HAF X - Final Build with NZXT cables - Pictures Resized

You've acheived a nice effect with the glow there with those LEDs Muzens. At least I think it is LEDs :). Would have to see it in the dark to really see how bright it is though. Seems nice with some daylight floating about though.

I am a fan of a quite subtle glow effect with the light sources hidden, I feel it looks nicer than in your face bright lights :).

Much easier to get a true red with LEDs to! (rather than cathodes :))

You've acheived a nice effect with the glow there with those LEDs Muzens. At least I think it is LEDs :). Would have to see it in the dark to really see how bright it is though. Seems nice with some daylight floating about though.

I am a fan of a quite subtle glow effect with the light sources hidden, I feel it looks nicer than in your face bright lights :).

Much easier to get a true red with LEDs to! (rather than cathodes :))

Thanks :) I had a long look around these forums for an answer to LED vs Cathode, and the answer seemed to be LED for a true red colour, Cathode for glow effect.

I have 3x 12" red LED strips (bottom, top and side) which have worked quite well. I am a fan of a glow effect too, although quite hard to show in the poor pics :( (the led's are true red) , with 3 of these it has worked really well imo.

dsc01329copy.jpg

dsc01328copy.jpg

dsc01327copy.jpg

dsc01325copy.jpg

Last edited:
surely those small fans are loud as hell?

I thought they would be, but they are <19db.
I have them on low most of the time and can barely hear them. They were just to help with the airflow from the GPU (exhaust from the side) until I upgrade the GPU. I am waiting for the possibly going to get 2x GTX 470 SLI or the mentioned GTX 475's, then use the GPU duct.

Last edited:
i bought 2 sets of AC Ryan TWIN30 CCFL Light, (red set and green set) in 18 Jul, 08. both sets are till working perfectly, which i'm very surprised.

im using the red set in my current build...

Heh... I just came across this thread having already decided on a build with very similar components (HAF-X, H70, SLI GTX480s). I was also considering the Enermax 1050W, but I'm not sure whether to go with that, a Corsair HX1000, or an Antec quattro 1200.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to see how it will all turn out (assuming I put the same effort into cabling which is doubtful!). The GPU-shroud fits better than I was expecting, although motherboard permitting I will try to leave a bit more of a gap between the two cards.

Did you consider fitting an extra 120mm fan into the space in the shroud, to blow straight over the GPUs? I'm considering it, as it should be a good help in funnelling air over the GPUs, and will further improve positive pressure in the case.

Yes there is an extra 120mm fan in the GPU shroud on my build, but you cant see it.
I am very happy with the Enermax 1050W, better than my OCZ (not going there, i have posted what i think of them).

I would have left a gap between the GPUs, but that slot runs at a slower speed...

Duff-Man if you need any info or advice, ask away, be happy to help.

Red

Cheers. Well since you're offering :p

Is it a pain to get to the SATA connectors with the shroud installed along with two GTX480s (it looks like it will be)? If you just remove the shroud does this make things easier? And can the shroud be taken off just by removing those two black thumbscrews?

What fan did you go for in the shrowd duct? Is it fairly quiet?

Finally - I take it there was no realistic way to mount the H50 using the 140mm rear exhaust fan that came with the case?

Thanks :) Your build looks very neat and tidy and has only made me think further that the HAF-X is the case I'm looking for...

Cheers. Well since you're offering :p

Is it a pain to get to the SATA connectors with the shroud installed along with two GTX480s (it looks like it will be)? If you just remove the shroud does this make things easier? And can the shroud be taken off just by removing those two black thumbscrews?

What fan did you go for in the shrowd duct? Is it fairly quiet?

Finally - I take it there was no realistic way to mount the H50 using the 140mm rear exhaust fan that came with the case?

Thanks :) Your build looks very neat and tidy and has only made me think further that the HAF-X is the case I'm looking for...

My SATA connectors run from the hole at the back to the drives.

The power cables for the GFXs, frist took of the Fan Duct, i pulled thru the PSU cable cover, and put back fan duct and lined up cables, the cable tied together to make it look neet.

Fan inside duct is bogg standard Coolmaster 120mm, but i did put a dust filter on it just in case, and had to cut a few of the plastic edges inside the fan duct, if you do this, you will see what i mean. Dont hear the fan at all.

I removed the 140mm rear exhust fan, and used the one that comes with the H50, there are mounting holes for the 120mm fan. Coolermaster throught of everything with this case..

Hope this helps

Red

Nice build, but I have always hated the look of those fans! A tip for you- get a set of small (10cm) CCFLs and put them in the empty 5.25" drive bays, gives a fantastic backlit effect as long as they are not too bright! Personally, I do most of my lights myself with LEDs, resistors, spare molexes and heatshrink. I had a fright once though when I didn't insulate a 12V line properly and it shorted against the case!

My HAF-X just arrived, along with a small surprise...

Dust covers along the bottom vent.

One of the criticisms that came out of reviews was that the bottom had no dust filter, so I guess they decided to add one to recent models. Did yours come with a filter here, Red?

Now all it needs is one on the rear exhaust, so I can run my H70 as an intake and actually get positive pressure inside the case!

Back
Top Bottom