• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

gtx 960 vs gtx 1080 benefits

Associate
Hi All,

considering upgrading my gfx card from a 4gb gigabyte gtx960 to a 1080 model, but not sure of the benefits i'd find from it with my current rig. Current rig is a x58a-ud3r with a xeon e5540 oc'd to 3.3ghz, just waiting for the x5670 to be delivered. SSD for boot and game drive but feel that the 1080 might be too much for the processor.

I'm planning on trying to get the x5670 to 4ghz and being a 6 core chip might be beneficial but what are peoples views?

Soldato
I'm not too familiar with CPUs from that era, but looking objectively, I'd at the very least wait until Vega is released. Whether or not it's considerably better than the 1000 series from Nvidia, people will likely be looking to switch, and that means some good deals on second hand GPUs will be available.

I switched from a 970 to a 1070, and notice a lot less stuttering in gameplay, since I use VSync to avoid screen tearing.

Back
Top Bottom