Half-Life: Alyx

Soldato
Now to play it through again with the commentary and the gnome achievement...

Been there, done that. :p
Got all the achievements too which is not normally something I do in a game.

Tip: for a commentary/gnome replay put the game on story difficulty. Many enemies are 1 shots with the pistol, and you have loads of ammo, so it's far easier.

Also make sure you hold on to the gnome during transitions and always place it somewhere out of the way when going into combat. Unfortunately it has a habit of pinging off into the ether due to wonky physics, so you have to be careful how you carry and place it.

Associate
Been there, done that. :p
Got all the achievements too which is not normally something I do in a game.

Tip: for a commentary/gnome replay put the game on story difficulty. Many enemies are 1 shots with the pistol, and you have loads of ammo, so it's far easier.

Also make sure you hold on to the gnome during transitions and always place it somewhere out of the way when going into combat. Unfortunately it has a habit of pinging off into the ether due to wonky physics, so you have to be careful how you carry and place it.

Thanks for the tips. I remember doing the gnome challenge in Half Life 2 (Episode 2) - that was "fun"!

Underboss
found the HL Alyx thread :p

i got this in steam sale, wow , graphics and the whole atmosphere is incredible

im getting rather scared now though !!
just got to a point where the headcrabs have armor, so you cant just shoot them, and I've no ammo, ffs !

Man of Honour
found the HL Alyx thread :p

i got this in steam sale, wow , graphics and the whole atmosphere is incredible

im getting rather scared now though !!
just got to a point where the headcrabs have armor, so you cant just shoot them, and I've no ammo, ffs !

Yup, wait for them to rear up just before they jump and you will see their nice red belly underneath, pop a shot into that and one dead headcrab :)

Associate
yeh 3rd time and i still struggle with progressing in certain areas! i'm not that good at it but i still really enjoy the game. VD? i tried that yesterday and couldn't get a good result with MSFS. my latency in the VD desktop steamer companion app was really low (sub 5) when streaming from my pc to quest but MSFS was a lag fest, not sure why, should've tried another game to test. I'm using Air Link with MSFS and it's fine. It seems there's less to configure than VD which I suppose is both good and bad.

Underboss
quite far into this game now
i do like it
however, i can not rush in "VR" if i was playing this non-VR, i would have completed the game by now i think lol

I've just got to :

I am currently in the Northern Star Hotel sort of area, just picked up the Combine Automatic rifle !!, just about to switch the power off and I'm bricking it, as its right next to the hive? at least ive got 2 grenades and 10 health packs with me !

Associate
I couldn't get Airlink to work very well so went the Virtual Desktop route along with a dedicated ASUS TUF Gaming AX5400 just for the PC (rest of the house use the BT Router). What a difference that made, absolutely solid connection all the time.

Apart from the obvious high end production values, what I really love about HL:Alyx is the workshop content. There are some brilliant maps making for a lot of extra play. The downside is that after playing it many of the other VR titles start looking a bit meh.

Associate
Try the Gunman contracts, Portal and Bioshock mods.
Absolutely superb.

Cheers, I've done both Gunman ones and I'm sure I've done those other two as well. So many to keep track of. Really enjoyed the 007 one but that Golden Gun glitch ruined the third part. Just started a new one which has lots of episodes but I forget the name. Some very talented people out there!

Back
Top Bottom