• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX470 crashes Vantage when overclocked?

Soldato
My Asus GTX470 crashes 3dMark vantage even though it behaves fine in Kombustor.

The screen goes to standbye and ive usually to hold the power button to get it turned off. It doesnt artifact or anything it just powers off. Sometimes it messes up the bios boot order on restart.

It works fine stock but when I try for an overclock it just goes t*ts up.

I thought I should see artifacting rather than just crashing?

Just wondering what could be causing it to behave this way. Ive tried running the fan at full speed and fitting a beefier PSU.

Thanks
Scott

Soldato
OP
Ive tried quite a few but the lowest is 700 and stock mem. Ill try it in a wee while with 5-10 mhz.
The thing i cant get is the crashing rather than artifacting even though its ok on Kombustor?

Associate
Kombuster is useless for real world testing chap. I'd only use it if i thought a card had a cooling problem or something similar and i wanted to check temps, you need to base your stable overclock around something like Heaven 3.0 as this gives a broader more realistic test on the card.

You should really test it out on all your games and the one it crashes on the most/lowest OC should be your basis for this OC and future ones.

EDIT: Have you increased voltage at all? There is a chance you just got a bad clocker.

Soldato
OP
Kombuster is useless for real world testing chap. I'd only use it if i thought a card had a cooling problem or something similar and i wanted to check temps, you need to base your stable overclock around something like Heaven 3.0 as this gives a broader more realistic test on the card.

You should really test it out on all your games and the one it crashes on the most/lowest OC should be your basis for this OC and future ones.

EDIT: Have you increased voltage at all? There is a chance you just got a bad clocker.

Thats better!

Maybe my vantage install was a bit screwed up as it seemed to lock up at the end of benchmarks a lot.

Heaven 3.0 is much better it hasnt caused any blank screens yet. Im up to 725 on the core so far with it but I dont think this card is going to clock much further to be honest as ive had to up the volts a little to get it not to throw up the odd artifact at that speed. Might stip off the cooler clean it out and put some new TIM on before giving it any more volts.

Thanks for the input.
Cheers
Scott

Back
Top Bottom