• Competitor rules

    Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Guru 3D 8800 GTS 320mb OC review up

Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
3,127
Location
Leicester
Seems it might be worth having the extra memory for DX10 titles. But then again they are perfect for DX9. These reviews make me more confused lol. :D

I have been reading the Annandtech review. I think I would want more memory.
 
Soldato
Joined
28 Oct 2005
Posts
9,147
Location
Scotland
Pants said:
Seems it might be worth having the extra memory for DX10 titles. But then again they are perfect for DX9. These reviews make me more confused lol. :D

Its funny because no one has played a Dx10 game! Pretty much we know that at 1280x1024 there aint much of a difference! So if you cant afford the 640 then certainly the 320 is a great option!

No reason to settle for 512mb DX9 cards now!
 
Associate
Joined
18 Nov 2003
Posts
1,803
Great for 1280x1024 .

Now what if you get 8800GTS 320mb then buy 8800GT 640mb (as main/1st card) would it work in Sli? with 640mb ram?
 
Associate
Joined
18 Nov 2003
Posts
1,803
Pants said:
Seems it might be worth having the extra memory for DX10 titles. But then again they are perfect for DX9. These reviews make me more confused lol. :D

I have been reading the Annandtech review. I think I would want more memory.

didnt like thats review cos they didnt do 1280x1024
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
3,127
Location
Leicester
jrodga2k5 said:
Its funny because no one has played a Dx10 game! Pretty much we know that at 1280x1024 there aint much of a difference! So if you cant afford the 640 then certainly the 320 is a great option!

No reason to settle for 512mb DX9 cards now!

Check out the Anandtech review. The memory is making a difference when big textures are used. And I suspect DX10 titles will use as much as or more than quake 4 on the ultra setting.

I'm still unsure! :(
 
Caporegime
OP
Joined
8 Jul 2003
Posts
30,062
Location
In a house
Exactly, i was actually expecting a bit of a diff over the 640mb, but at lwoere resolutions the 320mb is faster, and as you can see right up to 16x12 these cards are fantastic, 1280x1024 here so absolutely cracking, and only £199, what a ******* price. :cool:

That Anandtech review only shows from 1600x1200 onwards. :confused:
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
12 May 2005
Posts
12,631
I am thinking that at the resolution I play at (1680x1050) I should be fine. I dont usually play with high levels of AA/AF anyways.

If I do find it begin to chug in several months time, I will sell it and buy the 8900 refresh when they become cheaper.
 
Associate
Joined
28 Mar 2006
Posts
2,172
Location
Winsford, Cheshire
Had a quick flick through that review, seems very indepth and a good review. Yes this card eats through most games up to 1600x1200 which is a great res to be capable of handling. As mentioned it says when DX10 titles then it may struggle to cope with the bigger demands these games may pose. This for me means I will hold out to see ATI's offering, still don't get me wrong this card for £199 is an amazing deal.
 
Soldato
Joined
28 Oct 2005
Posts
9,147
Location
Scotland
Dark_Angel said:
I am thinking that at the resolution I play at (1680x1050) I should be fine. I dont usually play with high levels of AA/AF anyways.

If I do find it begin to chug in several months time, I will sell it and buy the 8900 refresh when they become cheaper.

YEah u will be, as many reviews show oevr 1600x1200 u will have problems ;)

Im gonna have to get a hold of quake 4 but i bet at 1280x1024 it rans just fine on ultra quality ;)
 
Caporegime
OP
Joined
8 Jul 2003
Posts
30,062
Location
In a house
I can't see the fuss about Dx10 titles, i bought my card for the awesome Dx9 performance, i dont care about Dx10 as theres nothing out using it, and there wont be for ages yet, and im not even going to look at Vista anyway for about a year yet, when its had some SP's, bugs ironed out, and has better driver support, i don't see why everyones getting Vista yet as they still having to use XP, what the hell is the point in that. :D
 
Last edited:
Soldato
Joined
28 Oct 2005
Posts
9,147
Location
Scotland
LoadsaMoney said:
I can't see the fuss about Dx10 titles, i bought my card for the awesome Dx9 performance, i dont care about Dx10 as theres nothing out using it, and there wont be for ages yet, and im not even going to look at Vista anyway for about a year yet, when its had some SP's, bugs ironed out, and has better driver support. :)

Happy Days My Man! Clearly the 8800GTS 320MB pioneers are us! :D
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
3,127
Location
Leicester
LoadsaMoney said:
I can't see the fuss about Dx10 titles, i bought my card for the awesome Dx9 performance, i dont care about Dx10 as theres nothing out using it, and there wont be for ages yet, and im not even going to look at Vista anyway for about a year yet, when its had some SP's, bugs ironed out, and has better driver support. :)

I'm in agreement here. For current games this card is a beauty. But I have already completed most current games on my trusty old 7600 GT so I want to prepare for DX10 a bit. :)
 
Caporegime
OP
Joined
8 Jul 2003
Posts
30,062
Location
In a house
yup, you cant even use Dx10 yet on the 8 series as they aint got any drivers out for it yet anyway, and even when they do eventually get vista drivers out, i bet its gona take a good few revisions to get good performance out of em, i bet loads of stuff still wont work, and you get problems galore for a while, look at the Offical 7.1's by ATi. :D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom