• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Shame nvidia won't get back to using some of their dirty tricks special optimisations like the good old days when they used application detection on 3D Mark to drop IQ and boost the scores on their cards. :p

That would work perfectly if they could do that for mining software to cripple compute performance and make them worthless to miners but gamers would snap them up instead.

Never gonna happen though. A sale is a sale at the end of the day.

They learnt that from ATI, good old Quaff/Quake 3 "optimisations" on the Radeon 8500 and alike :)

Caporegime
Tbf a potato could run 1080p :p

haha yup true that :D

It is more for future titles really (would be happy with even just a 1060 for now tbh but it's not really going to be great for the likes of division 2, anthem etc. unless the games are as well optimised as the likes of the first division and far cry 5......), that and I desperately need a card with proper HDR/HEVC support!

Soldato
Which ended up being a bug as it only affected a couple of textures.

First I heard of this ? say changing the .exe name "fixed" the issue and when they provided a fixed driver they ended up being slower than the competition rather than quicker. It didn't affect textures directly it affected the bitmap levels across the board. The PR statements are the time where also very cagey.

Caporegime
First I heard of this ? say changing the .exe name "fixed" the issue and when they provided a fixed driver they ended up being slower than the competition rather than quicker. It didn't affect textures directly it affected the bitmap levels across the board. The PR statements are the time where also very cagey.

From what i remember when it was actually investigated properly instead of the initial drama about it being cheating, it apparently only affected the floor texture of a few maps. Near 20 years ago to this point so a lot of the forum threads on it have long since disappeared, i would guess there's still a few articles floating around though.

The difference in the 2 was very obvious though, i find it hard to believe they would try and do that intentionally and think everyone playing quake 3 was Stevie Wonder.

Last edited:
Soldato
From what i remember when it was actually investigated properly instead of the initial drama about it being cheating, it apparently only affected the floor texture of a few maps. Near 20 years ago to this point so a lot of the forum threads on it have long since disappeared, i would guess there's still a few articles floating around though.

The difference in the 2 was very obvious though, i find it hard to believe they would try and do that intentionally and think everyone playing quake 3 was Stevie Wonder.

Gerard, you are correct it was a bug and the fixed driver maintained the performance increase of the bugged one while restoring image quality to the correct level: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/post-mortem-on-atis-q3-drivers-cheat-bug.145/

Caporegime
What rubbish:rolleyes:

You're a good one to be talking about "rubbish". If it was indeed a "cheat" then why do it to the extent that it was blindingly obvious that something was changed? The textures went from being sharp to incredibly blurry, and it was plain for all to see. Maybe they were trying something dodgy, maybe not, if they were then their testers must have been members of the Mr Magoo appreciation society for them not to notice the obvious differences that end users and reviewers would also have noticed.

Last edited:
Soldato
vanilla? i do not think there are any... but i would imagine if you go to town on mods with skyrim etc you will manage it... besides it is not about now, not all of us buy a card for 1 generation. I got my GTX980 in November 2014 and am only now getting ready to replace.

i would hope come 2022 more games will be maxing out more than 8 gb regularly.

Back
Top Bottom