• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX680 OC vs HD7970 OC Review

Associate
Guys,
Very interesting read here. Although I have ATi cards at the moment I have no great loyalty between the red and green camps!
It seems that the GTX680 and HD7970 overclocks, (1335/1800 for the 680 and 1250/1870 for the 7970) the cards are neck and neck!
Although according to the review the GTX 680 has significantly better energy efficiencies and clock potential than the Taihiti XT @ 28nm.
This is the closest, in my opinion, that the High end cards are so closely matched performance and price wise in a very long time!, if ever?
Not so much the wiping of the floor with ATi, that was concluded in some reviews I have read online. nVidia bias maybe?
Happy gaming!
Jonnygrunge.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys,

It seems that the GTX680 and HD7970 overclocks, (1335/1800 for the 680 and 1250/1870 for the 7970) the cards are neck and neck!

Jonnygrunge.
If they're neck and neck I'd buy the nvidia card as it's just been released and has more potential on the drivers alone. When the GTX580 came out I remember seeing drivers bringing 10+% improvements in some games over the course of a few months at least, maybe over longer periods (so total performance gains from drivers alone might have been closed to 20% eventually)

Soldato
I loled the games and setting chosen for comparison.

AVP result: Dismissed due it being heavily AMD biased.

BF3 and Crysis 2: AA off...seriously? Most people know by now that AMD cards loses a much bigger chunk of fps than Nvidia's equivalent on AA application, and the results between the two would widen when AA is applied.

Batman result: should be ignored as well just like AVP, as it is biased toward Nvidia.

Also, as already pointed out in other threads...if people think every single 7970 can overclock to 1200MHz and beyond, they are in lala land as many 7970 owner struggle to get beyond 1150MHz. As for the 1335MHz on GTX680, that's remain to be seen whether or not if majority of the GTX680 can hit that frequency at ease, or would it be struggle just like the 7970.

Last edited:
Soldato
Overclocking - My card managed to get a little higher than Mike's did toping out around 1355 on the Core. I fully expected cards to be different, but with a close distance, and for the most part that is the case here . But overall, 300+MHz overclocks on the GPU Core is quite impressive to say the least.

nice ! :D

Man of Honour
Also, as already pointed out in other threads...if people think every single 7970 can overclock to 1200MHz and beyond, they are in lala land as many 7970 owner struggle to get beyond 1150MHz. As for the 1335MHz on GTX680, that's remain to be seen whether or not if majority of the GTX680 can hit that frequency at ease, or would it be struggle just like the 7970.

Most people so far seem to fall between 1270 and 1350 for overclocks on the GTX680 but with the software being somewhat more complicated for overclocking the 680 I wouldn't want to say just yet where the average attainable overclock lies - I think people will get to better grips with it in the coming weeks.

Back
Top Bottom