GTX 1080 TI and EK Titan X Pascal Waterblock - Anyone Fitted yet?

Soldato
Use common sense, the instructions are for the titan not GTX 1080ti. Hence why you do not follow the instructions from EK :)

The last two blocks I have used for my gpus have been for titans namely the gxt 780 and 980ti and both times ek said these were the block to use with the cards I had and 100% compatible. At no time after did ek revise stating to add more pads.

Adding pads will effect how the block sits and therefore can effect how it makes contact to the card. This could there fore lift the block off in a key area such as a memory chip which could further down the line cause damage to the gpu as a chip might not be getting correct contact and over heat. Or it could place more stress on a chip due to the added pad.

If pads were needed ek would state to put these pads on and update their website. As silent scone says if in doubt contact ek first. They usually answer any questions within 24 hours.

Last edited:
Associate
The last two blocks I have used for my gous have been for titans namely the gxt 780 and 980ti and both times ek said these were the block to use with the cards I had and 100% compatible. At no time after did ek revise stating to add more pads.

Adding pads will effect how the block sits and therefore can effect how it makes contact to the card. This could there fore lift the block off in a key area such as a memory chip which could further down the line cause damage to the gpu as a chip might not be getting correct contact and over heat. Or it could place more stress on a chip due to the added pad.

If pads were needed ek would state to put these pads on and update their website. As silent scone says if in doubt contact ek first. They usually answer any questions within 24 hours.

I'll take your advice. I have just fitted my cooler and back plate, the pcb looks 99% straight but there were a lot of pads on there that an don't have in the instructions. A whole row of chips had pads and now don't and multiple other chips all over the board had white pads that are not mentioned in the installation instructions. For a first time used it should maybe be mentioned clearly to remove these because it leaves me apprehensive about full compatibility with mine seeing as it is a titan cooler on a ti.

I'll have to go back and remove extra pads when home

Soldato
The cards are pretty much identical. And as stated it would have said "compatible" and any required changes of extra pads etc users need to follow in further notes.

If they say it's fully compatible with the TXP block then it's fully compatible, including the instructions. EK wouldn't tell you to put pads where they are not required and vice versa.

EK answer emails usually within a few hours if you are worried.

Associate
The cards are pretty much identical. And as stated it would have said "compatible" and any required changes of extra pads etc users need to follow in further notes.

If they say it's fully compatible with the TXP block then it's fully compatible, including the instructions. EK wouldn't tell you to put pads where they are not required and vice versa.

EK answer emails usually within a few hours if you are worried.

You will be right I imagine...

Soldato
I'll take your advice. I have just fitted my cooler and back plate, the pcb looks 99% straight but there were a lot of pads on there that an don't have in the instructions. A whole row of chips had pads and now don't and multiple other chips all over the board had white pads that are not mentioned in the installation instructions. For a first time used it should maybe be mentioned clearly to remove these because it leaves me apprehensive about full compatibility with mine seeing as it is a titan cooler on a ti.

I'll have to go back and remove extra pads when home

Well congrats on the new card and if you are still worried fire over an email to EK, I have found their customer support very good in the past.

I have an EK Titan block and backplate sat here waiting for a 1080ti to arrive, hope I am not waiting too long. :)

Soldato
Use common sense, the instructions are for the titan not GTX 1080ti. Hence why you do not follow the instructions from EK :)

+1, it really is simple common sense to look what the card came with, heatpad/cooling wise, and copy that. TitanXP's are slightly different after all.

Soldato
+1, it really is simple common sense to look what the card came with, heatpad/cooling wise, and copy that. TitanXP's are slightly different after all.

Common sense is to follow the instructions and if in doubt ask the block manufacturer. Not to add pads as you see fit to a block with multiple contact points which has been machined to the nearest mm.

Looking at your history you have little to zero experience with custom watercooling, this post of yours was less than a year ago:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/need-help-choosing-components-for-390x-loop.18726597/

As the thread title - I'm considering watercooling my MSI 390X, as I can no longer stand the noise it makes at full load!

So far I've only chosen the block and backplate:

Block: EK-FC R9-390X TF5 - Nickel
Backplate: EK-FC R9-390X TF5 Backplate - Black

I'd very much appreciate help regarding the rest of the components for the loop. I haven't done custom watercooling before, so I'm unsure what to go for.

One requirement is for the quietest possible pump - I want this to be as silent as possible. I'm assuming a variable speed pump would be best.

As for radiator space, I can fit 280mm rads in my case.

I'd prefer clear tubing, not fussed about the fittings/connectors, also unsure whether to go for quick disconnect fittings or not.

Note that I don't intend to overclock my card to the maximum - I'll most likely leave it at it's factory overclock settings, as I'm currently happy with it's performance, just can't stand the noise it makes!

Still debating whether to watercool my CPU at the same time - I currently have a Noctua HSF fitted which cools my 6700k extremely well and is very quiet, though it will look rather odd with only the GPU being watercooled, hmm!

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Would be good to get clarification... I'm fitting mine tonight or tomorrow, but will probably follow EK's placement. I'm assuming if it did need the extra pads (card started to overheat) the card would throttle to protect itself?

Do Nvidia allow returns for their cards if they've had the stock cooler removed?

Associate
If the standard cooler had thermal pads to give contact to a part, then it must need cooling otherwise they would not do it.

As such when underwater and has no water or air cooling at all (Its effectivity enclosed) then something is wrong.

Make sure you get a specific answer to this question when asking EK, as otherwise I feel they are leaving you high and dry if you have an issue.

Soldato
If the standard cooler had thermal pads to give contact to a part, then it must need cooling otherwise they would not do it.

As such when underwater and has no water or air cooling at all (Its effectivity enclosed) then something is wrong.

Make sure you get a specific answer to this question when asking EK, as otherwise I feel they are leaving you high and dry if you have an issue.

If you look at the image on the first page you will see that half the thermal pad is hanging out and not even touching the block. I understand the train of thought that if a pad is on the reference cooler it must be needed on the water block but I have seen different blocks have different thermal pad layouts to each other i.e. Aquacomputer vs EK on the gtx780 block, where by the aqua block didn't have as many thermal pad contact points. The main concern I would have would be adding a pad/pads would cause the block to shift ever so slightly and cause a non contact or reduced contact in an other area, I have read about people using the wrong thickness of pad and having memory chips burn out due to lack of contact.

Going by the image on the first page if there is an issue and contact is needed in these unsupported areas then it looks like EK has to extend the block a bit and the Titan block might not be suitable. Does anyone know what these extra chips are?

Associate
Well congrats on the new card and if you are still worried fire over an email to EK, I have found their customer support very good in the past.

I have an EK Titan block and backplate sat here waiting for a 1080ti to arrive, hope I am not waiting too long. :)

I'll bet not. You will be choking to get it going. I'm doing a full new build and have hit a few snags with case painting in Scottish weather so I've been delays a fair but anyway. Should be up and running soon.

Soldato
I'll bet not. You will be choking to get it going. I'm doing a full new build and have hit a few snags with case painting in Scottish weather so I've been delays a fair but anyway. Should be up and running soon.

I hope so mate, I am looking forward to getting my hands on a new toy. Good luck with the build, I hope it goes smoothly from here on, these things always take slightly longer than planned. :)

Soldato
I found an image comparing the two pcbs of the Titan Pascal and the 1080Ti and looking at the image on the first page, it looks to be the chips on the right which got the extra pads? Which according to another link are mosfets.

Dkznogh.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/231282/reference-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-pcb-compared-with-titan-x-pascal

Base of EK Block:

1PefwYO.jpg

EKs instructions for the block with thermal pad layout:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109831687.pdf

Image from first page from Xereo's post:

17239839_1074080042737403_2827289467578925640_o.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I found an image comparing the two pcbs of the Titan Pascal and the 1080Ti and looking at the image on the first page, it looks to be the chips on the right which got the extra pads? Which according to another link are mosfets.

I believe the extra pads were on the inductors, the extra mosfet are cooled with the already installed thermal pads.

And I don't think inductors requires active cooling, if you look at 980Ti board layout, inductors on the left were never actively cooled.

One of the proposed argument was that since Titan X Pascal does not have the inductors where the 1080Ti does, the thermal pads were installed at the point of manufacturing to prevent shortage of the inductors to the air cooler, which are more than likely inherited from the TXP production lineup.

Soldato
I believe the extra pads were on the inductors, the extra mosfet are cooled with the already installed thermal pads.

And I don't think inductors requires active cooling, if you look at 980Ti board layout, inductors on the left were never actively cooled.

One of the proposed argument was that since Titan X Pascal does not have the inductors where the 1080Ti does, the thermal pads were installed at the point of manufacturing to prevent shortage of the inductors to the air cooler, which are more than likely inherited from the TXP production lineup.

Thanks for the info. If this is the case then its all good and makes total sense why they would add pads to the reference air cooler.

Back
Top Bottom