GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
I'd honestly like to know how? The most amount of miles to a tank I achieved with literally driving like a granny was around 340 to a tank iirc. The tank is 50l in capacity so on a rough calculation that is circa 30mpg. On the dash the car was saying I was was around 32/33mpg.

To get 45mpg you'd have to get around 500 miles out of the 50l tank and I'm telling you for a fact that is impossible.

If these cars averaged 40/45 there is no way I would have changed to running a diesel which is now comfortably getting 50mpg on a run.

Shawrey

Are you draining the tank before a fill up? It's 50l, but the fuel light comes on quite early; when there's still about 25% remaining as far as I can work out. So if you're getting 340 miles to a "tank", it's likely you're not using as much as you think, unless you always roll onto the forecourt on fumes.

Associate
Are you draining the tank before a fill up? It's 50l, but the fuel light comes on quite early; when there's still about 25% remaining as far as I can work out. So if you're getting 340 miles to a "tank", it's likely you're not using as much as you think, unless you always roll onto the forecourt on fumes.

Always drove it to the needle below the R line ;).

The general consensus with the owners club was that the light comes on with about 2gallons remaining. I could comfortably get 50 miles after the light comes on before I felt the bum twitch knowing it needed a fresh fill.

Shawrey

Soldato
I got over 300 miles to a tank driving it around Milton Keynes and that was not taking it easy. Motorway runs typically low to mid 40's and I'd usually see just shy of 400 miles to a tank on my A road commute. Since remapping my consumption has increased but that's because it's more fun to do so and I'm usually driving clear roads. Petrol light comes on with 11l left in the tank, can easily drive 2x MPG reading and still have some left in the tank.

Only ever had a handful of issues in the wet, usually on roundabouts featuring a petrol station and the TC was very quick to kick in but can sometimes feel counter productive as you're then fighting the car too. My first wet track day was an eye opener to how it can go wrong with all the settings off.

Associate
OP
3 Months Later, I've just paid for my insurance, £1.9k without blackbox (Which is actually amazing for an 18 year old) - Off to sign the papers to the car on Wednesday and picking it up 1st August! :)

Got a red one.

Associate
OP
Cheers both - and it's gonna be a killer waiting!

I'm just surprised on the insurance! Was getting quotes at £3.5-3.7k thinking "This is never gonna happen" then bam, all of the sudden a 1.9k quote appeared. - Ended up upping my budget to £13,750 and bagged a Red 2013 Plate, 31k Miles.

Will post pictures on Wednesday!

Associate
Two things on this.
First the 86 is great, it was on my shortlist alongside the Fiesta ST and the new mk4 MX5 and is up there with those two for driver enjoyment..
Its great for getting the ass out, and is just quick enough to be fun without being stupid - its also nice a light which i wish more cars were these days. Didnt win in my ultimate choice but was on the final list at the end of the day.

Second.
Really... do yourself a big favour, wait a couple of years. No gt 86 is worth 2 bloody grand on insurance. In fact most cars are worth no where near that.
Yes yes some will come on saying i am a killjoy ect, justnaff off.. with an insurance overhead like that hanging...over you all the time, the least wee ding or No fault accident and well your premiums more than the national debt of the USA.
I have done the silly car at young age but not that young, you will look back in ten years at paying that kind of money with a very heavy heart. Get one in 12 to 18 months and see what the insurance is like then.

Associate
OP
Second.
Really... do yourself a big favour, wait a couple of years. No gt 86 is worth 2 bloody grand on insurance. In fact most cars are worth no where near that.
Yes yes some will come on saying i am a killjoy ect, justnaff off.. with an insurance overhead like that hanging...over you all the time, the least wee ding or No fault accident and well your premiums more than the national debt of the USA.
I have done the silly car at young age but not that young, you will look back in ten years at paying that kind of money with a very heavy heart. Get one in 12 to 18 months and see what the insurance is like then.

It's something I'm going to keep for years to come, trust me when I say this but £2000 is not a lot for insurance at my age. I've got a friend paying that for a 1.2 Ibiza 70hp 2005, and that's with a blackbox.
The majority of my friends are around the 2k mark with blackboxes and my quotes for the Ibiza I currently have was £1400 without a box, so an extra £600 isn't a lot to me, I have no bills or a house to pay for yet. :)

Associate
OP
Wicked car to get at 18 but you're bonkers putting that much money into a car before moving out!

Enjoy it though, I'd have loved one at that age :D

I considered a house deposit before putting the money into this and justified it because I can't afford to run a house yet however if I get this car I've still got enough time to save for a deposit before I can actually afford it :)

Associate
Doesnt matter how you cut it up, its still a bad idea. Soz to be that guy but it is.
The difference even a year and a half will make, just throwing money away.

The 86 will still be there when you come back.

Soldato
Glad to hear you’ve got one albeit with bonkers insurance. :D

Out of interest, how many miles has the car got on it? I only ask since if running a house seems expensive there’s a couple of services that the 86 needs which are eye watering money compared to the more usual maintenance costs.

Associate
Don't ****ing bin it and put my insurance up!

[ and get off my lawn! ]

:)

I'm on my second gt86. A 2014 and a 2017 Pro. Both have/had minor niggles. Some different, some the same. Gear stick rattle is probably the one that urks most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom