GT86/GR86/BRZ

OcUK Staff
Market is for sure showing some signs of slow down on cars, only some marques seem no change, so you guys are doing the right thing with selling your cars now because in a couple more months time it could become more difficult.

Also remember to try CarWOW, Cazoo, WBAC and motorway for quotes.

Soldato
Market is for sure showing some signs of slow down on cars, only some marques seem no change, so you guys are doing the right thing with selling your cars now because in a couple more months time it could become more difficult.

Also remember to try CarWOW, Cazoo, WBAC and motorway for quotes.
Yeah I've tried those - been getting updated quotes every so often, and put the car up with CarWow today, just to see what was offered.
Their offers are a little lower than what I'd want, and much lower than similar cars selling privately, which is to be expected. But I will keep them all in mind as a last resort - still got a few months before the new car is even expected to arrive.

Soldato
Yeah I've tried those - been getting updated quotes every so often, and put the car up with CarWow today, just to see what was offered.
Their offers are a little lower than what I'd want, and much lower than similar cars selling privately, which is to be expected. But I will keep them all in mind as a last resort - still got a few months before the new car is even expected to arrive.
Had forgotten to take down my PH ad so got a punter today (only 4 in 3 weeks) but I sent him a link to yours on the gt86 forum. Nothing to lose.

Whilst I'm not regretting selling my gt86, the lower mpg in my m240i is a bit worrying.

Soldato
Ignoring current pricing stupidity isn't circa 40% retained value over 9 years and 90k miles still a really good result?!
I think so. At the moment, I haven't had any interest privately though, although perhaps I've been optimistic in what I've asked for (although according to the PH valuer, it was pretty much fair price going by the market). We'll see. Still plenty of time to sell I think.

In other news, the press cars have started to arrive in the UK. Couple of UK reviews are out now, including a quick 60 second walk around from The Intercooler (albeit at the Spain launch).

Not sure if the new forum supports embedding Instagram as it does with Twitter, but links here.

Soldato
I think so. At the moment, I haven't had any interest privately though, although perhaps I've been optimistic in what I've asked for (although according to the PH valuer, it was pretty much fair price going by the market). We'll see. Still plenty of time to sell I think.

In other news, the press cars have started to arrive in the UK. Couple of UK reviews are out now, including a quick 60 second walk around from The Intercooler (albeit at the Spain launch).

Not sure if the new forum supports embedding Instagram as it does with Twitter, but links here.

Just seen you've now sold it. Do you mind saying how much you got for it?

I still miss mine every now and again. THe M240i is sheer power and acceleration in a straight line, but the GT86 beats it in composure, handling and fun.

Soldato
Just seen you've now sold it. Do you mind saying how much you got for it?

I still miss mine every now and again. THe M240i is sheer power and acceleration in a straight line, but the GT86 beats it in composure, handling and fun.
Yeah sure. I had always hoped to get about £10k. I'd advertised it for £11k but only on owners forums/Facebook etc. However I'd also been keeping an eye on WBAC etc. Best offer was Carwow at about £8100 and I had kind of resigned myself to just accepting that - it was more than enough than I needed for the next car and I was dreading having to bother too much with the hassle of private sale.

However last Saturday morning, I decided to stick it on Autotrader. Saturday evening, I got a message asking if I'd accept £9.5k assuming it was all in order. Said I would if serious...he turned up the next day, was happy with it after I took him for a drive and then he took it immediately. Happy with that to honest. I could perhaps have held on for a bit more, but due to its mileage and age, my car was probably bottom end of the market despite its good condition; and I sense prices are starting to drop. So I was glad to get nearly what I'd had in mind as a target originally for a hassle free sale.

Looking at the status, my new car is built and left the factory on Thursday, so its hopefully going to arrive around mid October.

Soldato
I'm looking at these (again), and the prices are really all over the place.

Reading that yours went for sub £10k is a surprise as most are seemingly advertised between £12-18k.. goes to show the advertised prices vs what they're selling at is very different.

