1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

GTX 980 - Underwhelmed, is it just me?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by richardirv, 15 Jan 2015.

1. BluD

Mobster

Should there be much difference between sli 660ti and a 980? My 7950 xfire performs about hte same as a 980, maybe slightly less powerfull, but if i remember correctly a 660ti was only slightly below a 7950, maybe 10% or so.

Maybe you need to move to a higher resolution to notice a big difference to make use of the extra vram.

2. milko

Gangster

Just use the Geforce Experience to get the latest drivers and check the 'clean install' box. At least then you know for sure that isn't part of the equation.

They include all cards in the same driver file but still newer ones are gonna be optimised to the latest cards as that's what they're actually working on.

3. opethdisciple

Capodecina

You should be seeing a massive difference I reckon. Even if ou had upgraded to a 970.

4. VincentHanna

Capodecina

SLI 660 he said...Would it be that big?

5. Squink

Soldato

Send the 980 back anyway and get two 970s

6. opethdisciple

Capodecina

I upgraded from SLI 670's to a 970. And I can definitely feel the difference.

7. richardirv

Hitman

I am pretty sure the drivers are ok but not at home right now to double check. I thought I had done enough research to guarantee the performance increase was worth it but if it isn't then I'm not too worried, I'll just save my money for the next generation card. The 660ti was a pretty decent card and overclocker in its day so as an SLI package it is still doing a decent job.

8. ALXAndy

Capodecina

The 660ti in SLI was the poor man's GTX 690.

It was able to comprehensively beat a GTX 780 so I don't quite understand how this 980 is supposed to be that much better. :confused:

Sure, the 780 had more VRAM and so does the 980 but that means little compared to horse power, unless the cards are being over worked on the RAM which results in texture streaming and input lag.

The only way you could really thrash what you had is with a similar set up, so 970 SLI or wait for the 960/965TI or whatever it's called.

I used to run two 670s in SLI and I managed to completely avoid the launch of the 780 because there was nothing in it for me. Sure, when SLI fails (very rare now days) the 780 would be better but even crap like Far Cry 3 was quickly sorted out.

9. richardirv

Hitman

Yeah I think your right, apart from the poor man bit! LOL

I was also hoping that being the single card I would get less frame drops and stutter but it seems just as prominent if not worse on the 980.

To be fair I have had very little time to fully test everything.

10. VincentHanna

Capodecina

At least run Unigine Heaven 4.0 and let me see how mine compares to yours.

11. Curlyriff

Wise Guy

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/80943/en-uk

That is where you want to go to find the correct driver. Start with a clean install of that and go from there. You should be noticing an improvement.

The driver you are currently using is not the latest driver for the correct card from what I have read.

12. richardirv

Hitman

Are you saying the driver is different for the 980 vs the 660ti?

13. Darren777

Gangster

Absolutely

You need to d/l and install the lastest nvidia driver for the 900 series cards.

14. LambChop

Mobster

So you've bought a 980, moaned about it and at the very very least one would expect is to update your drivers and you havent even done that ? lol

15. VincentHanna

Capodecina

They do use the same driver AFAIK.

But how old were the drivers on your PC?

16. [email protected]

Caporegime

If installing the most recent doesn't driver work, then maybe as a last resort you could clean out remnants of any previous software, and then reinstall the latest again.

17. richardirv

Hitman

Always one to lower the tone! Do you know 100% they are different?

18. Dervious

Wise Guy

Please, please, please install the latest drivers, and put us out of our misery ! ;)

(The first thing I would do in your situation is get the latest drivers installed).

19. Bonjour

Sgarrista

Aren't they unified drivers nowadays?

Still, best to download the latest drivers from NVidia's website. Hopefully it'll sort you out.

20. richardirv

Hitman

I will I will, I work till 9pm! hehe.. Still pretty sure they already are though!