GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
Found one of them on my rear (down to the plastic), looks like bike pedal or trolley. Know how you're feeling :(

Swapped cars back, going to miss the new car smell and the refinement but that fake intake noise even with it capped off is annoying.

It's possible that's what's happened to mine. I noticed it in a retail park. The evening before it was in the hospital car park, but i'm always careful to park it away from any other cars there.

Soldato
I have a Halfords near me, what polish should I get?

It looks so much worse in real life, i'm not happy at all. Had the recall go well last week, and then the Ferodo brake pads put on this morning. Should be really pleased with the car, but right now I don't wanna look at it.

Associate
I doubt a Toyota dealer would be equipped to do much with it, they'll probably want to paint it.

You can do it yourself, just bear in mind that the initial abrasive compound that you'd need to use to even touch the deeper scratches *can* go all the way through the paint if you're not careful.

If you want someone else to do it, your best bet is an independent auto valet / detailer.

It would be worth calling some SMART paint repair services too if the panel itself is not bent / damaged. They may be able to do a proper job on it without having to paint the whole panel.

Soldato
It's black, so hopefully any decent bodyshop should be able to take care of it. Thank your lucky stars it's not pearl white.
I know what you mean though - when my car was vandalised, I didn't even want to drive it. Just so disheartening :(

I would personlly carefully wash it off, then use a mild polish to just get the really really surface damage cleaned up, will be much easier to see the real damage once thats done.

The guys who post in the car cleaning thread here really know their stuff so well worth dropping a post in there.

Its really going to boil down to how perfect the rest of your car is, how good a job do you want. I had a similar thing repaired on my old mini, (works fire engine clipped my car on site) and it cost £140 to have a chips away job done on it.
Must admit i couldn't tell it was done even though I know where to look. Actually mine had a little plastic damage as well as paint damage but i would guess slightly smaller area of damage.

Its dfinately in smart repair terriatory rather than full blown pait repair imho

Soldato
It's not something I would feel confident doing myself, I mean I could polish it but it's probably way beyond that, so best left for a professional.

I'll find a local garage to do it. There's quite a lot to choose from in Southend. It's just the hassle of losing the car for a few days.

I want to keep the car for a long time so I want it looking as good as possible.

Conscript.. having a car deliberately scratched is the worst. I had a Saab 900 that was scratched, and had its windows put through and tyres slashed. Humanity sucks!!

It's not something I would feel confident doing myself, I mean I could polish it but it's probably way beyond that, so best left for a professional.

I'll find a local garage to do it. There's quite a lot to choose from in Southend. It's just the hassle of losing the car for a few days.

I want to keep the car for a long time so I want it looking as good as possible.

Conscript.. having a car deliberately scratched is the worst. I had a Saab 900 that was scratched, and had its windows put through and tyres slashed. Humanity sucks!!

Nothing is hard, its about knowledge mainly.
I would definately look up smart repairs though first, when I used chips away I filled in contact online, I then got a call, he asked for photos and we dicussed a little on the phone.
He came and collected and dropped back the same day, he said he preferred to be able to do it in his workshop if I was happy to allow him to take the car away.

Soldato
I just got some T-cut 3 in 1 from Halfords and had a go at it. It's made a big difference, and now you can only see the scratches up close. So I'm now a lot less upset about it.

Soldato
When someone went in to the back of my car at a set of traffic lights it looked pretty bad (dark blue) but after a few washes only a few chips are left. Can't see it at all when dirty and there's far worse stonechipping on the front.

Soldato
When someone went in to the back of my car at a set of traffic lights it looked pretty bad (dark blue) but after a few washes only a few chips are left. Can't see it at all when dirty and there's far worse stonechipping on the front.

Yeah having just been out for a spirited drive :cool: it's not noticeable at all.

The car goes really well after the recall, this was the first decent drive. It seems louder though for some reason. Any ideas why this would be? I noticed it last Thursday driving home, but thought it just seemed louder after driving the hybrid.

Soldato
You will get small chips and dents all over after a few years because the panels are so thin/light and so is the paint. The bonnet being thin aluminium is like cheese, if a conker or something falls on it...dent :p

Under the front lip is another common spot for scrapes. Luckily you can't see it unless you look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom