GU10 bulbs not working even though new bulbs have been fitted

Soldato
I am a little confused, we moved into the new place not long ago and I replaced many of the lightbulbs in the spotlights. Quite a few of the spotlights don't work despite the new bulbs. These lights use the GU10 fitting. Is there a part that I would need to replace other than the bulb itself? I am currently sitting in the "office" room and it is quite dark because I only have one of four bulbs operational!

Associate
Gu10s usually have very little to go wrong with them apart from bulbs blowing - are they on a dimmer switch? if so that could have failed? are the non working ones in a row or one side of the room or all random mixed with the working ones? are they all on the same switch or multiple switches?

If they arent gu10s and are really 12v bulbs then the lamp holders and transformers fail quite often

gu10s are mains 230v with mushroom tip ends you twist in
12v bulbs have 2 prongs you push into the lampholder

also quality of bulbs seems to be going down i wouldn't assume a new bulb from the packet actually was working especially cheaper brands - swap the known working bulbs into the non working fittings to double check

if its not the easy stuff to check it could be a loose connection or melted connection from being too close to bulb etc and the downstream ones aren't getting power or loose connection at a normal on/off switch rather than failed dimmer

Soldato
if its not the easy stuff to check it could be a loose connection or melted connection from being too close to bulb etc and the downstream ones aren't getting power or loose connection at a normal on/off switch rather than failed dimmer
I moved into a place with 14 of these in one room, half didn't light and most of those had melted bulb fittings. This is with 12V bulbs, I believe GU5.3 fitting. Bought a pack of better quality sockets, they're all attached by terminal blocks anyway, job done. Also replaced 50W bulbs with 20W as they weren't any brighter, just produced loads more heat.

Soldato
Has the positive/negative cable come out of the light casing itself that you pull down?

I've had 2 in my house come out, due to the electrician being a tard and not allowing any give to replace the bulbs once in situ...

Back
Top Bottom