• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
As for performance, an 1170 will match a 1080ti else no-one would bother buying a 1170 they'd just buy a 1080ti at it's reduced price. That's why a 1070 matched a 980ti and it's why a 970 matched a 780ti.

Surely most of the cautious comments here are based on a few major things:
  1. TSMC's 16nm to 12nm doesn't seem to offer any major density increases. A quick comparison of GV100 and GP100 shows around 3% increase in density stAcNw0.png
  2. We're assuming that the 'low hanging fruit' Nvidia found going from Kepler to Maxwell (taking out some compute functionality, moving to semi tile-based rendering etc.) for instance, are now gone and any architectural improvements will be much harder
Both of these factors imply any gains won't come easy.
Now, Nvidia surely know this so if they think they have to offer, for example, a 30% improvement it seems there is only one thing they can really do: sell a bigger die.
GP104 is only 312mm², while GP102 is only 471mm². This will affect Nvidia's margins but they may not have a choice. TSMC's 12nm seems to be okay for power usage if the Quadro GV100 is anything to go by
(https://www.anandtech.com/show/12579/big-volta-comes-to-quadro-nvidia-announces-quadro-gv100)
at almost the same frequency, GP100 only has a 15W higher TPU that buys around a third more die and around 42% extra SP and DP. And that's with 32GB of 16GB of HBM2.
So, assuming that Nvidia knew all this a few years ago, I think it all depends on whether Nvidia are willing to suffer a hit on margins.

Associate
"RanxZy, post: 31802307, member: 83475"
Mqioo7i.jpg

I2FUxOe.jpg

XupuxH0.jpg
/

The facts show that you could pre order well over 10 aftermarket GTX 1080s under £600 on launch day, but there are a few on here that consistently exaggerate the real prices NVIDIA cards go for upon launch.

Yes the Strix, FTW3 Hybrid etc are likely to be north of £700, but not everyone is willing to pay over £100 more for the premium aftermarket brands.

Still think the 1180 will be over £600 at launch with the Strix at a super high price, but I'll be pleasantly surprised at a $649 retail price.

Soldato
They have been the same price since launch, as far as I know and they even have them in stock on occasion.
Yeah, Nvidia have never raised the price through their own site. It's just that they're out of stock most of the time, since people have been snapping up every restock within minutes.

Associate
fine with my gtx 1080

used to always get the latest and greatest but its just a silly game by time you get the newest your only the best for a few months lol

had the 1080 ti XP Xp sold them all as the 1080 was just fine for a 3440x1440 with G sync

Soldato
The facts show that you could pre order well over 10 aftermarket GTX 1080s under £600 on launch day, but there are a few on here that consistently exaggerate the real prices NVIDIA cards go for upon launch.

Yes the Strix, FTW3 Hybrid etc are likely to be north of £700, but not everyone is willing to pay over £100 more for the premium aftermarket brands.

Still think the 1180 will be over £600 at launch with the Strix at a super high price, but I'll be pleasantly surprised at a $649 retail price.
1180 at up to £650 will be quite acceptable I think, given the 1080 was £619 at launch and still is, if they're ever in stock.
Some of the premiums people pay for aftermarket cooled carsdand complain about(£), they might as well get a FE card. IMO, most aren't worth £50 or 100 more than the equiv FE card.

Soldato
No it's not going to happen :p

1080 perf (ie the 1170) will be £450-£500 I imagine. Prices are going up gen-on-gen, not down :/

nV don't need to release the 11 series at all. So why would they do so and give away "free" performance, when they could make more money selling the 10 series? Can't see it happening until AMD bring something better than Vega.
Nvidia are greedy, but they aren't stupid. It's likely that Pascal is about to or even already has reached saturation point.

It's got nothing to do with free performance, they've got to give current owners something worth upgrading to.

Associate
Nvidia are greedy, but they aren't stupid. It's likely that Pascal is about to or even already has reached saturation point.

It's got nothing to do with free performance, they've got to give current owners something worth upgrading to.

Agree completely.

Now if only the PC actually had some decent upcoming games to play...

Associate
I bought a Gigabyte 1080 from OcUK for £530. No way were they £799+ at launch. That comment was utter nonsense.

i didnt say one way or another that your pricing was wrong. Please go back and read, it was a general question too, you were not quoted or asked directly.

I asked if they were the nvidia card that people had to wait 6 months for after paying. Simple question.

Back
Top Bottom