gsync or high res monitor?

Associate
I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor but I don't know what would benefit me more,a gsync monitor or a high res monitor like 1440p? I'm not sure if I will get the full benefit of 1440p with my setup or not but I'm a bit tempted by the price I can pick one up for compared to a 1080p gsync.

if a gsync monitor would benefit me more I will happily save and get one,what do you think I should do? what would you do if you were me? my rig is in my sig

cheers

Soldato
OK well I'm using a 27" ROG Swift 2560 x1400 144Hz TN G-Sync Monitor , and in games I couldnt be without G-Sync or 1440 , if your budget allows ...go for it :), Mine was B Grade @ £389 I think...but its perfect

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if I went gsync I would prob go for 1080p as the monitor I want is around £450,ive seen a few 1440p monitors for under £300 which is the reason they have tempted me.

after doing a bit of reading i think i would like 140hz monitor if i can as the increase in hz alone is supposed to make a big difference,mmmmm what to do lol the gsync is 1080p and 144hz,the 2 1440p monitors ive seen are a lot cheaper but are only 75hz

Associate
That's a hard decision but based on your original question I think I'd go with 1440 ahead of G-Sync as if your frames are low you can just turn the detail down and it'll still look better than running at 1080.

As for high refresh rate screens, if you can run a game at that sort of refresh rate consistently then a G-Sync screen is a waste as you'll never make use of the feature.

If you can stretch to it the ROG Swift mentioned above is excellent and covers you whatever game you're playing.

Associate
OP
That's a hard decision but based on your original question I think I'd go with 1440 ahead of G-Sync as if your frames are low you can just turn the detail down and it'll still look better than running at 1080.

As for high refresh rate screens, if you can run a game at that sort of refresh rate consistently then a G-Sync screen is a waste as you'll never make use of the feature.

If you can stretch to it the ROG Swift mentioned above is excellent and covers you whatever game you're playing.

thanks for the input,i can run every game ive tried so far above 60fps maxed out except the new deus ex which I have to turn a couple of the settings down to hit 60fps,battlefield 1 I average around 70fps but in games like team fortress 2 I get 200fps and counter strike I also get very high frames,battlefield 4 I get average of high 80s fps.

do you really think I would be better off going for 1440p over gsync with my setup? would the i3/gtx 970 combo be good enough for 1440p?

thanks

Soldato
gsync.

You can dsr 1440, i do on my 970, and when it gets a bit too low on fps side i drop it to 1080 and its fine :)

I got an Acer Predator XB270HA 27" 1920x1080 TN G-Sync 144Hz, and its pretty damn good!

Associate
OP
gsync.

You can dsr 1440, i do on my 970, and when it gets a bit too low on fps side i drop it to 1080 and its fine :)

I got an Acer Predator XB270HA 27" 1920x1080 TN G-Sync 144Hz, and its pretty damn good!

that's the exact monitor I was thinking of getting lol think I may save and go with a gsync then :)

Associate
Personally I would go for the 1440p over GSync.

There is noticeable difference between both 60Hz to 144Hz and 1080p to 1440p

The questions you need to ask are;

Do I want my games to run like silk
or
Do I want my games to look crystal clear

These can depend on the use of your monitor.

If you're a highly competitive FPS gamer, then the Hz will benefit you more.
However
If you play lots of RTS / MMOs / General All round gamer / Watches lots of films or does any graphics related design, Then a higher resolution monitor will be what you're after.

If you're hitting the FPS cap of your monitors Hz limit then G-Sync wont be beneficial at all.

Associate

In my opinion going for 1440 instead of G-Sync (or without G-Sync) would be a mistake. A GTX970 will struggle with keeping frame rates at or above 60fps at that resolution. Yes, you can reduce the detail settings in the game, but that partially defeats the idea of having a higher res screen.

If you can run high frame rates (90 - 144fps), and you'll struggle to achieve that with a GTX970 in a lot of games, G-Sync still prevents tearing and problems with any frame rate dips.

I'd say that 1080 with G-Sync is probably not a good choice. At 1080, a GTX970 should be able to maintain 60fps in most games, most of the time. The ideal (but more expensive) choice would be 1440 with G-Sync, that would be a decent match for your GTX970, and if you upgrade your graphics card in the future you'll benefit from higher refresh rates (assuming the panel is 144hz).

