• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gtx 1060 Black screen fans 100%

Associate
  • Able to operate computer normally until first millisecond of game or bench starting.
Black screen Gpu fans 100%. Can still hear HDDs working.
Temp 45 just before.

Tried - different monitor, changing ram, DDU for drivers reinstall. Reseated card. Nothing. Problem absent using onboard graphics.

Card problem.

Curiosity drove me to open it and I notice unusual oil residue under certain parts of heatsink (thefkisthat?) so wiped away and removed/reapplied thermal compound on gpu.

My thoughts now - I'm thinking it could be power draw issue. Whenever the card is asked to do a more power demanding task its either taking too much and shutting down to prevent damage and fans speed up to counter any heat rise which there doesn't seem to be any. Or Gpu not receiving any power and it's being sent wrongly to the fans.

not overclocked + bios defaults bought off ebay over a months ago no problems till now

600w psu

Anything I can try? Thanks

Associate
OP
The board looked fine and as it should. The oil was very fine and possibly lubricant from the fans. It looked as if someone had been in there before. There was a little oil inbetween the two memory chips and in tiny amounts elsewhere on the board. No scorch marks or corrosion.

Associate
OP
It's horizontal. But it looked as if it was mounted vertically before I bought it because the old thermal compound had dripped down from the gpu and dried. After watching the video its likely the residue is from the thermal pads as inbetween the memory chips is where it was most concentrated.

To update... The system fixed itself and I was able to play. I later decided I'd add a better cpu fan and overclock the ram.
I failed overclocking and had to reset bios and cmos.
It was from then I've not been able to boot from the gpu at all. No video output, no bios screen showing and i just hear the hard drives booting Windows. Onboard graphics work fine.

I tested the card on another motherboard and was able to boot fine.

So my problem now is that my GPU is not detected on motherboard.
On onboard graphics, bios reads pcie slots as not populated <ffff:ffff>. Speccy reads that they are active but also not populated.
I've tried working replacement card and tried secondary pcie x8 and I get the same result.

Any ideas what I might have done?

CPU seated fine as bootable with onboard gfx. I only attempted to oc ram by oc assist.

Thanks

Additionally. I plugged in a case fan using some adapters going into the psu. The moment I turned it on I heard a pop from the psu and could smell a little electrical burning. But psu seems to be working fine.

Is there any way to properly diagnose pcie slots?

Last edited:
Associate
Additionally. I plugged in a case fan using some adapters going into the psu. The moment I turned it on I heard a pop from the psu and could smell a little electrical burning. But psu seems to be working fine.

That's not a good sign at all, and not one I would ignore so casually. I would replace that PSU now, before it really does some damage to your system, assuming it hasn't already!

Back
Top Bottom