Gym Membership Contract

Associate
Just want opinions here i joined a gym in July of last year signed up for a period of 12 months and joined at the end of my first visit. Which at the time it appeared to be a nice gym with it not being very busy either although it was a saturday afternoon.

The next time i went i saw it for what it really was full of arrogant steroid users (and no not exaggerating). I didnt think to cancel at that time as their usually is a seven day cooling period isnt there? but thought id stick it out for a while after a couple months i decided to join virgin active as well at a higher cost which is has none of these problems and i am very happy to be a part of.

Fast forward to Feburary i cancelled the standing order just because of how disappointed i was and obviously not using the club. As a result i have received numerous calls and texts of which i have not replied to any and from the end of last week and today a letter stating:

'Your account not only remains in arrears, but the balance of the minimum term in now also due, we now reserve the right to instruct our solicitor to issue recovery action against yourself, the consequences of this could be severe. However if you pay 195 within 7 days including a discount for early payment the action will no longer be necessary and you can use the facilites for the balance of the minimum term of the aggrement'

Edit: all that is owed is 150 up until the end of the contract as well.. where did they get 195 from?

After doing a brief bit of research i found this: http://www.debtwizard.com/debt-help/guides-and-advice/350-gym-membership-fees so would you give in and pay up or see it out?

Last edited:
Soldato
If it was me I'd just carry on using it untill July and then cancel. Even if you aren't happy with it, it's only a few weeks and most likely better than nothing.

Associate
Did you let the gym staff know of your situation? It perhaps would have been easier to let someone know formally, not just bury your head - I know how frustrating this can be as a gym user who has had his fair share of run-ins with 'roid-type guys. Best get in contact with them ASAP or go to Citizens Advice perhaps...(?)

Soldato
The next time i went i saw it for what it really was full of arrogant steroid users (and no not exaggerating).

This is a really dumb reason to leave a gym.

People who use steroids in gyms are generally the top tier lifters, their advice and mentorship would help your gains more than most.

Maybe you should have thought about reading the contract you were in before just joining another gym, and then ignoring all their letters letting you know you had breached their contract?

Soldato
You signed a contract, cancelled payment, ignored all contact and haven't once told them how disappointed you are with the service? Even a phone call to them might find out why you owe £195 and not £150.

Seems much of you own doing from what I can see.

Associate
Did you let the gym staff know of your situation? It perhaps would have been easier to let someone know formally, not just bury your head - I know how frustrating this can be as a gym user who has had his fair share of run-ins with 'roid-type guys. Best get in contact with them ASAP or go to Citizens Advice perhaps...(?)

Why on earth would you have any cause to have run in with someone at the gym? I've used plenty of gyms from hotel to strongman and I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone I didn't know there or been bothered by them either.

Op changed his mind about that gym, fancying somewhere different, doesn't respect the contract he signed and is now making excuses.

If they started making changes I bet you'd be citing the contract then.

Associate
What time period was there between your first "nice" visit and your second visit when you decided it wasn't for you?

Was there any cooling off period advised either verbally or in the contract and if so were you within this time period when you made your second visit?

If not and you didn't make staff aware of your unhappiness I would imagine they'll have you bang to rights. Depending on course how iron clad their contract is, have you not a solicitor friend who can look at the T&C's and find a loophole?

Associate
As much as I dislike these gym contracts, I can't help thinking you are in the wrong on this one. You signed up to a 12 month contract, you can't just decide to stop paying and not expect it to catch up with you.

The extra money is probably some late payment charges or admin charges or something, if you go in and pay in person you may be able to get them to waive those.

aln

aln

Associate
I dislike the idea of contracts in public facing services, they should be forced to compete in quality of service, not have a lock in period, but theres pretty much nothing to be done. Pay them, move on.

Associate
OP
Why on earth would you have any cause to have run in with someone at the gym? I've used plenty of gyms from hotel to strongman and I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone I didn't know there or been bothered by them either.

Op changed his mind about that gym, fancying somewhere different, doesn't respect the contract he signed and is now making excuses.

If they started making changes I bet you'd be citing the contract then.

As a matter of fact before this i was member of david lloyd for approximately 7 years but decided to end it because of how high the monthly fees were over 80£ a month..

But from the responses here i think i will just cut my loses and go down tomorrow and pay upront for the remainder of the contract...

Capodecina
Soldato
But from the responses here i think i will just cut my loses and go down tomorrow and pay upront for the remainder of the contract...

That's what you have to do. Whether you like it or not you tied yourself in. My gym has no contract and since then I wouldn't join a gym that has one, but I'm totally with you on other users putting you off.

Associate
@King85 ever had guys come up to you while you are working out and tell you that it is their kit? We all pay membership at my local, and some of the guys are so arrogant that they expect you to move over as soon as they arrive. The 'roid comment perhaps isnt the most accurate, its more about the vain self-obbessed types(that just happen to be ****in massive as well!) - but I have had to deal with lots of jerks in the past. I just suck up and move on... :)

Soldato
I dislike the idea of contracts in public facing services, they should be forced to compete in quality of service, not have a lock in period, but theres pretty much nothing to be done. Pay them, move on.

Or join Pure Gym. That's what I did. £16.99 per month. Never goes up (once you join) and no contract.:cool: I think it's £18.99 for people joining now

Associate
Or join Pure Gym. That's what I did. £16.99 per month. Never goes up (once you join) and no contract.:cool: I think it's £18.99 for people joining now

thegymgroup.com and easygym offer the same thing and im sure there's other variations too. I used puregym in Birmingham and it was brilliant, cheap, had everything and I just cancelled the dd when I wanted to leave.

Soldato
@King85 ever had guys come up to you while you are working out and tell you that it is their kit? We all pay membership at my local, and some of the guys are so arrogant that they expect you to move over as soon as they arrive. The 'roid comment perhaps isnt the most accurate, its more about the vain self-obbessed types(that just happen to be ****in massive as well!) - but I have had to deal with lots of jerks in the past. I just suck up and move on... :)

Aye i had this guy who said to me I'm using that bench, i said no your not your doing legs, so do one.

Can these gyms actually enforce payment, i have done my 12 months contract with lifestyle and i will just cancel my DD.

Associate

No I can't say I have, nor have I seen anyone else have to deal with that. I did see it happen in the movie Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story though.

aln

aln

Associate

Location of the gym matters, nearest to me is in Edinburgh, which is a bit far just for a gym. Also most gyms are don't tell you their terms until you walk in and ask. They're basically crap. :p

Back
Top Bottom