• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX460 problem, PSU to blame?

Associate
So I finally got myself an Asus GTX460 1gb to use temporarily in my aging Socket939 pc while I save up for the rest of my new build.

I get BSOD about 5secs after booting into windows xp with a nv4_disp.dll error.

Uninstalled, reinstalled latest drivers several times (safemode, driversweeper etc) without any luck. Old gpu still works fine.

I am begining to suspect my 4 year old Seasonic S12 500w psu is to blame. Reading the box of the 460 it says it needs a 12v current rating of 42a, psu box says 12v1 17a 12v2 16a for a total of 33a(?).

Would i be right in blaming the psu? or am I reading it all wrong?
Just want to make sure before I cough up the cash for a new psu. :)

Thanks.

Soldato
PSU would not be causing these issues at boot-up. The only time it would cause an issue is under full load.
This seems to be a common problem with 460's as they seem to have compatibility issues with certain mobo's, I think it's an issue with the Vbios.
Speak to Gigabyte to see if they have a new bios you can flash to, or to see if that is in fact the problem.
If not send the card back for a refund or a different replacement GPU.

Soldato
I doubt it will be the PSU, I'm running a 460, with a E4500 (@3.2), and the usual HDDS/fans etc and not getting any power related issues. A 500w PSU (obviously a decent brand) should be fine with a single 460.

I'd look at Ejizz's post, and go from there.

Associate
OP
scotty365: both pci-e connectors are in, tried with bare minimum but still bsod.

Ejizz: you may be right, I was pretty sure beforehand that I could run a 460 on this psu. I will see if theres a new mobo bios(I have an Asus mobo btw:p)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Soldato
scotty365: both pci-e connectors are in, tried with bare minimum but still bsod.

Ejizz: you may be right, I was pretty sure beforehand that I could run a 460 on this psu. I will see if theres a new mobo bios(I have an Asus mobo btw:p)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I meant to check with Gigabyte to see if they have an updated Bios for your graphics card.
Won't hurt to update your mobo as well though.

Associate
OP
I meant to check with Gigabyte to see if they have an updated Bios for your graphics card.
Won't hurt to update your mobo as well though.

I know it's late at night but....the graphics card is also an Asus. (see my first post :p)

Anyway, it turns out I'm already using the latest mobo bios, no new bios for gpu.
I just tried using the 2nd pci-e slot after reading a few success stories, no bsod(!) but the screen flashes black intermittently and the whole system freezes if i try to open a video.

I'll see if I can try the card in my brother's pc and borrow his psu tomorrow.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its very unlikely to be a psu problem, if it can get into windows in safe mode and do stuff without crashing, it will be using basically no more power than with the drivers installed, also pre turning on a game/loading it in any way the peak power usage of a system is during start up, not getting into windows where power use is significantly down compared to the first 10-20seconds where everything starts up in full power mode and even things like fans use their highest amp ratings to get moving.

IE if it boots, its highly unlikely to be a psu issue if it then crashes at IDLE in windows.

Assuming its a fairly standard windows install(Fresh install?) fully updated and ready to go, is it crashing without the driver installed? What about opening a video without the driver installed and no hardware acceleration coming into play.

When you stick a higher power device in an PC, it can change things like a CPU that was stable at 4Ghz, under load with an extra 100W of gpu being used, that stable level might come down to only 3.95Ghz, or maybe 3.5Ghz because the 4Ghz was borderline stable in the first place.

I also just noticed you're on Win XP, are you 100% sure you're choosing the right driver(I honestly can't remember if win XP will throw a fit if it thinks its a driver for a different OS). Is it the 64bit XP, did you try a much much older driver, maybe do a google search see if you can come up with the most stable driver for Win XP, which might be completely different to the lastest most stable driver for Win 7 as most companies for higher end stuff are focusing on drivers for Vista/7 over XP.

Its definately possible to be the PSU, but frankly I'd expect non starting and for it to crash without drivers installed and in safe mode aswell.

Checking various bits in alternate PC's is often the best way to check if hardware is faulty or not, if the card crashes in any computer its in with the drivers installed, its likely a duff card, I'd try and check with the latest drivers on a win 7/vista computer if you can arrange that because that would also help to rule out XP problems.

I keep seeing this VBIOS issue discussed, and I've seen very little real evidence it exists, Rroff thinks Asus aren't always great with SLi, and thats about it, though dozens of the best overclockers in the world haven't had issues with Asus and SLI and I've seen very little evidence that Fermi has more of an issue. Its more people trying to diagnose a fault, coming up short and guessing at various other potential problems, which isn't uncommon, enough people guess the same thing enough times and suddenly it becomes "internet knowledge" and therefore proven :p

Associate
I have a 460 with a asus board check my sig to see if its the same disconnect things you don,t need on your computer ie run it with bare minimum see if that works

No problems running it but my psu is stronger than yours

Associate
OP
drunkenmaster: Thanks for the comprehensive reply. It only crashes once the drivers are installed and rebooted, I am using the latest nvidia driver(258.96) for xp32bit.

It hadn't really crossed my mind to try older drivers because support for 460 has only been added recently but i'll give it a go anyway until I can access my brother's pc.

Associate
OP
I think the card itself is dodgy, tried it in brother's pc (win7 64bit, 550w corsair psu) same problems.

Rma time. :(

Thanks for all the replies.

Back
Top Bottom