GTannys fitness log - 32 years of being fat!

Soldato
So after starting a thread in the normal sports arena I decided I will start a Log, I don't plan to do daily updates but will try keep coming back atleast once a week.

original thread:
So after many years of wanting to do something but, put simply, being too lazy and shy to do anything about it i went to my first weekly MMA training session a couple of weeks ago and i absolutely loved it, i have never been in a fight and have a very laid back personality so don't plan too but its so much fun if you ignore the next day or 2 of aches.

Now this has triggered something and after years of being overweight and very unfit i want to make the most of this and not let it slip, my daughters both go to children's classes with the same sensei so i have a connection that will make avoiding the training hall very difficult.

to go with this i have also picked up a set of dumbbells and a foldable bench (i would love a full weight setup but don't have the room) and my wife has picked up a treadmill (that i plan to use at times) as she wants to start running (I'm sure she will update with her own plans - user ETanny) we also have DDP yoga and i intend on getting more use out of it on the quieter days.

i know the next part i really need to work on is diet which is where i know i will and have always struggles as food is my easy out, tired, stressed or bored i just resort to food (which working shifts and having 3 consecutive years of redundancy threats hasn't helped as ive spent a lot of time tired and/or stressed)

unless people really object i intend to use this as an update tool of sorts to keep me motivated, i wont be doing daily updates by any means but ill try posting regular posts about how im getting on.

currently i stand and 5'8" and fluctuate between 18st7lb - 19st but have been as big as 22st 5 years ago. i plan to track my food using my fitness pal and have a fitbit to track my movement.

so starting yesterday (the day after my 32nd birthday so I had pizza and cake the night before) I weighed in at 19st dead and I am 5'8" although I'm sure I used to be 5'9".

There is no strict training plan as I get know I will get bored if I try stick to 1 thing, I am doing MMA training on Monday nights when I am not on a late shift and the other days I will be doing a mixture of weights (due to storage I only currently have a set of dumbbells) C25K on the treadmill and DDP yoga on the lower paced days as I enjoy it.

A big change for me is my diet, I am tracking my food and drink through my fitness pal and for now at least my aim is to keep within my daily calorie intake, eat healthier foods and drink more water/cordial, I may change to more detail once I get down to a more reasonable weight but for now a better diet is what's needed.

I picked up a pair of running shoes from the local running shop today who was very helpful and tried day one of C25K, I managed about 70% but my left calf didn't let me do anymore (I am working late so I didn't push through the pain as I still have a shift to do and struggling to walk would make it very difficult)

I'm sure in time I will end up with a more structured regime and if shifts allow maybe go to MMA training 2 times a week but for now I just feel glad I have finally started doing something about it.

Soldato
I'm new to this area of the forum and have started my own log to lose weight as I'm in a very similar position to you.
Best of luck with it, keep popping back and updating us. It is certainly a good way to find motivation and even keep your own record of what to do.

Soldato
OP
Took a while for my first update but I am still at it, been to 3 MMA classes now and still loving it although the warmup is still killing me. doing C25K on the treadmill but as I have never run so far I have done 5 sessions of week 1 as the though of week 2 is too much at the moment, I keep getting cramp like pain in my left calf after about 20 minutes but im not 100% sure if its me over tightening my running shoe on my left foot as I had it looser today and it helped a lot.

1st weigh in was last Tuesday as I was working Wednesday and I was 7lb down from 6 days earlier, I take this a lot as it was my birthday and we had takeaway the night before so I don't want to count it as a standard yet as I am well aware 1-2lb a week is a much more achievable target although I did that before with just diet and now I am adding exercise it should help.

I am trying to drink more water but I forget unless im working out, I drink a cup each time I have a coffee at work too to try increase my fluids.

So far im enjoying it, I feel happier already partly as I have more energy and partly as I know im finally doing something about my weight, I have even stopped hiding it as in the past if people have asked if im eating healthy I have said no and laughed it off where I am now just accepting the fact I am trying to do something good for myself.

I still don't have any targets set other then feeling much better, id like to be a healthy weight but a target nearly 6 stone away is too much at the moment, just keeping up what I am doing is my current target and maybe 2 stone down then I will look at healthy weight targets.

Soldato
So far im enjoying it, I feel happier already partly as I have more energy and partly as I know im finally doing something about my weight, I have even stopped hiding it as in the past if people have asked if im eating healthy I have said no and laughed it off where I am now just accepting the fact I am trying to do something good for myself.

This is great stuff - well done!

Back
Top Bottom