H440 Case Temps - My 2p

Associate
OP
Did you still have the 3x 120mm fans on the front? Maybe its just the quantity of air these Nocuas Noctua NF-A15 shift?

Acoustical Noise - 19.2 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with L.N.A. - 13.8 dB(A)
Static Pressure - 1.51 mm H2O
Static Pressure with L.N.A. - 0.89 mm H2O

Associate
Aye that was probably it.

I'm surprised that there was no noticable difference having the Noctuas up front on their own, though maybe your GPUs kick out too much hot air to make a difference. In your case, wouldnt you be better using the spare fan as an extra exaust, to try and shift some of the hot air? I have a blower style GPU so it works better for me having cold air blown directly at it

Associate
Yeah thats me. Front two 140mm on one header, Top two on another header, and the exaust is on its own header (mainly because i havent bought another spillter yet)

So you're using none of the stock fans that came with the h440 right? Is that my only choice in terms of getting my case fans to run at lower rpms/quieter?

Associate
So you're using none of the stock fans that came with the h440 right? Is that my only choice in terms of getting my case fans to run at lower rpms/quieter?

At this moment in time, i'm not using anything =P, I corrupted my BIOS (rookie mistake) and i'm waiting on the RMA to finish. Got an email today saying it was completed, but no delivery details as of yet. Hopefully will get it tomorrow though.

I currently have x2 TY147s in the front which run at 50% - 100% depending on CPU, System or GPU temp, and i use the stock x3 at the top, which dont come on until CPU > 55C, SYS > 40C or GPU > 65C, to reduce noise. I've bought another TY147 to put in the front, but it arrived after i sent my motherboard away for replacement, so i havent tested yet.

I have the same motherboard as you! MSI Z87 G45 Gaming :)

Okdokey. The easiest way for us to control the fans, is to use splitter cables and control it using BIOS. This cable will allow you to plug all 3 120mm fans into the one header, and control it using bios. Our motherboard can control 3 pin fans as well as PWM fans, which is pretty cool.

The downside to this is that they only speed up when the CPU gets hot, so if you've got a good cooler they wont really speed up unless you have an agressive fan curve, in which case they'll be speeding up all the time.

In my case, it was pretty useless as my CPU sits around 40-60C when gaming, but my GPU was getting too hot as not enough air was getting into the case.

The harder way of controlling the fan speed, is to use something like Speedfan. Its a pain in the arse to get set up correctly, but once you get it figured out its amazing. It can also wind fans down to 0rpm. The dangers of this are that you're relying on software to control the fans, and you could damage your compontents if you make a mistake and set the fans to stay at a certain speed and forget to put it back on ( I.e, i left my GPU fan at 50% and forgot to put it back onto automatic control, so when i was gaming it went up to 75C before i noticed and wondered wth it had got so hot. )

If you want i can do you a guide with pictures and stuff (once i get my mobo back, obv) but the most important thing is getting the fans onto the mobo headers, rather than the built in fan hub, unless you get one of those 3pin female to female fan cables from the states.

Associate
At this moment in time, i'm not using anything =P, I corrupted my BIOS (rookie mistake) and i'm waiting on the RMA to finish. Got an email today saying it was completed, but no delivery details as of yet. Hopefully will get it tomorrow though.

I currently have x2 TY147s in the front which run at 50% - 100% depending on CPU, System or GPU temp, and i use the stock x3 at the top, which dont come on until CPU > 55C, SYS > 40C or GPU > 65C, to reduce noise. I've bought another TY147 to put in the front, but it arrived after i sent my motherboard away for replacement, so i havent tested yet.

Okdokey. The easiest way for us to control the fans, is to use splitter cables and control it using BIOS. This cable will allow you to plug all 3 120mm fans into the one header, and control it using bios. Our motherboard can control 3 pin fans as well as PWM fans, which is pretty cool.

The downside to this is that they only speed up when the CPU gets hot, so if you've got a good cooler they wont really speed up unless you have an agressive fan curve, in which case they'll be speeding up all the time.

In my case, it was pretty useless as my CPU sits around 40-60C when gaming, but my GPU was getting too hot as not enough air was getting into the case.

