GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
My plan was to PCP the first one new then at the end of 3 years see if a facelift/update was worth getting, PCP that one then pay off at the end. At the time it was the Aero model, they didn't have one in blue, the deals were worse than on the one I had and the reliability on a new car was very poor so decided to stick with the car I knew. I still ask them if they can knock 5k off the price and I'd consider it but the best they seem to offer now is 2k off (got 4k off on my current one so that's what they need to better).

Soldato
They ask me if I want to sell mine pretty much every time I go in.

Apparently there is still a lot of demand for used ones. I noticed almost everything for sale within about 60 miles of me for under 16k is either base spec (no alcantara heated seats, etc) or automatic which is nuts.

Last edited:
Associate
They ask me if I want to sell mine pretty much every time I go in.

Apparently there is still a lot of demand for used ones. I noticed almost everything for sale within about 60 miles of me for under 16k is either base spec (no alcantara heated seats, etc) or automatic which is nuts.

What are the auto boxes like in these?

Soldato
Theres a few different options. I can't remember the names of them though. They did change it at the facelift and give more standard equipment I think.

There is only one engine config. The blue edition comes with Sachs suspension (some of the best stuff you can buy) and big Brembo brakes but is quite a bit more expensive.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What spec levels do these come in? I thought there was just a base spec?
What are the options to go for? Looking into these for a toy in the future.

As Nasher said above, anything before the facelift (2012-2016) you'll find they're all essentially the same model with the exception for the Primo (Poverty spec with no keyless entry or HID's etc) or the Aero (Same as standard just with a few aero kit bits and bobs like a wing)

Most will vary between having Cloth, Half Leather or Full Leather seating, Satnav, Parking Sensors and the rare few have reverse cameras.

Associate
OP
Did that facelift add much? Is it worth saving more and going for it or is the 2012 - 2016 model good enough? Just want to run a fun car for a bit before growing up!

Power is identical and handling is pretty much identical too unless you go for the Blue Edition with the Sachs/Brembo kit. Money-wise it'd be better bang for your buck to get a 2012-2016 on low mileage.

I got a 30k 2013 model for £14k from Toyota Approved Used, that price included the £250 tax, a full service and a years additional warranty.

Just keep in mind if you get anything less than a 2014 plate then you'll likely have to put it through the valve spring recall if it hasn't been done already.

Soldato
The 2017 has a slightly stiffer chassis, less rattles, slightly better quality interior materials, adjustments on the engine (but same power), improved stock suspension, LED lighting instead of xenons, digital dash display with oil stats, more up to date head unit. Doing a side by side drive between that and my 13 plate it did feel like a better car out of the box. If they had offered a good partex for mine and a significant saving on a new one I would have upgraded.

Also with each small refresh there were adjustments to the suspension in the older model, I think the spring rates are different in the slightly newer ones.

Soldato
Most of the updates to the handling are basically to make the car easier to control in a drift. If your not bothered about that then it's not really worth spending the extra on a facelift over a lower mileage pre-facelift.

Once you start fitting coilovers, big brakes, extra chassis bracing etc. (as many owners do) then the differences become a bit irrelevant. The car is so easy to mod on your driveway that it gets addictive. Loads of room in the engine bay and everything has been made easy to get to :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Question for those that have changed the intake. Which one did you get?

I'm considering getting a Takeda Momentum.

Just a panel filter is generally enough for this car as the stock intake is really well designed.

I know a lot of people use the Blitz kit with Suction Filter however, either that or the Injen Intake

Soldato
Cosworth panel filter and Cosworth branded Perrin Silicone Induction Hose. Tidied up the engine bay a bit and felt better on the bum dyno, doubt it really did anything though.

cos1_06_3.jpg

Soldato
So you no longer have the noise generator now, right?

There are some silicone/metal hose kits which keep sound generator and/or extra chamber but this one is a wider straight through pipe. Was never a fan of the artificial noise it generated (preferred actual engine noise), capped off from cabin using cig lighter cover from glovebox, you can do this before changing the intake to see what difference it makes in the cabin to the noise.

Soldato
Yeah i've seen a youtube video about the cig lighter cover. I will try it covered when I get time, and see what I prefer.

After the engine recall is done, I would like to add some more bhp. But I'm somewhat restrained by the fact its an auto. I think 270bhp is the max I can go to. The Avo stage 1 turbo takes it to 255bhp without removing cats or changing the exhaust. This leaves it well inside the limits.

Soldato
Safe power through the auto is around 260bhp, but the killer is the power delivery and the heat rather than the peak power. As long as you're not doing constant launches or long track sessions the autobox should be capable of handling most off the shelf FI packages. A good linear tune will help.

All turbo kits remove the manifold (header) so you will lose the manifold cat, the 2nd cat is more than capable of handling MOT emissions but the lifespan is unknown, some cats have failed with supercharger setups on the stock manifold.

I'm waiting for the engine recall to consider going supercharged (rest of the car is Cosworth), I don't really need the extra power but with the extra noise of the exhaust I think it needs the power to match.

Back
Top Bottom