GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
It's one of the best things you can do to the car. Totally transforms it, not least the noise and it gets around the whole emissions torque dip. It doesn't mean that you don't have to downshift in order to open the taps, but it does mean when sat at 70mph on the motorway you're not in a flat point and so can at least make half decent progress. It's also a whole lot smoother - it really is how the car should have been from factory, and I don't doubt that this was the intention if it weren't for stricter regs. It also gives you the promised 200bhp rather than the 180 or so that you actually get!

Soldato
Major recall announced for BRZ and GT86s. Valve springs on 2012/13 models are known to break

Recall letters going out shortly, Fix is thought to take 12 hours and require the engine out!

Soldato
Major recall announced for BRZ and GT86s. Valve springs on 2012/13 models are known to break

Recall letters going out shortly, Fix is thought to take 12 hours and require the engine out!

Well that's great timing! I haven't even got the logbook back yet.

Apologies for lack of photos, my phones screen is impossible to see outside. I did take a few photos at the park last weekend but when I got home I had taken 5 selfies instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently less than 100 boxer engines out of about 400,000 have been found with this issue. Heh, the Japanese :/

I think there is most risk in letting the dealer take it apart.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently less than 100 boxer engines out of about 400,000 have been found with this issue. Heh, the Japanese :/

I think there is most risk in letting the dealer take it apart.

It also means that the engine will be coming out twice in a short space of time for a lot of owners. As that service is also due.

Associate

Now to find a dealer that will drop some forged rods in while the engine is already out.... I can dream...

Associate
Maybe give the guys at RRG Toyota Macclesfield a call and see if they would do it at additional fee of course to install the rods lol.
If anyone would it would be RRG Macclesfield but I doubt even they would be willing to do that, it's too much risk. I'm also not sure I'd want someone with little experience engine building fitting and balancing internals. It's a Shame though, I'm planning on going turbo at the beginning of next year would have been good to be able to push it up into mid to late 300s.

Soldato
Well the good news is, it's only a small number of early 2012/2013 cars that are affected. The bad news is, mine's one of them.

But, every cloud has a silver lining. It was due for the 60k spark plug service next week. I've agreed with the dealer that I'll just have a normal full service and then when the recall procedure work is finalised and starts in December/Jan that I can have the spark plugs then to save on labour charges. :)

Soldato
I had the 60k service only 2 weeks ago and I think mine will be affected as well :/

Assuming they don't **** it up, it's a free top end rebuild at least lol

Soldato
My dealer has offered to do my 60k service for free after screwing up my last repair, not due until the summer. As I'm not going to be one of the first to have the work done (let them break other cars first) the car will go in to have the springs done, then a couple of months later exactly the same process done again to do the sparks. Doubt I'll be able to get the service offer changed now.

Associate
OP
Planning on making the 3 hour drive down to RRG Macclesfield to get my springs done, no way am I going to take it to a local dealer, I've seen two other 86's there in the last year and I go past every weekday so highly doubt they have much experience with them.

Gonna chuck some spark plugs in too whilst it's out ideally, only on 35k miles but at 6 years next year, may aswell do it now.

Associate
Picked mine up today and I love it already. Its such a comfortable drive. Bright orange is definitely my favourite colour too. I'm sure it's not for everyone but I'm really happy! :p

Soldato
Picked mine up today and I love it already. Its such a comfortable drive. Bright orange is definitely my favourite colour too. I'm sure it's not for everyone but I'm really happy! :p

Glad you are enjoying it. I've had mine 2 weeks tomorrow and I'm also enjoying it. Orange looks good but I think I'm slightly too old for such a lairy colour! :D

Soldato

Yea they are surprisingly comfortable cars. I think they got the balance just right.

The driving position is pretty much perfect as well (which is something I don't like about most hot hatches).

Back
Top Bottom