GTX 1080 Ti Seahawk - Worse performance with higher OC

Associate
Hi all.

Managed to get a secure OC at 2012 MHz on this card. Got 10400 on 3D Mark Time Spy.

Then got a stable OC at 2050MHz and the 3D Mark score drops to 9800.

Any idea?

I had an MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X edition before, and it was far simpler to OC. I think i dont understand something about the way watercooled cards work.

I've also tried a voltage/clock curve and cant get that stable either.

Soldato
Hi, l read a few reviews to compare the item to see what its like before l buy it.

So read a few about your GTX 1080 Ti Seahawk to see how it performs and they usually overclock them as well.

Soldato
Yeah as Andy said, it sounds like it could be a heat issue, obviously as you increase the performance you also increase the heat, 1080ti are power hungry cards even if that not as hungry as older generations, it's vary rare I overlock, but never had heat issues, some graphic cards also have limits, I tried to push a 270x once and while the clocks were reasonably high I didn't notice a big increase or any at all, maybe a slight decrease overall.

think of it as a car in a way, perhaps a diesel be easier to compare with, majority have a redline of 5000-5500 yet all the power is max at say 4000 for example, so you going beyond that isn't gaining anything so if heat isn't an issue maybe the clocks are limited and you gone beyond regardless of good stability or not?

Associate
OP
OK, so it seems I can get a good 2000 MHz clock, pretty stable, but its only adding +100MHZ to the core clock in the afterburner tool. Plus +500 MHz to the memory clock.

It seems they are pushed pretty far out of the box, plus they arent too dissimilar to the non-watercooled 1080 Ti, in terms of only adding 10% in the overclock.

Im reading more and more that this architecture limits the overclocking and heat so dont expect too much is my mantra here.

It actually runs games pretty well, but in that ever dying need for FPS, I'm pushing it to its limits, when i throttle it back a little, im getting 80-90 FPS in Mass Effect Andromeda and it looks amazing.

Very happy now i have realistic expectations.

Associate
OP
zPpIf

Back
Top Bottom