• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
AMD aren't in a position to save anyone, they're too busy trying to save themselves atm!

Lol, the good thing is by saving themselves they save us too ;)

The irony is it may be Intel that saves instead. Don't bet any money on it though as even if competitive they don't have a reputation for undercutting competitors pricing!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yup, they are a bit crazy. Ebay prices!!

Better to start high and work your way down though...

Haha, true. It is how mm works these days. My only concern is, if I make an offer of what I would be willing to pay, I would be upsetting people. So I just stay clear and don’t bother until the price comes down closer to what I would offer.

Like right now max I would offer for the Strix 1080Ti is £500, but if I offered that I am sure the seller would take it the wrong way. But to pay any more than that for a second hand 1080Ti when the 1180 is around the corner now would be madness in my opinion.

I remember when I passed on buying a brand new 1080Ti Aorus Xtreme for £560 brand new ages ago before prices went mental. So zero chance I would pay more than £500 for 2 year old Pascal tech when brand new shiny stuff is coming out :)

Caporegime
Here's hoping the new cards will support adaptive sync..... Unlikely though given that there is no reason why the 10xx can't have the support for it enabled.

If they don't and the new cards aren't massively better then it probably would be best just to pick up a second hand 1080ti when the prices crash.

Associate
@TNA We get that they are trying to sell their 1080Ti cards before the new cards come out to minimise loss in value, but they need to play the game a little bit. When the 1170 does come out, it'll likely be hard to get more than the average price of the 1170 if you have a 1080TI. Especially if the 1170 has the latest GDDR6 Memory.

Caporegime
Here's hoping the new cards will support adaptive sync.....

Problem is, that would turn AMD into a mining card company as they'd just get destroyed in the PC gaming market, and nVidia need that little bit of actual competition to stave off the monopoly's commission (although imo nVidia's real competition now is consoles, which will help to keep their pricing in check).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@TNA We get that they are trying to sell their 1080Ti cards before the new cards come out to minimise loss in value, but they need to play the game a little bit. When the 1170 does come out, it'll likely be hard to get more than the average price of the 1170 if you have a 1080TI. Especially if the 1170 has the latest GDDR6 Memory.

Yeah. They still have another month or so. But slowly less people will be willing to pay those prices. That said there is always that dude that over pays and buys a card just before the release of new ones saying they cannot wait any longer, then creates a thread saying how sick they feel after.

Associate
These prices are all thanks to AMD failing miserably at competing with NVIDIA. If the 1170 is as fast as a 1080ti, NVIDIA is in a whole other league at the moment.

Associate
These prices are all thanks to AMD failing miserably at competing with NVIDIA. If the 1170 is as fast as a 1080ti, NVIDIA is in a whole other league at the moment.
So you're upset that AMD doesn't make better GPUs just so that you can buy NVIDIA at a cheaper price no matter how good the AMD cards are. That's how we got into this predicament in the first place, isn't it?

Soldato
Here's hoping the new cards will support adaptive sync..... Unlikely though given that there is no reason why the 10xx can't have the support for it enabled.

If they don't and the new cards aren't massively better then it probably would be best just to pick up a second hand 1080ti when the prices crash.

I can think of one big reason why they won't enable it. Adaptive sync has become associated with AMD, it has become AMD's thing. Adaptive sync and Freesync are the same thing to a lot of people. Can you see Nvidia using it? What would it say about Gysnc? And what about all the work they put into and are still putting into Gysnc?

Soldato
I agree with this, but some are asking more than £700 which IMO is taking the mick. I would never advertise my 1080ti for that, even with the EK block still on.

This time last year I brought my 1080ti from a MM seller, with a nickel EK block and back plate and some bitspowers fittings for £650, I though that was good at the time eps as it saved me the effort of installing the waterblock lo

Soldato

My guess would be the best idea.

Not interested in Volta until the 1180Ti so my 1080Ti will still get some good use yet. Just not worth it with the games I play.

What many forget is we haven’t seen a release with miners involved as bad as it is now.

It was hard enough with pascal just to get a pre order in on release day never mind a card in stock. Seconds and they were sold out even at £600+.

My guess is 1080Ti’s will stay at around the 450ish mark. In line with 1170 pricing.

However who knows what stock will be like. They might be £600 rrp but sold for £1000. Anyone’s guess at this point.

Last edited:
Associate
Shame nvidia won't get back to using some of their dirty tricks special optimisations like the good old days when they used application detection on 3D Mark to drop IQ and boost the scores on their cards. :p

That would work perfectly if they could do that for mining software to cripple compute performance and make them worthless to miners but gamers would snap them up instead.

Never gonna happen though. A sale is a sale at the end of the day.

Caporegime
Yup I am fully expecting the 1170 to start at £450 and 3rd party cards to be starting at £480+

I'll have to see what happens at launch and go from there as I just can't justify spending more than £300 on a GPU, honestly, I don't even really want to spend more than £200 out of principle now :o :p

Back
Top Bottom