Soldato
In my opinion while all the above are correct and 144hz 1080p gsync the only solution, personally I would have sold the 970, bought a RX480 and a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor with Freesync, with starting fps from 30.
Everything is in the budget stated, if the 970 sold in a good price.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like your mainly an FPS gamer looking at your games you mentioned, if you think your gonna continue playing such games i would stick to 1080p high refresh rate. High res gaming looks real pretty but can be a bit slow and laggy at times and will leave you wanting better hardware to get the FPS back.

Associate
OP
thanks for replies,i don't only play fps games but they are my favourite type of game,i also play many other types of games,i really play any game that tickles my fancy lol,mmmm I'm not sure what to do still,is it worth getting either with my setup? I'm not planning on upgrading my system until I really have to e.g when I have to lower everything to medium to get 60fps,at the moment I can run almost everything ive tried maxed out and get good frames of around and above 60fps.

maybe gsync would be more benefit than 1440p,im not sure,i just really want to upgrade my monitor but don't want to make the wrong choice :)

Associate
thanks for replies,i don't only play fps games but they are my favourite type of game,i also play many other types of games,i really play any game that tickles my fancy lol,mmmm I'm not sure what to do still,is it worth getting either with my setup? I'm not planning on upgrading my system until I really have to e.g when I have to lower everything to medium to get 60fps,at the moment I can run almost everything ive tried maxed out and get good frames of around and above 60fps.

maybe gsync would be more benefit than 1440p,im not sure,i just really want to upgrade my monitor but don't want to make the wrong choice :)

I think my previous advice is even more valid if you are playing a mixture of games.

I think your best bet would be to wait. Save up for a 1440 G-Sync (if you are sticking with Nvidia). At the moment, your GTX970 will struggle a little with a 1440 non G-Sync. Although a 1080 G-Sync would be good to own now, you might regret it if/when you upgrade your graphics card.

The other thing to consider is when you do upgrade your graphics card, you might even decide to go with AMD, so G-Sync wouldn't be any use to you.

If you want 1440 now, you really need G-Sync to "help" your current graphics card. If you buy a 1080 G-Sync now, you'll probably want to upgrade when you eventually buy a new card.

Associate
OP
I will always buy NVidia so gsync will be good for me,maybe I will try to wait a little longer to buy a 1440p gsync although I'm not to good at waiting lol only thing is my lovely wife has offered to buy me the acer predator 1080p 144hz gsync monitor for xmas,i wont be upgrading for quite a while I don't think as will also have to upgrade my cpu if I go with a better gpu,is 1080p gsync no good for high end cards then?

Associate
is 1080p gsync no good for high end cards then?

1080 is fine with a high end card, but you won't be taking advantage of what the card is capable of. If you were upgrading your card today, you'd probably be looking at a GTX1070, or maybe a GTX1080. Either of those cards are a bit overkill for a 1080 monitor (as will future medium to high end Nvidia cards). It's arguable that your GTX970 doesn't really need G-Sync with a 1080 monitor. Of course, it's still a nice feature to have, and it would come into play with more graphically demanding games. Looks like the Predator 1080 monitor you're considering is £260, so it's about half the price of a 27" 1440 G-Sync. It should have some resale value in a few years, so it's not such a bad idea.

How about doing a deal with your wife and have a cheaper present for xmas, then have a 27" 1440 monitor for your birthday or even next xmas ? :D

Associate
OP
1080 is fine with a high end card, but you won't be taking advantage of what the card is capable of. If you were upgrading your card today, you'd probably be looking at a GTX1070, or maybe a GTX1080. Either of those cards are a bit overkill for a 1080 monitor (as will future medium to high end Nvidia cards). It's arguable that your GTX970 doesn't really need G-Sync with a 1080 monitor. Of course, it's still a nice feature to have, and it would come into play with more graphically demanding games. Looks like the Predator 1080 monitor you're considering is £260, so it's about half the price of a 27" 1440 G-Sync. It should have some resale value in a few years, so it's not such a bad idea.

How about doing a deal with your wife and have a cheaper present for xmas, then have a 27" 1440 monitor for your birthday or even next xmas ? :D

lol i would but no way can i wait that long lol im terrible at waiting as have no patience at all :) the monitor im thinking of getting is over £400...its this one here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-110-ac.html

although will probably be getting it from the dredded catalouge so can pay weekly :D

Soldato
Both? 3440 x 1440, g-sync, IPS, 100hz. You won't be disappointed

I was in a similar position to you but just decided to go for it and spend the cash

Back
Top Bottom