Associate
If people would stop crashing them it would be really cool. Hurts the

Inn-sewer-ants-polly-sea.

Soldato
I'm looking at these (again), and the prices are really all over the place.

Reading that yours went for sub £10k is a surprise as most are seemingly advertised between £12-18k.. goes to show the advertised prices vs what they're selling at is very different.
I get the impression that people are being a bit optimistic when listing them, but then finding them difficult to shift. Also see a lot of examples being sold modified. I could maybe have held out for a bit more money. But as I said, mine was bottom end of the market...in good condition, but an early model year and high mileage. So I wasn't sure about being able to push for more.

Soldato
Toyota offered £10.5k for my 2013 with 50k miles on it last week. I decided over the summer that I had to make some changes so last week the car went. Hoping to have an update tonight with the new plans :)

Soldato
Toyota offered £10.5k for my 2013 with 50k miles on it last week. I decided over the summer that I had to make some changes so last week the car went. Hoping to have an update tonight with the new plans :)
Intriguing. And that's a pretty good offer, I'd say. Was that with your modifications, or did you return it to stock?

Soldato
It was their part-ex valuation based on the car being returned to stock if I bought a GR86, but still no idea from the dealers what's happening with the list now quite a few have been cancelled. I've gone down a different route as they wouldn't take the car now without a confirmed GR86 order.

Soldato
Not anymore you can't :D

I've been a bit silly:

cos23_01.jpg

cos23_02.jpg

cos23_03.jpg

cos23_04.jpg

List of mods now:

Complete Cosworth engine bay overhaul including supercharger,, oil plate, filters etc. Additional oil cooling
Complete Cosworth exhaust replacement (engine to tip)
Cosworth big brake kit (AP Racing)
Rays 18" staggered wheels

Not chasing top end BHP, the remap is conservative and more about linear power delivery and reliability so probably around 270hp, but the lack of torque I had between 2-4.5k has been fixed.

Might drop it 15mm next summer, it would cost 20k to upgrade to the GR86 so if I can get a decent upgrade out of my current one for 10k in total it will still give a few more years of enjoyment.

Soldato
My Lexus GS460 is meant to be going on Monday all going well (we'll see, hate selling)

Anyways, thinking of a BRZ or GT86 as its replacement for a while. Looking at £12k to £15k, there is a £14k BRZ not far from me at my local Subaru dealer who I use for the Legacy GT so thinking I might bite the bullet.

Associate
OP
Not anymore you can't :D

I've been a bit silly:

cos23_01.jpg

cos23_02.jpg

cos23_03.jpg

cos23_04.jpg

List of mods now:

Complete Cosworth engine bay overhaul including supercharger,, oil plate, filters etc. Additional oil cooling
Complete Cosworth exhaust replacement (engine to tip)
Cosworth big brake kit (AP Racing)
Rays 18" staggered wheels

Not chasing top end BHP, the remap is conservative and more about linear power delivery and reliability so probably around 270hp, but the lack of torque I had between 2-4.5k has been fixed.

Might drop it 15mm next summer, it would cost 20k to upgrade to the GR86 so if I can get a decent upgrade out of my current one for 10k in total it will still give a few more years of enjoyment.
Those wheels are lovely! I miss my GT86 still.

Soldato
All the development on my car is based on the original Cosworth development car: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/toyota/gt-86/20-d-4s-cosworth-2dr/first-drive

I had an opportunity to buy their car but didn't have the funds to do so at the time, so the plan was to replicate it as close as possible when I could. Already had the exhaust and the wheels from 2016 so was just the brakes and then a second hand supercharger when one came available.

All the parts I'd actually bought last year, the brakes for 18 months and the SC since last summer but I've spent the last year trying to decide if I wanted to wait for the GR86 and sell the kit, wait for the GR86 and fit the kit to that, upgrade to a 2019 car and fit the kit, or keep going with my own car.

Back
Top Bottom