GT86/GR86/BRZ

Soldato
You are right there isnt much Zeed. 370z, Evo X and maybe WRX STI/TypeR when they come down in price. Things are looking up though now that the Koreans are making interesting cars, and there is the new Supra to look forward to potentially as well.

Everyone in the UK appears to want hatches and SUVs now and it's got pretty boring really.

I was hoping the gt86 would kick off a new era of "every day, affordable sports cars" but it hasn't happened yet. If you want something similar you still need to be spending way more money. How many 4 seater, practical, RWD coupes are on the market? :(

Soldato
Funny how the car manufacturers are making cars people want. Rather than cars for people who want to buy second hand

New prices were too high for most. A specced up gt86 can reach around 30k and good deals are hard to come by as cars like this are expensive to make. Used prices hold well though, I even had a Toyota dealer offer to buy mine (buy it outright, not trade in etc) due to demand.

They sold a lot better in the US and Australia though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mostly because the UK cars were really highly specced which pushed up the price. I think they aimed it at a different market over here, whereas in the States etc it was aimed squarely at a young driver.

Caporegime
Think you missed my point

Anyway not sure about ‘cars like this are expensive to make’. What exactly is expensive on it

Soldato
Think you missed my point

Anyway not sure about ‘cars like this are expensive to make’. What exactly is expensive on it

There's one model, one engine and it doesn't share many parts with other cars. Most modern cars are based on a handful of configurations and they just slap in whatever engine etc is speced, that makes it very cheap.

Plus add things like RWD, an LSD, all the other stuff like extra chassis bracing etc and costs mount up. Flat engines aren't cheap to make either.

Last edited:
Associate
Bmw make a few...

Price. Also to get the same spec where it matters it will be PRICE. For example most models do not come with an LSD unless you go M and then you are into the £40k+ band. Usually without going M you will get a autobann-barge, a soft, luxurious, cruising saloon. Not the same class of car at all.

Don't look at servicing, tyre, insurance costs either!

This addiction to MOAR POWAR! Is induced by marketing and the big car manufacturers like BMW and their dick waving with competitors. If instead you look to motorsport heritage, even your local track today, you will find that nearly all formulas have limited power and limited grip because this makes them cheaper, fun, competitive, challenging, accessible and engaging.... and the accidents smaller.

If you want to drop it from 6th to 3rd going from 70 to 110 and warp past a BMW or Audi rep mobile on the motorway because you feel your manliness was challenged by them, then don't get an 86.

If you want to feel like you are driving 100mph on a B road with the tyres chirping and squeaking, the car communicating and egging you on, challenging you, informing you of every slip and catch of the tyres, allowing you to balance between under-steer and over-steer like molding putty in your hands.... and look at the speedo and find yourself doing 42mph, then consider the 86.

Soldato
Price. Also to get the same spec where it matters it will be PRICE. For example most models do not come with an LSD unless you go M and then you are into the £40k+ band. Usually without going M you will get a autobann-barge, a soft, luxurious, cruising saloon. Not the same class of car at all.

Even then the BMW coupes feel more like saloon cars than traditional coupes. It's a completely different experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
I keep looking to buy a car (audi tt, audi A3, BMW 1 series coupe) then changing my mind because it isn't a Gt86. I know they do them in auto too but it's obviously better as a manual. But I haven't driven a manual car for 6 years now and swore I'd never go back. Then I'm about to start kidney dialysis and have had an operation on my left wrist, to prepare where the dialysis machine connects. But they haven't said don't drive a manual so maybe it will be ok. I'm wondering whether to just buy a GT86 and see what happens.
Is selecting gears with the manual gearbox smooth?

Soldato
Test one properly first as they can be a bit stiff when cold. The very short gear ratios also mean it's easy to mess it up and get all jerky, especially in 1st and 2nd.

It will feel very different to the cars you are used to as everything has pretty minimal assistance/cushioning/whatever and you need to work it more. The steering and pedals will probably feel very weighty at first, but may not actually be an issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Test one properly first as they can be a bit stiff when cold.

It will feel very different to the cars you are used to as everything has pretty minimal assistance/cushioning/whatever and you need to work it more.

Ah so the gearbox can be stiff, not what I wanted to hear. I'd be OK with the driving part, it was just whether changing gear would exasperate the pain, and I'm thinking now it probably would. Maybe an automatic with a few mods to compensate for the lower speed would be the way to go then.
Thanks for your help.

Soldato
The automatics aren't bad. It's a CVT (same one used in Lexuses, they are very smooth gearboxes) rather than dual-clutch. Tuning doesn't seem to be a problem on them though :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom