Guidance required - home networking options

Associate
Looking for some guidance as I've never been on top of networking options etc..

Currently have 100mb virgin with virgin router in downstairs lounge. I use a powerline adapter to get consistent 100mb speed to gaming room upstairs (which 'touch wood' has been fine) and the wifi extender (crappy TP link thing which is less great) at the back of the house.

I'm wondering if I'm better to get a proper router/switch in the gaming room which connects to the power line adapter and my PC plus then gives proper wifi to the other side of the house (and outside of house for EV home charger and tesla).

Can anyone recommend options please?

Something like this?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rt-ax92u-ax6100-wi-fi6-aimesh-system-pack-of-1-nw-119-as.html

Thanks

EDIT

so after a bit of research I reckon an access point installed upstairs linked to the power line will sort the WiFi, but not sure if I’ll need a switch to split the Ethernet feed from the power line into the access point and my pc.

Also do access points need separate power feed, I.e plugged into socket or not?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Seldom a good idea. Run actual cables. Don't be afraid to drill holes through walls and run cables around the outside of the house - as long as you use outdoor-spec cable, of course.

thanks but not going through the hassle of running cable outside and around the entire house. Power line has been working more reliably than the virgin router itself so I’ll stick with it.

Associate
OP
I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve but a dedicated cable to a switch and your PC into the switch.

Then if you need to extend the Wireless, go with Ubiquiti.

I guess I’m asking how best to get strong WiFi across my house.

is it worth replacing virgin super hub 3?

for upstairs I’ll have Ethernet cable coming from the power line but not sure exactly what equipment is best to 1. Connect to pc, and 2. Provide strong wifi signal to that side of the house.

Soldato
I guess I’m asking how best to get strong WiFi across my house.

is it worth replacing virgin super hub 3?

for upstairs I’ll have Ethernet cable coming from the power line but not sure exactly what equipment is best to 1. Connect to pc, and 2. Provide strong wifi signal to that side of the house.
In that case, into a switch and then dedicated into a AP would be my go-to :)

Back
Top Bottom