• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX680 Low FPS?

Caporegime
Hi all,

You'll have to excuse my limited knowledge on computer hardware but I'm hoping you will be able to help me out.

My computer is about 3 years old and due to passing my exams my parents have treated me to 2 new evga gtx680 graphics cards to upgrade my system. I've managed to install them all fine etc except im getting really poor results for some reason and I can't figure out why?

On Battlefield 3 I'm getting around 10-20fps on high settings and ultra is totally unplayable. A friend told me to run 3DMark Vantage to see what score I got and it was 11,021 which I'm not sure is good or bad?

I'm starting to wonder if my new graphics cards are faulty and wondering if I should return them or not? All my drivers and windows are fully up to date so any help would be much appreciated.

My system is:

CPU: Intel Q6600 2.40 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D LGA775
RAM: 2GB 1333MHz (Unsure of brand)
Graphics: 2x EVGA GTX680
PSU: Corsair Professional Series AX1200 High Performance 1200W
Case: Antec 1200

Many thanks in advance!

Permaban tbh

why did anyone reply to this guff?

Associate
OP
Well it seems I've stepped on some peoples toes here or something. I created an account on this forum to ask for genuine advice on upgrading an old system, and instead I'm getting abuse. I've already been bullied enough throughout my life and I certainly did not expect to receive these kind of replies.

However, thank you to the people who did help - it has helped me big time and the parts are now on order. I will certainly be avoiding more modifying as I don't think it's a good idea for someone with my knowledge!

Last edited:
Soldato
A q6600 @ 3.6 will bottleneck a 5870 to an average of 80% gpu use across a selection of games.

Given that ONE 680 is twice as fast as a 5870, its clear to see where the problem lies.

This exactly.

My [email protected] bottlenecks my 5850 to around 84% usage.

As for using 2.0v for overclocking!! LMAO:eek::p

1.5v is the absolute max recommended for Q6600 especially on air.;)

Caporegime
Well it seems I've stepped on some peoples toes here or something. I created an account on this forum to ask for genuine advice on upgrading an old system, and instead I'm getting abuse. I've already been bullied enough throughout my life and I certainly did not expect to receive these kind of replies.

However, thank you to the people who did help - it has helped me big time and the parts are now on order. I will certainly be avoiding more modifying as I don't think it's a good idea for someone with my knowledge!

Why would that system have a 1200 w PSU in it?

You know the frequency of the ram but not the make?

You're full of BS

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would that system have a 1200 w PSU in it?

You know the frequency of the ram but not the make?

You're full of BS

Maybe he used to run multiple GPUs before? Maybe even three? who knows?

I saw a machine built by Origin the other day that came built with a single 6950 in it and a 2500k and it had a AX1050 or whatever. Total and utter overkill.

But, people do it. At the time he built it he could have been using Quad SLI or something?

I mean yeah, it is a bit fishy, but jumping down someone's throat is a bit off also.

Associate
The fix is simple. jack up the two GTX 680s and slide a new computer in place.

I'd keep the case and the PSU and the OS. The rest has to go. New CPU, mainboard, RAM.

I'd recomment
i5 2500k with a good Z68 board and 8GB RAM

Back
Top Bottom