{Guitar} Effects box

Soldato
Well my Zoom GFX-5 is packing in after years of abuse so i'm in the market for a new effects rack. I recently purchased an Ibanez 'Weeping Demon' pedal which is simple superb and i'm thinking of splashing out roughly £100-150 on a new pedal rack but can't decide on what to get.

so any advice and recommendations welcome, cheers

Tk7

Tk7

Associate
What sort of effects do you need it to cover? Are you after something like the Zoom again?

It's been a while since I owned a multi effects unit, I have always used single pedals, but I can maybe make some suggestions if I know what you're after.

I used a Bud-Wah>Sansamp GT2>Danelectro Dan-Echo>Marshall DSL100 for a while awesome setup. The Sansamp was great I got fantastic tones from it, particularly into an old Gibson Goldtone 15w I used to own.

Soldato
[...] If you are prepared to fork out up to £250 the boss gt8 is the way to go [...]
It's a bit less of a stretch; I've just seen it for £229 from Sound Control [and I'm guessing that that price can be beaten, too]. Don't ask me what I paid for mine :(

It's a beast of a multi-FX; but be warned: the presets aren't brilliant, so if you go for a test drive, keep in mind the unit's potential rather than directly judging what you hear. Also, with great power comes great responsibility. Did I say 'responsibility'? Sorry, I meant 'thick manuals and a learning curve like one side of the Eiffel Tower'. So if immediacy and intuitiveness are key factors, there may be more suitable alternatives out there for you. :)

Soldato
OP
im after this kind of effects setup and seen this for £124 which seems extraordinarily cheap , but that might be due to poor quality sounds

1007-large.jpg

or at £129
1018-large.jpg

i'm not really after studio quality nor will it be used for gigging, all i want is a decent sounding effects system in one unit so i can avoid endless trails of leads all over the floor.

cheers

Soldato
OP
hmm, I've just done a quick google and found the ME50 for £150 which is probably the best option, like you so eloquently state ^^ can it be had cheaper ?

Man of Honour
I don't think you will find it much cheaper than that. I would buy from somewhere with free delivery to avoid any additional costs. Enjoy your new toy!

Associate
I have the Korg AX1500G which i think is the predecessor to the AX3000G. I must say it's alright but don't think i would ever buy another one. One thing that i didn't like about it was than when i put it through my amp it seemed to reach a certain point and wouldn't go any louder no matter if i adjusted my amp settings or not, might have been a fault in the unit though. I got it of the bay for around £50 so i can't complain, and i really only use it at home for playing with headphones on. I find the presets on it are just alright, there isn't one i can play and think that's brilliant (certainly not distortion wise) and i can't be bothered to fiddle with the settings. I think one of the boss units would be the way to go, you are basically getting all their analogue stomp boxes combined into a digital effects unit, whereas with the likes of korg and zoom etc they are trying to emulate the likes of Boss, MXR, DOD etc and their analogue boxes.

Associate
I think one of the boss units would be the way to go, you are basically getting all their analogue stomp boxes combined into a digital effects unit, whereas with the likes of korg and zoom etc they are trying to emulate the likes of Boss, MXR, DOD etc and their analogue boxes.

Actually the Boss Multi Effect units are also simply emulating their analogue stomp boxes, using the COSM digital modeling. They don't sound as good as the original foot pedal units. Digital distortion never quite sounds right, and the chorus effects are usually quite sterile. For the price you get a lot of effects, but most are only 75% as good as the stand alone foot pedals.

Associate
Actually the Boss Multi Effect units are also simply emulating their analogue stomp boxes, using the COSM digital modeling. They don't sound as good as the original foot pedal units. Digital distortion never quite sounds right, and the chorus effects are usually quite sterile. For the price you get a lot of effects, but most are only 75% as good as the stand alone foot pedals.

Thats what i meant just didn't word it very well lol. What i was getting at was the fact that boss are emulating themselves so you would imagine they should be able to get nearer their own sound digitally than the likes of Korg, Zoom etc if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom