• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX1060 vs RX580

Associate
Hi,

Think i've narrowed my search down to either:

GTX 1060 6GB STRIX ROG
GTX 1060 6GB Dual White
RX 580 8GB AORUS RGB

After watching some benchmarks there doesn't seem a lot of difference between these cards. I prefer the look of the strix to match my build, but is the RX580 a much better card? There is only about £35 between all three.

Thanks

Soldato
When I had to make the same choice last year I looked at which games the cards did better in and which one had the better cooler for the price. You can't really go wrong with either though (1060 or 480)

Soldato
I would go for the 580. It has more Vram which won't hurt and it's better at dx12 while holding it's own in dx11. Dx12 while slow in the take off will hopefully start being used more in the next year.

Soldato
1) If you have G-Sync or FreeSync monitor then go for the appropriate brand.
2) Check benchmarks in your most played games. If one wins on average by more than a small margin, go for that.
3) If there's no difference then I'd probably go for AMD because of the fact that (1) it should be better in Vulkan and DX12 titles, which should appear more frequently in the future, (2) FreeSync is more ubiquitous and cheaper than G-Sync when considering a future monitor upgrade, and (3) they need all the support they can get to counter nVidia's stranglehold on the market.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've been very impressed with my Nitro+ 580, as it seemed to have no problems with BF1 @ 1440P on high settings running 60-90fps.

Associate
OP
Thanks for replies.

So hard to choose. I must have watched about 20 videos with benchmarks etc yesterday.
I like the fact the 580 is future proof for DX12/Vulkan and has 2GB more memory, but the 1060 did score more higher FPS in games (apart from 2-3). On the other hand 580 has freesync and those monitors are a lot cheaper than gsync.

Guess i've got a bit of thinking to do but I suppose there is no rush, the prices can only go down anyway, and like I said the second I buy one NVIDIA will release there new models and the others will drop knowing my luck lol.

Associate
The cards are practically equivalent. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
I would just choose what's cheaper, unless you think about buying a new monitor soon, then choose the 580 as freesync monitors are much cheaper.

Associate
They're going to bounce back and forth as they equally matched you'll more than likely have the same experience unless running benchmarks where one may perform better than the other. Both are great cards though I would mean for the 1060

Soldato
I'm still using an XFX 480 and not had any real performance issues at 2560x1080, nor in VR. It's probably the best card I've owned. The VRMs on it are over-specced enough that they don't even need a heatsink on them.

Unlike Nvidia, AMD do still make improvements to old cards and it's noticeably faster than it was at launch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

Think i've narrowed my search down to either:

GTX 1060 6GB STRIX ROG
GTX 1060 6GB Dual White
RX 580 8GB AORUS RGB

After watching some benchmarks there doesn't seem a lot of difference between these cards. I prefer the look of the strix to match my build, but is the RX580 a much better card? There is only about £35 between all three.

Thanks

RX 580 is obvious choice. Is also the faster card between 10% to 20% at 1080p.

Associate
The 580 is a little better. But it’s coin toss.

You’ll be happy with either.

And as for the VR comment, I use a 290 (behind both the 1060 and 580) and VR performance on the Rift is fantastic

Associate
OP
Thanks.

Think I will be ordering the RX 580 Nitro+ ... has the RGB on the logo to fit theme anyway plus the back plate does actually fit the rest of my PC.

I saw you can get custom black plates and fans from Sapphire but I couldn't see a vendor or price.. any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom