouetted and jumped back into the woods from whence it came. It was ****ing massive. Jumped right into the road right in front of me and we looked into each others eyes going "oh ****"...

Very scary.

Back
Top Bottom