• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GT300 and HDMI - any info?

Associate
basically, any rumours on whether this is done properly like ATis method (plug hdmi cable in - the end), or like Nvidias prev way of doing it (connecting a cable from gpu to mobo/sound card)?

Permabanned
I wouldn't be surprised if it was still botched to be honest.

nVidia love their half measures. :o There's no reason they couldn't have had GT200s with native HDMI.

Let's hope the GT300 will have native HDMI support with sound as well as Display Port.

Man of Honour
Theres nothing been confirmed but I think kylew is right - for audio over HDMI you will probably have to connect up a lead like with the 200 series...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
well, with more stuff going cuda/direct compute in the future, i'd like a bit of grunt but i get audio over hdmi and (see my prev threads) i had a bad experience with hooking up a nvidia card to my mobos spdif conn.

the ATi is nice and east and just works

Man of Honour
heh your not the only person... not sure if you hooked it up correctly or not but I know of a couple of cases where people have connected it up to the wrong header on the motherboard and fried the GPU.

Associate
Don't really matter tbh, you can get dvi to hdmi cables anyway if you're that fussed about using an adapter.

@wolvers: Yeah they all do sound over hdmi i think, they have that small audio cable you can attach to the gfx card

TBH i would much rather they replace the s-video with a hdmi and not obstruct the vent so much like on the 5870. I know it dont cause any heat issues (70c load, am i right?), but when I pay for a well ventilated case, i expect it to be - well ventilated.

Soldato
I'd guess that there will be a HDMI port on the back of the high end cards anyways, with Audio pass through. I can't really see a reason why would they wouldn't include this. HDMI is becoming more and more popular due to its widespread use on TVs and Monitors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom