*** Guardians of Galaxy ***

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
FWIW I am a big fan of the movies but that does not mean I'll automatically like the game just because of the story/lore etc. Granted I have not played it so my view is based on video reviews and gameplay videos people have posted and what I've seen is visually impressive, sure, but the gameplay itself looks repetitive the same thing that made me get bored of Horizon Zero Dawn. The QTEs have been mentioned many times in reviews now, even the last one posted above on Worth a buy.

Soldato
FWIW I am a big fan of the movies but that does not mean I'll automatically like the game just because of the story/lore etc. Granted I have not played it so my view is based on video reviews and gameplay videos people have posted and what I've seen is visually impressive, sure, but the gameplay itself looks repetitive the same thing that made me get bored of Horizon Zero Dawn. The QTEs have been mentioned many times in reviews now, even the last one posted above on Worth a buy.
Tbf mack will trash most triple a titles. I like to think of his reviews as worst case views. If Mack likes it, it's probably good (or some super old school quake style shooter).

Associate

The gameplay isn't repetitive and this is coming from a person that will never finish a game if it is, I just get bored far too easily these days and in regards to the QTE's, these aren't as bad as people who haven't even played the game are making out to be, I absolutely hate QTE's and this was the sole reason I didn't play the Tomb Raider games.

If it hadn't been for me being a massive fan of Mass Effect and the release of the Legendary edition last year, this would have been game of the year for me.

Soldato
Still not got this as in 2 minds but does look a good game but not a fan off QTE in games :(
played for 2.4 hours and had maybe 1 or 2 QTE events that both was just hitting 1 button at the right time. i HATE QTE events but im ok with it. so far

its only used in those moments trying to save yourself

Associate
Yeah, seeing all the comments about QTE surprises me as I can remember only a few at most.

I completed the game (just under 17 hours played total) with 49 out of 59 achievements - definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence. It was just a really fun game, great soundtrack and dialogue. It sounded like the voice actors were having a genuinely good time!

In the entire 17 hours I had just the one bug as well - I got stuck trying to progress through a small ventilator. Locking the game to 30fps solved it though (and I think it was patched right after as well).

Soldato
I had a go at this, and this is my first impression:

Story, characters and dialogue are great.

Gameplay is a bit meh. It's not bad, but it feels very much like a vehicle for the story more than entertainment in and of itself.

If you like games that are sort of an interactive film, then this is great in that respect: genuine laughs, really amazing environments, and a decent plot.

If you are the kind of person that needs more, you might find yourself getting bored while you try to hurry along to the next bit of the story or set piece.

Regrettably, I was in the latter camp, and I still want to play it because I just really liked the characters, but the combat is fairly uninspired and the crafting and upgrades feel like an afterthought.

Soldato
I've played a bit and generally enjoying. A couple of jarring bugs:
The game seems to get mixed up about what controller you are using, and gives tips for the wrong controller from time to time. Thankfully it doesn't seem to do this during QTEs.

The 'incidental' dialogue has a nasty habit of just cutting off because you've moved slightly. It's annoying because it's sometimes interesting or funny, and doesn't make any sense. Like if you get 6 feet away from someone they will go from perfectly audible to silent in the space of an extra inch.

I'm not, to be honest, really getting the intention of how you're supposed to work the combat either. I'm probably missing something, but generally when trying to get a teammate to do anything I'm having to stand still and potentially get hit.

All that said, as I say, I'm enjoying the game.

Soldato
Just download this on Game Pass. From what I've read the character interaction is the best thing about it. Doesnt follow the movies at all with regards to characterisation and the game can be a bit meh in places. Will be interesting to see.

Man of Honour
I’m really enjoying it. Gameplay is pretty average and the story reasonable so far, but the character dialogue is top notch. Glad I didn’t pay full price for it, but ideal on Gamepass. It’s made me smile and laugh constantly.

Associate
The game seems ok in the short time I've played it but the frame time spikes (like many pc games I've played recently) are horrendous.

It's so bad I can't play it much more which is a shame.

Soldato
One of my favourite games of the last few years. I'm big into storytelling in gaming, so this is right up my street - and the VA, facial animations and characters are just brilliant.

Massive spoiler alert in the below video, but the last 10 minutes of GamingWins sums up this whole game perfectly for me. "It sucks that we get soulless games pumped out year after year just because the formula works and makes money....when we could be putting resources and money into projects like this". And it's completely true

Back
Top Bottom