Guys weekend away : Stockholm

Associate
Will do some research on Berlin tonight.

Any thoughts on where to stay and where to go?

I was extremely drunk most of the time but I stayed in a hotel near to the zoologischer garten which I didn’t spend any time around. Got cabs across town each day to mates staying in a hostel near brandenburg gate. Quite nice around there. Nightlife wise a vaguely remember being around alexanderplatz and possibly oruiengurg (both central). I remember a great Irish pub called Oscar Wilde Irish bar for paddies day and on some weird pub crawl that started in a really weird dive bar and ended up in some odd nightclub called matrix.

Associate
Sweden is a dull, dull country full of dull people whose only release from their terminal dullness was to drink a lot, that
is until their government swiftly sealed up that avenue of joviality by upping the price of alcohol to an alarming degree.
This is what will happen in Scotland if the SNP achieve independence.

Go to Germany, they know how to have fun [ and start global conflicts ].

Really?

I'm curious on how long you stayed there to come up with that reply of yours?

Man of Honour
It's funny, when I worked for a few months in the Nordics, the Swedes thought the Danes were boring pussies, and the Danes thought the Swedes were loud and obnoxious.

I had a good time in Sweden, I was in Helsingborg for a few weeks. Not cheap, and not really a pissup location - but there were plenty of pubs to keep us occupied. Or you can always do "Tura" which is sitting on a ferry all day getting drunk.

Soldato
OP
To be honest, I'm Swedish and Swedish people can be really dull and drawn back until they have been drinking...

It's funny, when I worked for a few months in the Nordics, the Swedes thought the Danes were boring pussies, and the Danes thought the Swedes were loud and obnoxious.

I had a good time in Sweden, I was in Helsingborg for a few weeks. Not cheap, and not really a pissup location - but there were plenty of pubs to keep us occupied. Or you can always do "Tura" which is sitting on a ferry all day getting drunk.

Any thoughts on what area to stay in?

Soldato
Been there done that.

Going to stick with Sweden.

Prague, Munich, Berlin or even somewhere like Malaga are honestly much better lads weekend alternatives unless you aren't really looking for a drinking weekend. Prague in particular really surprised me, but Munich is great too don't worry about not being there for Oktoberfest

If you absolutely must go to Sweden, Malmö might even be a better option. Stockholm is a nice place to mull around for a weekend but staying centrally will be a fortune as will drinking anything other than the 2% local beer when you're out.

Soldato
Check out old town, specifically the viking bar down there. Tis amazing... Heres a link:

http://aifur.se/en-GB/aifur-en/

Also, be fully prepared for very strict entry into clubs, it's not uncommon for people to be gathered around the door and the doormen selecting who they want in based on current people inside. It's not a queue system, more of a 'who looks hip and who doesn't' situation. That and most clubs/bars will be empty until after 11pm.

I'd also suggest other locations for a weekend pissup, Dublin is absolutely awesome fun for a bunch of drinks and activities, if you don't mind a day out, there is a shooting range which has clay and target shooting with a falconry right next to it, they serve alcohol (responsibly obviously) so after some shooting, you can grab a couple of beers and handle some awesome falcons and they put on a show. Small group so normally only about 5-10 people on the falconry thing, I'll try and dig a link out from when I went. Also, the bar buskers is a great laugh in Dublin if you don't fancy huge clubs.

Amsterdam obviously...

Barcelona is also a great shout, you can get a 4 bed villa to rent down in Cabrils for pennies and it's a short train ride into Barcelona.

This might not be everyones first thought, but Munich has a great nightlife! Hostels surrounding the park that hosts Oktoberfest are super cheap out of season and also have tonnes of groups there for the same thing so it's easy to make friends and get large groups together for nights out which is what Munich is all about.

If you're looking for more of an adventure style weekend rather than drinking with activities to do, Copenhagen is brilliant, with the Calsberg tour, theme park opposite the main train station, some great places to drink but not many clubs.

Same can be said for Ghent in Belguim, not many clubs, but some awesome sit down bars and pubs with gorgeous views.

Oh! Almost forgot one of my favorite little weekend getaways when going solo or with only a couple of mates, Genoa in Italy has a great nightlife, although not sure on the winter side. There's a dock club where it's half on a dock/peir (private to the club) and half on land which is always busy (in the summer) and in the nooks and crannies of the town it's very hip with modern clubs and bars. And during the day, if you go in the summer, get a 20 min drive east along the coast to just west of Nervi, get ice cream at Gelateria Gaggero, amazing ice cream! There's also a bar on the ocean front a stones throw from the ice cream shop as well.

The worlds your oyster really! PM me if you have any questions on the above or want more, I've been around a bit lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
How many of you would be going and do you need hotel or will hostels be alright as well?

Also note, going for a air bnb can be risky with large groups, the owners will often put down 4 beds, when in actual fact it's often a double bed and 2 sofa beds. Always try to confirm via pictures that it is indeed 4 separate beds.

Soldato
OP
So the weekend in Stockholm came to and end on Monday morning.

Tips for those wanting to go -

• Take cash - Although most (if not all) places accept card payments. There were a handful of places (the less classy bars/clubs) that req'd us to sign receipts; as a sign of approval... No pin required. I decided to cancel my card following our final night out. Just to be on the safe side.
  • If you're heading out there for nights out. Dont even bother going out on a Sunday night... The place is like a ghost town with only a handful of places open.
  • Get your name on to guest lists. Security will not hesitate to turn you away.
  • We found a great restaurant / bar / club called Yellow. Worth a visit... The food and drink was amazing.
  • Make sure you get out of the modern parts of Stockholm to check out areas like Gamla Stan.
Would I go again...... I think I'd go at least one more time. Next time in the summer.

One other thing.... The women there :eek:....................... Stunning!

Soldato
One other thing.... The women there :eek:....................... Stunning!

Yeah...I noticed that when I went in December. Joined 2nd with Serbian women in my books. Because unlike many women here in the UK, over there they are a size 10 or below without even trying.

Back
Top Bottom