• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX680 3 Way Help Please

Caporegime
According to the user manual (page 1-5) slots 2, 4 and 6 are only PCI-E 2.0 x1 speed.

If that's the case you won't be able to successfully use them for a GTX 680.

Associate
OP
Thanks for looking 
Ok from looking on the Msi site they give this info

Slots
• 4 PCI Express gen3 x16 slots
- PCI_E1 supports up to PCIE x16 speed
- PCI_E5 supports up to PCIE x16 speed when PCI_E3 is empty, or supports x8 speed when PCI_E3 is occupied
- PCI_E3 & PCI_E7 support up to PCIE x8 speed
• 3 PCI Express gen2 x16 slots
- PCI_E2, PCU_E4 & PCI_E6 support up to PCIE x1 speed

Now this is where I get lost, it says in BOLD! 3 PCI Express gen2 x16 slots, but then below it says up to PCIE x1? Also if I look at the PCIE Slots on the board the E2, E4 & E6 all look like they have pins over half the socket saying they are 16x slots :s

Caporegime
All the slots are physically x16.

2 of the slots are hardwired for x16 and the other 5 are hardwired for x8 speed (see image below).

However the manual says 3 of these slots only operate at x1 speed.

You could try running one of your cards in one of the slots stated to run at x1 speed (slots 2, 4 and 6) and see what speed they actually operate at.

Associate
OP
Cheers :)

I will have a play tomo, my next problem if I do manage to get a 3rd card installed, will a Sli bridge fit as the gap is 90mm between 2 cards :s

If the Sli bride would be a problem I will need to water cool, do OcUK Stock any water blocks for the 4Gb cards... Thanks

Associate
OP
The manual also states it can run • 4 PCI Express gen3 x16 slots lol but like you said it only has 2 16x slots from the photo, interesting to see what performance difference I will get from different slots.

Caporegime
The motherboard comes with various flexible SLI connectors.

You'll have to have a look and see if they'll stretch across the gap between the slots or if you need to get longer ones.

According to EK then if this is your card: GeForce® GTX 680 JETSTREAM (4096MB GDDR5)

these will fit:

EK-FC680 GTX+ CSQ Full Cover Waterblock

EK-FC680 GTX+ CSQ Full Cover Waterblock - Acetal

EK-FC680 GTX+ CSQ Full Cover Waterblock - Nickel Plexi

EK-FC680 GTX+ CSQ Full Cover Waterblock - Acetal + Nickel

Check the Cooling Configurator for confirmation.

Caporegime
The manual also states it can run • 4 PCI Express gen3 x16 slots lol but like you said it only has 2 16x slots from the photo, interesting to see what performance difference I will get from different slots.

4 cards is at x16, x8, x8, x8 speed using slots 1,3,5 and 7.

Other than a small amount in benchmarks you won't notice a difference between x16 and x8.

The problem is if slots 2, 4 and 6 do only operate at x1 speed.

Back
Top Bottom