The harder way of controlling the fan speed, is to use something like Speedfan. Its a pain in the arse to get set up correctly, but once you get it figured out its amazing. It can also wind fans down to 0rpm. The dangers of this are that you're relying on software to control the fans, and you could damage your compontents if you make a mistake and set the fans to stay at a certain speed and forget to put it back on ( I.e, i left my GPU fan at 50% and forgot to put it back onto automatic control, so when i was gaming it went up to 75C before i noticed and wondered wth it had got so hot. )

If you want i can do you a guide with pictures and stuff (once i get my mobo back, obv) but the most important thing is getting the fans onto the mobo headers, rather than the built in fan hub, unless you get one of those 3pin female to female fan cables from the states.

First off, thank you SO much for taking the time to write a detailed reply, means a lot! :)

I just recently got hold of an Akasa 3-pin PWM fan splitter - though when I received it I noticed it had 4-pin fan inputs, the idea is to plug up to 3 fans into it including the CPU fan, then attach a molex and plug the last part into the motherboard..needless to say I realised after that the fans are not PWM (I think?) and therefore doing this in essence actually did nothing.

I haven't tried not plugging the molex into it though, may try that in a minute.

My CPU is cooled by a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme cooler, 4 years going strong!

It's controlled by a modified version of the Zalman Fanmate controller, so the only thing it needs the motherboard for is power.

I'll give the cable I have a try without the molex attached and see if it'll power up at all, but if not then the cable you linked looks good for the job!

Thanks again ^__^

Associate
Someone on reddit did a bit of digging and found out that not all 4 pin fan headers are PWM. The 3 sys fan headers we have actually use voltage control rather than true PWM. So they reduce the voltage rather than the pulse signal. I had a thought, if you're only using the 4 fans that came with the case, you could plug each 120mm fan into a single header and plug the 140mm into the hub. The 140mm is quieter at 100% and you could then control the 120mm fans individually?

As for the splitter + molex adapter. I *think* they work by using the power wire from the molex to power the fans, and the PWM signal from the motherboard to control the speed. But the nzxt fans dont have a pwm wire, so it wont work. You'd need to buy pwm fans instead.

Associate
A wee update. I almost bought the phanteks 140mm cooler, but i was planning on moving the stock fans into the front, and buying another TY 147 to use so i'd have 3 fans on the cooler. BUT i ran out of money, so decided to keep my cooler as is at the moment. So i have all these fans, but nothing to do with them. So i've ghetto rigged them into the case!

oM0wYmO.jpg
R5Z8mCp.jpg

Associate
well i am modding the front panel of this case and can i just say, the metal is extremely tough! i have pictures in my build log (under project logs) feel free to have a look. should run damned cold once i am finished with it xD

Associate
My temps are fine with a custom WC set up.

i5 [email protected], 1 x R9 290@1130/1375 Stable OC, Approximate temps during heaven are 65c GPU and 58c on the CPU. Not done much testing at stock clocks tho.

WC set up is a 240 rad in the front and 360 up top.

Soldato
someone should make a shroud with a 120mm fan to blow gpu air out of the removed pcie slots below the gpu...would only work on single gpu systems of course.

Associate
For the guys who have this case, how `quiet` is it? i`m looking at this or the Fractal
R4 for a Daw which is in my living room so i`d be looking for it to be quiet probably

partnered with an h100i.
It`s a really smart looking case but i think the look is spoiled hugely by taking off the

front for better temps, and is it really necessary? (ok i know summer is here).
I think they missed a trick in design.If they`d had the front cover on a hinge like the R4 then they could have left at least one

slot in for a burner or a proper fan controller which they market themselves.
The only other thing putting me off is how to control the speeds of the fans to get noise down.I guess it`s either:
Buy speed limited fans, make sure new motherboard has lots of pwm headers or buy another controller and shove it somewhere inside..hmm.

Associate
For the guys who have this case, how `quiet` is it? i`m looking at this or the Fractal
R4 for a Daw which is in my living room so i`d be looking for it to be quiet probably

partnered with an h100i.
It`s a really smart looking case but i think the look is spoiled hugely by taking off the

front for better temps, and is it really necessary? (ok i know summer is here).
I think they missed a trick in design.If they`d had the front cover on a hinge like the R4 then they could have left at least one

slot in for a burner or a proper fan controller which they market themselves.
The only other thing putting me off is how to control the speeds of the fans to get noise down.I guess it`s either:
Buy speed limited fans, make sure new motherboard has lots of pwm headers or buy another controller and shove it somewhere inside..hmm.

Can't comment on the R4, but you definitely want to control or replace the front 3 fans that come with it. I have 2 of them unplugged as they generate too much vibration and air resistance noise against the intake filter :)

Back
Top Bottom