Had Germany won WWII what would the UK be like?

Soldato
So we would be better off technologically without all the contributions Eastern European and Jewish scientists / engineers have given us since the 40's?

Sport would certainly be really pushing the boundaries without all those 'inferior' Africans!

The USA ran a large eugenics program for a while until it got a bad reputation, that's not what it's about.

Man of Honour
How anything can be mentioned as 'better' under Nazi rule is beyond me.

A merely speculation that technology would be superior at the small cost of mass-genocide, hate of anyone not fitting the 'cookie-cutter', brainwashing and a lack of freedom. Mmm, I'll take two, please.

And before anyone makes the obvious comment that we have no freedom and are brainwashed by the media anyway, to make that comparison with Nazi rule, you would have to be an idiot.

Soldato
I thought that was a myth, i thought the german subs and boats were far more capable than the Uk equivilants.

Or did the Uk just totally out number the germans?

The British navy was the only real area that the British out-matched the Germans.

But really, naval power was not relevant to the success of operation Sealion (the invation of Britiain). What it depended on was air superiority.

The Nazis were so close to achieving air superiority in late 1940, having targetted British airfields for months. But, a small German bomber force accidentally dropped their bombloads on London, and the British took it as an opportunity to bomb Berlin in 'retaliation'. This angered Hitler, and from this point onwards he focussed on destroying British cities (something he had previously tried to avoid). The bombing of our cities cost thousands of lives, but saved fighter command (and with it our entire country) from destruction.

For me, the decision to focus on British cities, rather than finishing off fighter command, is where the Nazis lost the war. If they had continued bombing the airfields, they would have invaded Britain in early 1941, and delayed the invasion of Russia until spring 1942. At this point, and with only one front in the war, the Nazis would have been unstoppable, and would have crushed the Russians. From here it would have been a "cold war" between the US and the Nazis, with whoever developed atomic weapons first having the upper hand. You can bet your life that the Nazis would not have hesitated to use them, if they had developed them first.

Soldato
It's a while since i read William Shirer's 'Rise and Fall of the Third Reich', but i remember reading a passage concerning Operation Seelion, and, if it had succeeded, the male population of Britain would have been deported to mainland europe as slave labour.

Nice people, the Nazis.

Really? I'm not so sure, like mattheman said Hitler had great respect for us. The way we ran our country and morals which it was built upon.

Soldato
The British navy was the only real area that the British out-matched the Germans.

But really, naval power was not relevant to the success of operation Sealion (the invation of Britiain). What it depended on was air superiority.

The Nazis were so close to achieving air superiority in late 1940, having targetted British airfields for months. But, a small German bomber force accidentally dropped their bombloads on London, and the British took it as an opportunity to bomb Berlin in 'retaliation'. This angered Hitler, and from this point onwards he focussed on destroying British cities (something he had previously tried to avoid). The bombing of our cities cost thousands of lives, but saved fighter command (and with it our entire country) from destruction.

For me, the decision to focus on British cities, rather than finishing off fighter command, is where the Nazis lost the war. If they had continued bombing the airfields, they would have invaded Britain in early 1941, and delayed the invasion of Russia until spring 1942. At this point, and with only one front in the war, the Nazis would have been unstoppable, and would have crushed the Russians. From here it would have been a "cold war" between the US and the Nazis, with whoever developed atomic weapons first having the upper hand. You can bet your life that the Nazis would not have hesitated to use them, if they had developed them first.

Cool, i think thats what i had heard before but could'nt remember all of it.

Like said earlier, the germans already had Werner Heisenberg. The atomic war would have been theres surely? Its mad to think of what would have happened had we lost Britain, like you said a Cold war would have started.

You look at it now and i think its bl**dy lucky they didnt win the war. Europe and America would have been one huge atomic bombing ground!!

Soldato
Really? I'm not so sure, like mattheman said Hitler had great respect for us. The way we ran our country and morals which it was built upon.

This is true. But it was also meaningless.

All it would mean is that we would be considered viable members of the Nazi super-race. We would still be completely subservient to the Nazi ideal. Any idea that this would have earned us any amount of freedom of expression or free will is complete fantasty. We would have been subservient to the Nazi ideal and the members of the Nazi party, in exactly the same way that German citizens were during the late 1930s and early 1940s (only more so due to the lack of external resistance).

edit - you're right though, I've never come across any evidence that Hitler would have deported the male British population, or anything of the sort. He had great plans for the British people after the war. Anyway, I'm not a real historian - WWII-era history is just a hobby of mine.

Last edited:
Associate

I've just had a read through of Shirer's book, and it's not pretty.

All able bodied males between 17 and 45 interned and dispatched to the continent.

Six Einsatzkommando based in London,Bristol,Birmingham,Liverpool,Manchester and Edinburgh.

A list of 2300 'prominent' persons to be rounded up immediately.

Not much respect there.

Man of Honour

The US only developed nuclear weapons because of the german scientists they managed to get out of Germany... infact a large amount of the technology we (and the US/World) use today is largely based on the inventions of German scientists.

Permabanned
Most of what I know has been said in here, Germany tried to bomb us into surrender, if it wasn't for the Royal Navy and RAF the Nazis would have tried an invasion. In the Autumn of 1940 the Luftwaffe tried to and came close to obliterating the RAF

The Nazis just walked into Paris, the French thought their front line was impregnable.

Last edited:
Soldato
The US only developed nuclear weapons because of the german scientists they managed to get out of Germany... infact a large amount of the technology we (and the US/World) use today is largely based on the inventions of German scientists.

Yeah - like Wernher von Braun, who was the US's frontman for the space-race, designing the rockets that sent US astronauts into space and to the moon (and later helping with the ICBM project). All this after he was in charge of the nazi V2 rocket program, which "used up" thousands of slave labourers. So many things were 'conveniently' forgotten during the cold war.

I don't know about the US nuclear project being due to German scientists though... certainly Einstein's letter to president Roosevelt had an impact, but he had left Germany many years before the war started.

Soldato

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1527068/Battle-of-Britain-was-won-at-sea.-Discuss.html

Whilst I applaud your contribution to this thread its now almost common knowledge amongst historians that the British Navy so outmatched the Germas that it made any attempt to invade Britain impractical.

The Battle of Britain was a huge credit to the pilots involved (of ALL nations that contributed not least the more experienced / accurate Poles) but the Navy would have demolished any German attempt to invade - because to invade you need men on the ground ONLY achievable with ships.

the idea that air superiority is what really counts for total invasion has no substance :)

little FYI: the real scare story of the German Navy as some of us may know was the uboat - but the UBoat was actually not really Gemran at all - the protoype was designed by the finns and contucted by the swedes i believe.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whats that about then?

his letter saying that E=mc^" could lead to an atomic weapon duye to the huge amounts of energy that could be released by the cracking of an atom and the subsequent conversion of mas to energy.

Also I'm not sure but it might have been him that reworked his equations to discover that there actually was enough fissile material in the world. the Germans where labouring under the wrong idea that it would take much more uranium that was available.

Caporegime
Whilst I applaud your contribution to this thread its now almost common knowledge amongst historians that the British Navy so outmatched the Germas that it made any attempt to invade Britain impractical.

except that an unhindered German Luftwaffe could have decimated the British navy.

without fear of fighter intercepts they could have complete control of the channel with their planes. doesn't matter how big the navy was as long as the Germans could just secure a section of the channel they could invade. ships would easily be torn to pieces by air craft.

Back
Top Bottom