GTA: VC crashes my PC - shurely shome mishtake?

Associate
:confused:

Hello

After sorting out my pc after my lightning strike, the new psu and NIC seem to have fixed everything, luckily. However, I reloaded GTA: VC the other day, maxxed out all the settings and got going. However, it's really buggy, pauses all the time and eventually (when I had 5 stars and swat and helicopters chasing me :D ) crashes the whole PC.

So, I'd have thought with my spec (in sig) and considering how old the game is, running at max everything should be okay. Any suggestions for what might be wrong or what I can change to get it running smoothly?

I'm looking to upgrade my gfx when crysis comes out (who isn't?) but wanted to wait as long as possible for prices to drop.... any other suggestions welcome.

Associate
OP
melbourne720 said:
Anything else making it crash? If it's just VC, then it might be a game issue. Try 3d mark looping, and a few other games. What is the Voltage on your memory/CPU/FSB? Does it crash if you set it back to stock?

It's working fine for everything else, although I haven't tried any other games in it since I changed the psu.

I'm at work now so can't check the voltages etc till later, but it was working perfectly well before the lightning strike with the Tagan psu and at all the same voltages / overclock, and has been for months.

I did run sisoft sandra last night and it came up with warnings about the vcore etc, but I thought this was just because I was clocking the e4300 beyond what it was set to at stock....

Do you think the processor or mobo might have been affected too? Or maybe the gfx? :(

Thanks

Associate
OP
The $6m Dan said:
You say you've got a new PSU, so I'd suggest double checking the connections to the GFX card or even try a different power cable.

I'm pretty sure this is okay, but will try the other power lead when I get home.

Thanks

Associate
OP
fobose said:
Have you updated your graphics card drivers recently? VC is an old game now and probably doesn't run to well using newer drivers.

Funnily enough I haven't upgraded them for ages (due to a problem with the omega drivers..) so thought about doing that last night, but I didn't see how this could help with VC as it is so old.

I've just remembered that I did try BF2 when I first fitted the Corsair psu (which is a lovely bit of kit btw :cool: ) and it had similar problems - stuttering followed by a crash.

Maybe I should just try new gfx drivers before trying anything else, although I never had these problems before the new psu / lightning strike......

The plot thickens....

Associate
OP
fobose said:
Maybe your graphics card has b0rked in the lightning strike? Have you a spare one you can try?

No unfortunately I sold my x800gto2 to my work ;) so I could afford a new one. Maybe running 3dmark on it (as melbourne 720 suggested) will tell me if there's a problem. What's the best version to use, I haven't run it in ages as it just makes me want to buy new stuff :rolleyes:

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom