GTX 1080 TI and EK Titan X Pascal Waterblock - Anyone Fitted yet?

Associate
Well i have now completed a 24hour Heaven Benchmark, and all seems good, Max Temp was 50 degree with no throttling at 2060mhz.
Guess i will just leave the card the way it is, with part of the thermal pads sticking out, can't see it anyway once it's in the case :)

Soldato
Is it safe to fit a block with back plate, plug it in without any water and switch it on for a few moments to see if it still works?

No mate, never use a wc block without any water.

On the contrary, I've personally done it a couple of times, and demonstrate by Jayztwocents as well that you can POST fine with waterblock installed.

It's rather useful to double check that everything boots up fine before you fill the loop.

The waterblocks, assuming you remembered to put thermal compound on, act as a massive (& quite efficient) heatspreader for the card & CP, and if you don't stress the components the blocks are usually sufficient to boot into windows log-in screen.

But again, like all things in watercooling, do it at your own risk.

Soldato
On the contrary, I've personally done it a couple of times, and demonstrate by Jayztwocents as well that you can POST fine with waterblock installed.

It's rather useful to double check that everything boots up fine before you fill the loop.

The waterblocks, assuming you remembered to put thermal compound on, act as a massive (& quite efficient) heatspreader for the card & CP, and if you don't stress the components the blocks are usually sufficient to boot into windows log-in screen.

But again, like all things in watercooling, do it at your own risk.

Haha you've got bigger balls than me.

Associate
OP
Well i have now completed a 24hour Heaven Benchmark, and all seems good, Max Temp was 50 degree with no throttling at 2060mhz.
Guess i will just leave the card the way it is, with part of the thermal pads sticking out, can't see it anyway once it's in the case :)
Nice. reckon I got a bad chip then , under water I can only reach 2038 and + 500 on the vram - temps stay under 40 though - need more voltage :D

Associate
Sorry everyone, I was on a little vacation for the past days.

Like @deFiniLoGy mentioned above from it's EK answer, It's not necessary to put pads on these components on the far right. They won't get hot enough to justify the use of active cooling there. :)

Associate
Just finished mine... followed EK's instructions and pre-tested card for a few seconds before connecting to loop.

After an hours worth of testing (Heaven & Time Spy) I get a max temp of 51°C GPU and a max CPU temp of 78°C at stock settings (6700k and same loop with single 360 radiator, Heaven shows 1900mhz for GPU).

Now time to let it run for a few more hours :)

Associate
That seems rather warm, my Titan XP max's out at around 40 degrees @2070mhz and Cpu (5960x @4.5) at 52 degrees after a good few hours of bench testing in heaven , realbech etc

Soldato
Here's an image of the block. Got a sample of the fluid too. Checked my other blocks and they are all fine.
discoloration.jpg

Soldato
Fitted the Titan X block to my 1080ti this morning following the instructions, didn't use pads on the part someone else did where they stick out.

Highest temp I've got to so far is 26c after a hour of heaven. PC always runs cooler at work, will monitor tonight and see how high it goes, for reference highest my 980ti got to under water was 38c.

Soldato
Fitted mine last night & thought all was well, idle temps 24-25c couple of Firestrike runs showed 40c GPU-z render test again 40c.
However, 30 mins of Doom it hit 89c, Water temp was around 30c & CPU 50-60c so would I be right in thinking it's just an incorrectly seated block?

Also, applying the thermal pads, looking at the EK instructions the row of chips between where you place pads on 1 & 2, the stock cooler has pads on them.
I'm assuming the EK block doesn't need them?

Last edited:
Soldato
Be interested to see what kind of clocks the Ti is seeing under water compared with Titan X. Some of the better silicon might have a little extra headroom (improved memory ic aside). Hope the Strix clocks well.

For comparison, my TX does 2100mhz at stock volts and 5500Mhz on the memory. (22c water)

Back
Top Bottom