• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 295 or 285

Associate
OP
Any who buys a 285 is crazy, 2 4890s would stomp all over it for the same money, 2 GTX275s would stomp all over it for a little bit more money.

2 GTX260s would stomp all over it for the same amount of money.

Plus the fact that new cards are being announced today.

sorry i should have mentions im not particularly intrested in SLI / crossfire atm given my current resolution.given this wouldent going for 2 260's or 2 275's (depending on your knowledge / oppionion) be the same as a 295 in terms of why bother at that resolution?

@ yashiro, i was thinking of upgrading my monitor acctualy, but the if i did that it would be cause for SLI.

Are there a lot of games that would benifit from this or should i just stick to 1 GPU like iv always done (tbth my 19" monitor is big enough for me, and also correct me if im wrong but at lower resolutions, games get better performance ratings (even though it might notn look as flashy as a 24" widescreen etc...)

Soldato
sorry i should have mentions im not particularly intrested in SLI / crossfire atm given my current resolution.given this wouldent going for 2 260's or 2 275's (depending on your knowledge / oppionion) be the same as a 295 in terms of why bother at that resolution?

@ yashiro, i was thinking of upgrading my monitor acctualy, but the if i did that it would be cause for SLI.

Are there a lot of games that would benifit from this or should i just stick to 1 GPU like iv always done

The majority of newer games now support dual card set ups, it's actual rare to find games that don't.

Personaly I prefer the idea of a single card, at most a x2 card, less hassle, less heat and less noise.

Associate
OP
Also forgot the spec for the computer im building is something along the lines of:

gigabyte ex58 ud5 mobo
i7 920 (overclock to 4 GHz)
megahalems cpu cooler (with 2 scythe 1900rpm 120mm fans)
corsair HD 750 psu
1TB seagate HDD
150GB velociraptor
antec 1200 case

the idea is im not going to want / need to upgrade for a verry long time...
which i suppose is even more cause to wait for the new cards.

just to clarify (ignoting the fact that 2 260s may be better or cheeper (back to the rigonal quetion)are there enough games out there that would make use of the 295's self SLI (and not make it use just one core most of the time...making the answer be the 285)

sorry to be such a pain in the backside :D

Soldato
150GB velociraptor

I would swap that for an SSD, the new Crucial's are a great bargain.

My opnion is this, forget about both the 285 and 295, just ignore them, forever, both will be redundant within 6 months, the new 5870 however if early benchmarks are anything to go on should run rings around the 285 be either as fast or faster than the 295, it is also a single card.

Who knows, may even be cheaper than the 295, most info on the web points to this being the case.

Soldato
Neither fanboy nor troll.

Just enjoy laughing at all the desperate numpties waiting for any info regarding the new cards - it's almost as if you have nothing in your lives other than this? Kylew provides the most humour. Fenris is just a Kylew wannabe.

Thank you for making my point, why don't you try doing something other than jumping between threads rattling off cliches and trying to start arguments for a change, you might actualy enjoy being an nice person.

Associate
OP
thanks fenris for clearing that up for me about the amout of support for SLI cards in games. this leads me to pick the 295 to answer the origonal question. if i did get a biger monitor then the 295 would also help more (being a Duel GPU) or so im led to belive.

i think due to much advice im going to wait and see what the new cards are like (btw any info on when?) at least by then if i dont get one the current ones should be a bit cheaper.

never been a big fan of ATI cards, nvidea cards are considerably more, but there usualy very good cards :D

what about SSD drives? i'v never realy liked the idea of those due to the limitation on read/write functions or something (correct me if im wrong please) though be it several million? isnt a velociraptor fast enough? (iv stil got over a month to decide so try and convince me :))

lulz @ 295 mars, if i had that kind of money ii wudent mind spending a bit more on a whopping 2000000" monitor :D

also thanks everyone (most of everyone) for your input so far.

why cant ATI join forces with nvidea lol?

Last edited:
Permabanned
295 mate over 285. dont buy a crap ati card.

:rolleyes:

I must apologise to all the ati fans, i have always bought nvidia, simply as i thought it was better. I bought a 295 last week and yeah it was expensive i know, i have just built my friends system and put in a ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 "Rampage Deluxe" 2048MB GDDR5 and man i can't belive how good it is on gaming. I was actually in so much shock im thinking of selling my 295 to a friend who will give me 95% of what i paid, so no big loss and getting an ati card myself. The price of that was like 100 below the price i paid for mine. So from now on I won't be slagging off ati, and i think ill be investing in a 4870 x 2 rampage deluxe or a similar ati card tomorrow.

:)

Busted to be honest...

Soldato
FWIW I have an old style 260GTX and it runs everything I throw at it very well at 1680x1050. Unfortunately I have a Triplehead setup for sim racing, and at 5040x1050 the 260 can struggle even with minimal (x2) FSAA.

When I say struggle, frame rates can dip from an acceptable 50-ish fps to 30-ish at critical times, and that's why I'm keeping an eye on 295 threads and prices. Few people can really say they need that kind of horsepower, but Triplehead users (addicts might be a better word ;) are among them. I just can't quite bring myself to throw that much money at a single card... yet. :) It does make some sense though as I only have one PCI-E slot... otherwise I'd already have bought another 260.

Anyway, in your case I'd probably buy a bigger monitor + a cheap 260GTX. It doesn't sound -- from what you've said -- like you really need to spend all that money on a top end card.

Andrew McP

PS Actually I'd prefer to go back to ATI, because I've always preferred their FSAA. But their cards seem to run hotter and eat more electricity (when not in 3D out) at the moment. It'll be interesting to see what the next generation adds to the mix though... especially now I've read through the ATI 5*** thread. Very interesting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom