Gym trainers and general advice

Soldato
My first foray into the subforum so be gentle :)

I started a little while ago trying to get myself motivated to do some exercise

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17986746

Since then, I've joined a gym and been going about 3 times a week on average. I decided from the start that I was going to avoid measuring myself to any great extent as when I've done this before, I find its very easy to lose motivation when something goes the other way. Instead, I've been keeping the motivation up based on other things, like the way I feel and compliments from friends etc - all good so far. I'm 5'10 and probably about 15 stone, mostly beer belly and this is what I want to get rid of :)

Firstly, since I've been going to the gym I've been wearing some trainers that I believe are meant for outdoor/cross country running (Adidas climacool IIRC). I find the soles a bit hard and I often end up with sore legs quite quickly on the treadmill - some friends have suggested this may be down to the shoes. So what would be ideal trainers for the gym, what should I look for?

Secondly, was just after general opinions on what I've been doing and after ideas of other things I can do to speed up loosing the beer belly! As I said, its about 3 times a week in the gym although I'm trying to go more often now. My programme was put together by a personal trainer which consists of:

-10 minutes treadmill on "interval" program, which consists of 30s jogging (about 8.5kph) on a level and 30s running (about 12kph) on a 5% incline.
-1000m on the rower, resistance 9 (out of 10) - 200m at a medium pace and 100m at a fast pace
-10 mins on the cross trainer
- Various weights, ab exercises etc

I've recently cutmy diet right back, I've cut out all sugary snacks, fatty foods etc. Lunch is normally a sandwhich or salad and I'm having a lighter dinner. My only downfalls in that area are an indian takeaway (curry and rice) every tuesday and normally a few beers at the weekend (nothing too heavy).

So is there anything else I can do to complement/improve what I'm already doing? I was thinking about swimming after the gym but not sure if I'd have the energy! Are any dietary supplements worth considering?

Ta all..

Soldato
Sound a bit like me mate (height/~weight).

I guess it depends what you want to get out of the gym, i.e. general fitness, tone up, bulk up etc.

Seems you're doing a good level of cardio which is key for weight loss and general fitness.

Different things work for different people but I have found free weights work really well for me. Took me a while to figure out what to do but this site really helped me out. Good thing with free weights is you don't have to lift masses to make a difference and you don't need someone to spot you.

As for trainers I've always found Asics, Nike and Puma very good. Just get a good running shoe that's light and supportive. Your local sports shop should be able to suggest something. When I did a lot of cardio I used to wear sports socks and football socks which gave a lot of cushioning.

As for food - good advice here

Soldato
OP
I'm trying to slim down and tone up, but mainly slim down. I'm already quite strong - I'm sure there's a six pack under the belly somewhere :D

Soldato
I'd suggesting cutting out the curry and beers to begin with. It's only litte, but every little helps. No point shooting yourself in the foot.

Secondly, I would recommend if it's possible to split your (I assume) 3 meals a day, into 6. Half portions. By doing this you keep your body constantly digesting food and speed your metabolism up and keep it going.

Thirdly, I've read on these boards that performing CV exercise after weights works well for fat loss as you have already depleted glycogen stores which results in your body resulting to burning fat quicker/easier.

Effort in = Results out :)

My 2 cents.

Soldato
OP
I'm cutting down on the beer, I dont know if I can cope with cutting everything out though, I need to indulge now and again. Might cut them down to every other week or something though. I've been working so incredibly hard the past few months, really feeling the difference so its nice to have a bit of a reward.

On that note, what alcoholic drinks are good? I've been trying to order JD&Diet coke or a single malt when I've been out, but my friends keep ordering me beer out of habbit :)

Good idea about the meals, will try and give that a go!

I hadn't heard that about doing CV after weights, I've always just started with the CV first (because its on the top of the program card!) but will try reversing it and see how I get on. When I've done it before for some reason (machines being full so going back to them later), I've always found it harder work so there's probably something in it!

Soldato
Rewards are good. And it's okay to have a cheat meal every now and then. Sometimes it can be even used as a scape goat for a lack of progress which isn't down to anything but time.

Everyother week would be good. You'll enjoy it more :)

Have a search for 'glycogen' in this sub-forum see what you can find. It might shed some light!

I'd really recommend splitting your meals. It stops you getting hungry and over eating and fufils the psycological aspect of hunger as you've eaten frequently.

Drink lots and lots of water too if you aren't already. The key to shifting water weight apparently ,which is what most of you 'beer bump' will be, is to drink lots or so I read!

Soldato
I'm cutting down on the beer, I dont know if I can cope with cutting everything out though, I need to indulge now and again. Might cut them down to every other week or something though. I've been working so incredibly hard the past few months, really feeling the difference so its nice to have a bit of a reward.

On that note, what alcoholic drinks are good? I've been trying to order JD&Diet coke or a single malt when I've been out, but my friends keep ordering me beer out of habbit :)

I'm pretty sure smirnoff vodka has half the calories in it than other vodka, so vodka and diet coke is prob. a better bet.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure smirnoff vodka has half the calories in it than other vodka, so vodka and diet coke is prob. a better bet.

I think spirits are much better than a pint in this aspect. Plus it'll get you ****** quicker! I remember hearing martini was really bad calorie wise? or perhaps it was gin, I'm not too sure. A quick google should return enough answers.

Soldato
OP
Rewards are good. And it's okay to have a cheat meal every now and then. Sometimes it can be even used as a scape goat for a lack of progress which isn't down to anything but time.

Everyother week would be good. You'll enjoy it more :)

Have a search for 'glycogen' in this sub-forum see what you can find. It might shed some light!

I'd really recommend splitting your meals. It stops you getting hungry and over eating and fufils the psycological aspect of hunger as you've eaten frequently.

Drink lots and lots of water too if you aren't already. The key to shifting water weight apparently ,which is what most of you 'beer bump' will be, is to drink lots or so I read!

I do it every tuesday because thats when I meet up with a friend - I'll resort to cooking something myself every other week :)

Splitting meals sounds logical, will have a think about how I can work it into my day.

The problem drinking lots of water is I pee a lot at the best of times, if I drink lots of water I'll never get any rest!

Soldato
I do it every tuesday because thats when I meet up with a friend - I'll resort to cooking something myself every other week :)

Splitting meals sounds logical, will have a think about how I can work it into my day.

The problem drinking lots of water is I pee a lot at the best of times, if I drink lots of water I'll never get any rest!

Who says you have to have curry? :) Lots of just as healthy and tastier options available!

Even if you just eat half, then wait half an hour and eat the other it's a start. Normally I eat every 2/3 hours. But I've been temping doing data entry so it's been easy.

Even when at uni I still manage this. Eat when you gotta eat! even if you have to go and eat in the toilets because of work rules, just say you were curling one out.

I normally go like a racehorse! Kinda get used to it!

Low carb diets will be something to consider when you begin to hit a plateau. But for now I think you're armed with everything you need to know! :p

Edit: on that note, carbs are most easily stored as fats, which is partially why low carb diets work, but try not to eat any carbs in the evening if it can be helped. Not too much bread either in general, stick to wholemeal wherever you can, bread, rice, pasta etc

Soldato
OP
The curry came about through convenience - grabbing a quick takeaway is really easy when you're with a friend. There's no healthy takeaways that I'm aware of :)

I've already started to replace bread and things with wholegrain/wholemeal - have to admit it tastes a bit like cardboard but I'll stick with it!

A few times recently I've come home from work about 5~6 and had a bowl of cereal (weetabix/sugar free musli) or some toast, then go to the gym about an hour later. I've got home about 8 and not been hungry so either not eaten anything or just had a yogurt or something else small. Part of me thinks this is good because in calorie terms I'm not taking in much, but part of me thinks its cant be ideal!

Thanks for the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom