GTX 670 4GB With Sabertooth Z77 System Hang???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hi Guys, Sorry for this novel of a post but this **** has been a problem for over a month.

I built a friend of mine a computer with the following components;

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 (BIOS 1050)
GeForce GTX 670 4GB (KFA2) (Pre-Overclocked I believe) (this might be causing the problem?)
Intel i7 2700k @ 3.50Ghz (Stock Cooler)
Corsair HX650W Power Supply
16gb RAM DDR3 (2x 8GB in slots 1 & 3)
240Gb SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
HP 2229H Monitor @ 1680x1050

Got to say the machine is a beast, runs everything on MAX GTA IV, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Crysis, Dolphin ect. (legal backup of my games of course)

Unfortunately after a while of playing the system hangs & requires a reboot.
Anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing this issue, seems to me like it could be a conflict of some kind but nothing stands out, also Windows Error Log doesn’t seem to show anything at the time of the crash, it makes a note of me performing a hard reset but nothing immediately before that.

I was up till about 5:30 this morning ******* around with it & I'm running out of ideas.

If you need any other specs please let me know.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Aran

Associate
Have you tried doing a stress test on the system, using Prime 95 or something like that? If you could run that for a few hours and it doesn't crash then it helps point us towards the graphics department.

Associate
Hi Guys, Sorry for this novel of a post but this **** has been a problem for over a month.

I built a friend of mine a computer with the following components;

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 (BIOS 1050)
GeForce GTX 670 4GB (KFA2) (Pre-Overclocked I believe) (this might be causing the problem?)
Intel i7 2700k @ 3.50Ghz (Stock Cooler)
Corsair HX650W Power Supply
16gb RAM DDR3 (2x 8GB in slots 1 & 3)
240Gb SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
HP 2229H Monitor @ 1680x1050

Got to say the machine is a beast, runs everything on MAX GTA IV, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Crysis, Dolphin ect. (legal backup of my games of course)

Unfortunately after a while of playing the system hangs & requires a reboot.
Anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing this issue, seems to me like it could be a conflict of some kind but nothing stands out, also Windows Error Log doesn’t seem to show anything at the time of the crash, it makes a note of me performing a hard reset but nothing immediately before that.

I was up till about 5:30 this morning ******* around with it & I'm running out of ideas.

If you need any other specs please let me know.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Aran

Are you over clocking?

Associate
OP
Have you tried doing a stress test on the system, using Prime 95 or something like that? If you could run that for a few hours and it doesn't crash then it helps point us towards the graphics department.

Thanks for the quick reply. :p

Like I said this computer was built for a friend of mine, I also work 9-5, 5 days a week as an IT technician so I don't have much time to troubleshoot it.

He's bringing the machine down to mine now so I can run Prime95 & post the results ASAP... how long does it normally take to complete?

Thanks

Associate
OP
I have done a test before, think it did a few "Passes" or "Runs" with no errors, I'd rather not have to leave MemTest86 running overnight as I wont be able try anything else.

P.S Nice Steam avatar =D

Associate
do a ram test memtest86

This too. Prime 95 stress tests the CPU, and therefore the power supply and mainboard a bit too, along with the RAM (only partially). Run Prime 95 for as long as possible.

If you are limited on time, try running MemTest86 , then test the HDD/SSD by running some commands in CMD.exe (run as admin)

Commands (check here for where I got the info from, i'm not going to wipe your drives :p but I am not responsible if something goes wrong!)
Code:
chkdsk C: /r

You will have to reboot.

then move onto Prime. If the RAM has a problem then obviously don't run Prime :p

Then this moves us onto the Graphics Card, but we can help you out with that after you have done these things.

Associate
OP
I have just run a torture test on prime95 and it has caused the computer to hang within the first 10 mins... is this likely to be a problem with the RAM?

Soldato
That's high-ish, but not unexpected with stock cooler.

have you tried OCCT? I quite like that tool. Will gove you a graph of voltages, temps, fan speed (using the settings option) and CPU clock speeds.

What's your RAM settings (brand, type, timing and voltage, does it have XMP profiles).

Associate
OP
That's high-ish, but not unexpected with stock cooler.

have you tried OCCT? I quite like that tool. Will gove you a graph of voltages, temps, fan speed (using the settings option) and CPU clock speeds.

What's your RAM settings (brand, type, timing and voltage, does it have XMP profiles).

Having just run OCCT I have been presented with this message;

resultsmr.png

Where would I get the Timing & Voltage info from?

Soldato
Where would I get the Timing & Voltage info from?

BIOS, or CPU-Z. Can't remember if CPU-Z shows ram voltage, but shows timing.

OCCT will stop the test at 85C, for safety. That's in the settings (the yellow cog icon). But really, means the temperature is too high. You're running at 3.9GHz 1.2V turbo-boosted, so that's quite a lot of stress.

There is a temp limit in the BIOS, all motherboards have it. I'll have a look around in the online manual.

Another thing you can try is to disable hyper threading and run some tests. That should take it a bit easier on the CPU and will be more stable. Obvisouly not ideal, but there is something not quite right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom