1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice
  3. We recommend you enable 2FA on your OcUK forum account. Please see the thread here
    Dismiss Notice

GTX 980 - Underwhelmed, is it just me?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by richardirv, 15 Jan 2015.

1. richardirv

Hitman

Yep, that's what I have been saying!

2. LambChop

Mobster

Lower the tone ? You bought a card and jammed it in your machine expecting the wow factor, then when you dont get it you moan without even trying things to resolve it.

re: drivers : Well it depends on what version you currently have installed. Drivers bring compatibility, optimisations, profiles, performance, fixes etc Generally speaking, every single drivers brings something new to the table.

3. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

Even if they are the same driver does not mean they are configured the same way in use.

If I install drivers I have to remember to enable SLI where as on a single card this would not even come up. This is just a very simple example of the same driver working differently with a different setup.

When you get problems with graphics cards one of the first things you should try is reinstalling the drivers even if they are already the latest ones as they could have been corrupted/messed up in someway.

4. murah

Wise Guy

download the latest driver via Geforce experience! oc CPU to 4.2 ish and you should be good.

this is a PEBCAK error (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard) more than a hardware issue.

The drivers ARE different and you are required to install the very latest ones for your 900 series card, you don't need to change your OS at all.

fact is if you took the time to OC your CPU properly instead of going with a default MOBO profile your 660ti's would of performed better anyway although not much.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2015
  5. richardirv

Hitman

Did everyone miss the bit where I said I performed a clean driver install?

6. richardirv

Hitman

They are unified like Bonjour said, this means its one driver for a range of GPU's.

If you select 980 and download 347.09 then select 660ti and download 347.09 you end up with 2 copies of the same file = same driver!!

If someone has evidence to suggest this is wrong please tell me (without insulting my intelligence)

7. murah

Wise Guy

I am not trying to insult your intelligence but you are in fact wrong, one is optimised for the 600/700 series however the 900 series uses a new AA technology (MFAA) and has it's own dedicated flags as seen in Nvidia inspector, I tend to let Geforce experience handle driver updates for me now day's.

Case and point example would be when the 900 series came out they had their own driver revision and the 4-700 series used a different revision.

Regardless of them being the same size and driver name now one is still optimised to handle the 900 series new tech.

8. richardirv

Hitman

Ok if you are correct, and to be honest I hope you are, why when you choose your driver on the web site for the 980 does it say below compatible products. There is a large list of graphics cards that it says this driver works for, 660ti is included. How does that work? I really do think people are not understanding the fact that these are unified drivers!

9. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Comparing the md5 hash will confirm you are correct.

10. murah

Wise Guy

Well I hope I am correct too else I just made myself look very silly ;) but I'm pretty damn sure! but I have not downloaded from the website in ages so I'd go via geforce experience and see if you end up with different results

11. richardirv

Hitman

Don't worry about being silly fella, its seems more normal the way you described it, I could be me with mud on my face just as easy!! hehe

Can anyone confirm either way?

12. Bonjour

Sgarrista

Huzzah! Another computer-related problem solved on OcUK forums.

**Cue Happy Days music...**

13. richardirv

Hitman

Not so fast there!!!! We don't know for sure yet!! hehe

14. james.miller

Capodecina

They are identical. of course they are. md5 confirmed.

15. richardirv

Hitman

Phew! Thanks for that! Downside is it does mean that I have another issue on my machine or there really isn't that much difference between the 660ti SLI & the 980! Not a significant one anyway!

16. Bonjour

Sgarrista

When did you download the driver package you installed? Any idea on which revision it is?

17. [email protected]

Caporegime

I would have thought that the experience is smoother? Better minimum fps.

18. murah

Wise Guy

Id still install via geforce experience to see if you get different results to what you are now, I have a feeling about this one :p

19. richardirv

Hitman

I need to do more testing yet to be fair!

20. richardirv

Hitman

It is already installed, I checked everything after the install and it was all up to date!