• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Whilst random pop in etc won't be affected are you guys complaining about poor colour reproduction certain you are outputting full dynamic range?. I wasn't for a short while and the difference is truly night and day

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Assuming they release it in the next decade :p By the time a new gaming card from AMD arrives, I think we might have colonised Mars ;)

No, we will have reached Type III on the Kardashev scale, in possession of energy equivalent to the scale of our own galaxy, the ability to tap into the energy released from supermassive black holes and accessibility to power comparable to the luminosity of the entire Milky Way. Which is ironic, as we'll need all that just to cool Intel's CPUs by then! :D

The vivid colours in this video were produced by playback on an AMD GPU.

There is a black and white version available but solely for playback on NVidia GPUs.:D

Lol :D

Caporegime
7nm for NVidia is the big unknown. Because we know that Apple & AMD have almost fully booked TSMC 7nm production for years to come.

You can't make such an outlandish claim without evidence.

The other day you were complaining about me calling your posts nonsense, well, stop making nonsense posts.

According to the CEO of TSMC
The foundry has secured 7nm chip orders from about 20 customers including AMD, Bitmain, Nvidia and Qualcomm. The majority of the orders will be carried out in the first half of 2019, the sources said.
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180622PD204.html

So Is Panos right, or is the CEO of TSMC right. You choose,

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't make such an outlandish claim without evidence.

The other day you were complaining about me calling your posts nonsense, well, stop making nonsense posts.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180622PD204.html

So Is Panos right, or is the CEO of TSMC right. You choose,

Thank you for pointing out an article I hadn't read.

However the above means either
a) There is going to be no Turing 1180ti. (you do not change node half way a product circle)
So 11xx will have the shortest life circle ever.

b) The orders are for Tesla etc parts and not consumer cards except possibly a Titan

Caporegime

a) There is going to be no Turing 1180ti. (you do not change node half way a product circle)

b) The orders are for Tesla etc parts and not consumer cards except possibly a Titan
The talk of an August release date for the 1180 might be wrong tho.

Perhaps there are no nV gaming GPUs this year, as with AMD>

Man of Honour

People from TSMC including the CEO have talked about working with nVidia on 12FF and 7nm and have listed nVidia, but not AMD, in the client list for early adopters more than once.

I dunno where (well actually I do) these rumours about AMD booking up capacity at the expense of nVidia as they almost always seem to crop up on a new node and almost always wrong.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I actually thought that AMD will be getting 7nm early due to GloFo getting it before TSMC and AMD having a deal in place with them. Not to fussed about rumors these days (fake news everywhere), results are what count.

Hopefully the price cuts will get people to hoover up all this old Pascal stock so we can move on to something new asap.

Soldato

We have already seen a testing board for a big Chip version of what ever nvidia will call the new chips so they are already on on 1st tapeout/testing/A1 silicon for such a chip

Caporegime
I actually thought that AMD will be getting 7nm early due to GloFo getting it before TSMC and AMD having a deal in place with them. Not to fussed about rumors these days (fake news everywhere), results are what count.

Hopefully the price cuts will get people to hoover up all this old Pascal stock so we can move on to something new asap.

Every time someone asks about a 10x0 card everyone cries out 'wait! Wait! Don't buy old tech now! Don't be a fool!' anyone asking for advice is told not to buy. If they do have hundreds of thousands of 10x0 cards in inventory unsold then they will want to sell these first. If no one is buying them then they'll delay the new cards.

Caporegime

Same with AMD though.AMD will be making a Vega 2 for HPC use in datacenters early next year. Actualy consumer 7nm GPUS form either company wont happen until the end of next year.

No one really knows what the 1180/Turing lineup will be like. There might not be a 1180ti, or it might get released pretty soon after the 1180 or even at the same time. There is already the oddity that a Titan V exists. There wont be Titan based on Turing, would be pointless. No big difference between Volta snd Turing.

IMO, quite possible that an 1180 comes out 20% faster than the 1080ti, but there is no 1180ti but in a years time the whole line up shifts to 7nm anyway.

Caporegime

GF is well behind TSMC. This could actually be an issue for AMD since they have to buy certain production amounts form GF then AMD may have to delay 7nm GPUs for consumers until GloFo has caught up. AMD will be making Zen2 at TSMC 7nm, and liekly the Vega2 HPC datacenter GPUs. AMD consumer 7nm GPUs could well be at GF.

Associate
So what price do we expect the new 1180 to be around ?
I'm looking at price drops for 1080's priced around £500-565 and some EVGA cards have dropped 8% today alone. cheapest today is Palit @ £439.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Every time someone asks about a 10x0 card everyone cries out 'wait! Wait! Don't buy old tech now! Don't be a fool!' anyone asking for advice is told not to buy. If they do have hundreds of thousands of 10x0 cards in inventory unsold then they will want to sell these first. If no one is buying them then they'll delay the new cards.
There are a lot of mainstream clueless people who will buy them, don’t think we need to worry about that.

Not how it works, at least not really. The new cards are still going to drop and Ti prices will come down.
Yeah, there is only so long they can delay the launch if that is indeed what they are doing in order to sell old stock at higher prices.

GF is well behind TSMC. This could actually be an issue for AMD since they have to buy certain production amounts form GF then AMD may have to delay 7nm GPUs for consumers until GloFo has caught up. AMD will be making Zen2 at TSMC 7nm, and liekly the Vega2 HPC datacenter GPUs. AMD consumer 7nm GPUs could well be at GF.

Really? Did not know. Last I read something it said GloFo are skipping 12nm and are going straight to 7nm and as a result are way ahead.

This is why I do not bother reading as much rumours or news anymore. It will be out when it will be out and it will be what it will be. Can judge it when it is out.

So what price do we expect the new 1180 to be around ?
I'm looking at price drops for 1080's priced around £500-565 and some EVGA cards have dropped 8% today alone. cheapest today is Palit @ £439.
Hard to say really. My guess is it will either be the same price or $50 more than the 1080 was on release.

What that will translate into pounds after exchange rate, vat, shipping and UK gouging is applied is anyone’s guess. Lol.

Is it so hard to understand what he meant? He obviously meant same time as 1180. Otherwise it makes zero sense :p

Back
Top Bottom