Gym reps?

Associate
While i was at the gym today i noticed a few people was starting with the highest weight they could do then doing 10x1 sets then going to a lower weight and doing again and then again untill they had done four sets.

Is this what you are supposed to do to gain muscle quicker or just something some people do?

Also what is the best way to do your reps e.g 3x10 at your comfortable weight then on the fourth push the weight up or just 4x10 sets at the same weight?

thanks

Soldato
I gradually increase in weight on each set, I think starting cold on the highest weight is dangerous, could easily tear a muscle. Everyone has their own way of training though, just got to do what works best for each person.

Soldato
I start medium (heavy causes me to injure myself) then move on to heavy to give my muscles a good work out, then finish off with light to almost warm down my muscles to avoid stiffness. Sometimes I do finish on medium though.

Soldato
Lower reps are best, 6 is fine for strength, 8 for hypertrophy, and any higher for endurance. Never found any proof that you have to do 3 sets, you can always do less.

Soldato
In my eperience it totally depends on the muscle group you're working as for what the best rep range to use is. Aswell as goals and also personal muscle fibre types of course, we're all different ;)

Best example I can think of for a difference in rep range for same goal is calf raises and deadlifts. I never go over 5 reps when deadlifting as I find my form suffers even with low intensity and from asking on other forums, I've found this to be the case with most other gym goers too.
Calf raises on the other hand I've found to be dangerous using a low rep range simply because of the sheer amount of weight that needs to be used for this immensly strong muscle group. For me this casues problems with the achilles tendons. I find these respond well going as high as 21-25 reps or even higher.

As a general rule I'd say hypertrophy rep range is anywhere between 15reps - 5reps, even as low as 4 reps if you're experienced enough to perform the rep perfectly and engage the working muscles. Below that and it's purely strength gains you'll be getting.

I try and keep total reps on a muscle between 30-20 working reps (so not including warmups) this can be worked anyway you like, so:

15reps x2 sets = 30 reps
12reps x2 sets = 24 reps
10reps x2 or 3sets = 20 or 30 reps
8reps x3 sets = 24 reps
6reps x4 sets = 24 reps
5reps x4 or 5sets = 20 or 25 reps
4reps x6 sets = 24 reps

Associate
OP
Thanks for your advice,

So today i tried Benchpress as i have not done it for a few weeks, i started off low then went high by doing this;

10x45KG then went on to do my previouse personal best which is 10x50KG but i found this quite easy so i did 10x55KG which was a new PB for me then i did 8x60KG a new record :D

I know this is nothing compared to some of you but its my little personal best and i am pround of it :D

I think this order helped me by warming up properly and not using all my energy to start off with.

Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom